Options

Photograph taken at a bad angle.

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited December 5, 2011 in Technique
I took a photograph of a large group of people. Due to the constraints on space i could not take it straight onn. Does anyone here know if photoshop cs5 have any tools or video tutorials on how to pull the image near straight or as near as possible so i can print it out.
Kind regards
Patrick:D

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2011
    try
    filter , lens correction , custom , horizontal perspective
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited December 4, 2011
    If it's simple perspective correction I use (Windows shortcuts):

Using ACR, allow it to interpolate to 25 MPix and 16 bits. Send the image to Photoshop.

In Photoshop:
    Ctrl-A (Select All)
    Ctrl-T (Free Transform)
    Holding down both Shift and Ctrl keys, Left-Mouse-click-hold on a corner control dot nearest the side furthest from the camera. Pull the control dot vertically away from the image to enlarge that side. Move to the other corner control, on the same side, and move it similarly away from the image.

Now you should have enlarged/expanded the short side and corrected for much of the perspective difference. It sounds like a lot of steps but I find it very fast in practice.

The Lens Correction method "basflt" mentioned also works, as does a Crop Tool method.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 4, 2011
    In Lightroom3, under Lens Corrections in the Develop Panel, there are Horizontal and Vertical sliders as well as rotation and distortion, that can help with an off axis shot.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Patrick,

Can you post the image?

The real heart of the matter is to know what you and your camera can and can not do. people don't understand the limitations of photography. If for example the room is seriously too small, or you don't have a wide angle lens then your best bet might be to move them, maybe try shooting two or three shots and stitching, perhaps a different pose / grouping, front to back as apposed to left to right or worse case don't take a shot you know won't work.

You can always say it didn't work at least for one or two shots..

Sam
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Hi Guys
    I eventually got it sorted. Panicked a bit. Sorry i cant post it up here as it was for a private function. I did take on board what you all said and it looks like i took Ziggys advice and done it properly. Shame really as i was very restricted due to a Rolls Royce in the way in the ballroom. Ten a penny those but still the work of craftsmanship.
    Thankyou all here for your help. As usual i have to come cap in hand here but at least i wont have to ask this question again and hopefully the advice you all gave me here might help someone else who is reading this too.
    Your friend
    Patrick.