Options

Nik Color Efex 4

keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited December 3, 2011 in Finishing School
I just downloaded this filter set as an upgrade to version 3. I think Nik has a real classic on it s hands! The ability to stack the filters is a real plus and the new filters are very effective. I can't wait to have an extended play with this software:clap This is quite a leap from Color Efex Pro 3.
Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/

Comments

• Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    I just started playing with Color Efex Pro 3 a few days ago and was already quite impressed. Will have to download the Color Efex Pro 4 trial now that it's out. Seriously considering the Nik Complete Collection at this point...
  • Options
    idiotabroadidiotabroad Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    i have the collection, its cool to use. but i love my Onone much more. if you want great BW then just opt for the silver efex. define is good too but its the same as noise ninga and noiseware.
    Mark

If you don't agree with me then your wrong.
    I can't be held accountable for what I say, I'm bipolar.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    Another way (many ways) to get great B&W: http://mulita.com/blog/?p=1244
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    I'm curious...I use Silver Efex Pro and like it a lot, but I haven't used this program. Does it also allow you to use control points for local adjustments?
  • Options
    Merlin_AZMerlin_AZ Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I'm curious...I use Silver Efex Pro and like it a lot, but I haven't used this program. Does it also allow you to use control points for local adjustments?
    Yes.
  • Options
    greg1701greg1701 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 30, 2011
    Nik Suite
    Ahh, my first post here.. really enjoying reading through all the forums..

As for Nik's suite, I think it's tremendous and has totally changed my processing.. Color Efex Pro is just wonderful... helpful if you're a PS idiot like myself :)

Cheers,
    Greg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 30, 2011
    Cornflake wrote: »

Yes I can and do use Control Points in Photoshop in Silver Efex and Color Efex3, but I cannot seem to get them to work for me in Lightroom3. Anyone else able to use Control Points in Silver Efex or Color Efex in LR3?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    headscratch.gif

Although I usually open through PS so that I can work on a duplicate layer, CPs work fine for me in Silver Efex 2 run as an external editor for LR3. Just tested it.
  • Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Yes I can and do use Control Points in Photoshop in Silver Efex and Color Efex3, but I cannot seem to get them to work for me in Lightroom3. Anyone else able to use Control Points in Silver Efex or Color Efex in LR3?

Yeah -- there is tighter integration in the Photoshop versions of the Nik Software. Those versions also cost more than the Lightroom/Aperture versions. In the Lightroom/Aperture versions, they act as stand-alone editors like MarkR was just pointing out.

So, no -- you can't use control points from *within* LR3 as the integration just isn't there.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2011
    I was hoping I was just doing something wrong in LR3/Color Efex or Silver Efex.

I agree that using the plug ins on a layer in Photoshop offers much more control and masking and blending abilities, but there are times when I just want a quick effect in LR, and was hoping for a way to use Control Points with the plug in without having to go out to Photoshop. I was hoping I was just overlooking something, but alas, no joy.

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    I thought Silver Efex could use local control points.

This is an edit using Silver Efex 2 plugin from Lightroom3.

Or am I misunderstanding the issue (which is possible)?
    SEfex.jpg
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I was hoping I was just doing something wrong in LR3/Color Efex or Silver Efex.

I agree that using the plug ins on a layer in Photoshop offers much more control and masking and blending abilities, but there are times when I just want a quick effect in LR, and was hoping for a way to use Control Points with the plug in without having to go out to Photoshop. I was hoping I was just overlooking something, but alas, no joy.

So you're saying you open CEFEX or SEFEX as an external editor from within LR3, and control points don't work?

Something's broken. I'd try reinstalling and/or calling customer support.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2011
    Ok, then it is possible, just not working for me. Hmmm.