Options

Brand Jump?

BakkoBakko Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited December 5, 2011 in Weddings
Any of you professional photographers ever switched from Canon to Nikon of vise versa?
If so, than why?
5DMKII - 60D - Canon 27-70mm - Canon 10-22mm - Canon 85mm f/1.8
580 EX II - 430 EX II

Comments

• Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    I haven't (still shoot Canon) but I'm not in love with my camera brand. There are lots of other solutions out there that might better suited for a specific individuals need.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    Nope, why would I? :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    Over the years I have used nearly every brand of SLR / DSLR on the market except for Sony and Canon.... I won't buy into Sony as I have never owned a piece of Sony electronics that I have ever liked and SINCE THE sony buy out of Km I sold off nearly everything I had that was Minolta usable...except my KM A2 and that is because it is the only cam I have found that the selective focus point can be moved about the focus screen / LCD screen nearly 100% ... which I found very useful for a lot of landscape and artsy shots....any way...I jumped from KM back to Nikon digital and as stated above..I dislike sony and I still had a Nikon film camera so I went back to Nikon....

Edit..tidbits I forgot to mention ... ... ... I never owned Canon but did use them in the film days....was shooting a wedding the cam had a motor driver and at around roll 6 the Motor drive stripped the nylon drive gear....fortunately that was at the reception and I just shot another roll of party pix..the clients never knew...... recently I had the pleasure of using a 10D, 20D, and found that I liked Nikons set up for buttons and all much better...but then I am used to Nikon but Canon seemed more menu driven and that is not for me....I forgot about the fellow wildlife photog that let me use his gear one day out shooting Baldies 2 yrs ago....he got my images on his cards :~}} the meager price of playing with someone elses gear for awhile....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    Our wedding photographer who's shooting us next year on 12/12/12 was a Canon user when I booked her but recently completely switched over to Nikon. She's got an interesting story about it on her blog here: http://www.christinemeintjes.co.za/2011/10/25/i-moved-from-canon-to-nikon/
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    I own Nikon but I shoot for a studio that is all Canon. Over the years, I've shot many weddings with BOTH systems.

Quite honestly, as much as I enjoy the Canon bokeh and skin tones, I can't stand the control functions, or lack thereof. One of the main differences that I notice, when shooting my full-time work of weddings and portraits, is the incredibly convenient ability to zoom in during image review with a single click. If you customize the "SET" button, you can immediately zoom in to 100% image review, even for off-center focus points if focus was confirmed. On Canon however, you have to first press the play button because for some weird reason, you can't zoom during "instant playback", only during "image review". (whatever the difference is, I have no idea) Then, like most any other DSLR, you have to click "zoom, zoom, zoom" then "scroll, scroll, scroll"... Sure, it's only a 5-10 second difference, but man you get accustomed to the advantage of the Nikon customizations!

Anyways... I think the bottom line for me is that, especially with the next generation of camera bodies looking VERY promising, and considering the incredible progress Nikon has made with new updated primes in the past couple years, ...I'd say that it DEFINITELY is finally truth if we just say, it's a matter of personal preference. I'm super excited to see if Canon makes a "5DX" in late 2012, and while current Nikon rumors indicate we'll see some crazy 36 megapixel D800 next, I'm sure that the D4 will also come soon, will be ~18 megapixels, and that we will therefore see an affordable version eventually. But, that's another discussion for another day!

In conclusion, (lol I feel like I'm writing an elementary school paper every time I say that) ...I would definitely encourage ANY shooter to "try the other side". Either you'll realize what you've been missing all along, or you'll just become even more resolute that you made the right decision in the first place.
    Either way, you'll never know if you never try! I think it's just downright CRAZY that some people never even work with, let alone master, another camera brand other than their own. The camera geek in me wouldn't be able to sleep at night, if I didn't KNOW for sure that I had made the right choice for my own personal preferences. ;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    I shot my first couple of weddings with Pentax, now I shoot with Canon. My wife and I both shoot with Canon 5D Mark II’s. Odd thing is I will always feel drawn back to Pentax. If they make a full frame I might jump back. I just like their ergonomics and glass.