The Coupons Business Discussion Thread

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    yobob wrote: »
    It would be very very nice to be able to link the fancy coupon icon and attach it to a gallery, then..........post that link onto say facebook to show your friends. Right now its basically useless.

That's on the list for a future revision to coupons - but for now, many folks make a quick screen grab, like so:

20110508-dpbiu6rtwek6acpisfri4i99rf.jpg
  • mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Not that it matters, but I wanted to provide some feedback regarding requiring credit cards for $0 orders. My event has been posted for less than two weeks. I've had about a dozen customers (about 10%) complain about having to enter their credit card info even though it's not needed, and I've had four who flat out refused to do so. This flaw makes me look foolish and makes SmugMug look foolish.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    mike_k wrote: »
    Not that it matters, but I wanted to provide some feedback regarding requiring credit cards for $0 orders. My event has been posted for less than two weeks. I've had about a dozen customers (about 10%) complain about having to enter their credit card info even though it's not needed, and I've had four who flat out refused to do so. This flaw makes me look foolish and makes SmugMug look foolish.
    I thought of one way around this issue. Go out and get a pre-paid credit card and put zero dollars on it. Then publish the CC info with the coupon code. Even if someone tries to use it for a purchase, it won't work, and your customers won't care anymore. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited May 10, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    I thought of one way around this issue. Go out and get a pre-paid credit card and put zero dollars on it. Then publish the CC info with the coupon code. Even if someone tries to use it for a purchase, it won't work, and your customers won't care anymore. thumb.gif

Interesting. Thanks for the idea. It's a shame that we have to result to something like this to get around this issue.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    mike_k wrote: »
    Interesting. Thanks for the idea. It's a shame that we have to result to something like this to get around this issue.
    One thing I've learned is that there's always workarounds when making a custom workflow. I've had to do it when working for companies, with my own company, and when working with other companies. It's a lot nicer when these workarounds aren't needed though. mwink.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • stevewest15stevewest15 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 25, 2011
    Hi Folks,

We just signed up for a smugmug pro account and shutting down our own online photo ordering system. But it seems like I ran into a major issue which I'm hoping someone here have found a solution.

Is there a way to bulk generate unique coupons?

Most of our events, the hiring client pre-pays for a number of complementary photos (ie 2,000 free 5x7 photos). This requires us to generate 2,000 unique coupons.

Best Regards,

SW
  • Texacali5Texacali5 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 25, 2011
    So how would I offer a discount to customers who refer a friend? Your thoughts?
    J
    edited May 26, 2011
    Hi Folks,

We just signed up for a smugmug pro account and shutting down our own online photo ordering system. But it seems like I ran into a major issue which I'm hoping someone here have found a solution.

Is there a way to bulk generate unique coupons?

Most of our events, the hiring client pre-pays for a number of complementary photos (ie 2,000 free 5x7 photos). This requires us to generate 2,000 unique coupons.

Best Regards,

SW
    Steve - there is not a way to bulk generate coupons. I only had 120 to do, one-by-one, by hand. I can't imagine having to do 2,000 one at a time.

Be aware, too, that if your plan is to use a coupon to cover the entire cost of a 5x7 print plus shipping, your customers will still have to enter their credit card info to process the order. With 2,000 people placing orders, I wouldn't want to handle the complaint calls on that. You would be better off finding a service that does a better job with coupons.

Good luck.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    yobob wrote:
    It would be very very nice to be able to link the fancy coupon icon and attach it to a gallery, then..........post that link onto say facebook to show your friends. Right now its basically useless.
    Andy wrote:
    That's on the list for a future revision to coupons - but for now, many folks make a quick screen grab, like so:

How about just posting an email or message like this:

"Hey fans, you can get xx% off by entering code xxxxxxxxx."
  • dswfotodswfoto Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2011
    Any way to sell coupons or gift cards through SmugMug? It would make a fantastic Christmas present for our clients to buy their friends and family.

I've done it in the past where I offered this, but I had to handle the payment.
  • vegaguyvegaguy Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    dswfoto wrote: »
    Any way to sell coupons or gift cards through SmugMug? It would make a fantastic Christmas present for our clients to buy their friends and family.

I've done it in the past where I offered this, but I had to handle the payment.

What I did was implement that "gift card" feature through an html page and insert the paypal code accordingly. Works well.
  • CookieLynnCookieLynn Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2011
    Coupon
    I'm confused by this statement under the Manage Coupons page:

"We require a valid credit card because you have the power to create coupons that drop your customer's order total below cost. In that situation, your own card will be charged for the remainder of the base price of the prints, and in the case of a print credit, for SmugMug's 15% share of the markup"

Also, just made and saved a coupon/percentage off to my customers. Now how do I activate it?ne_nau.gif

Thanks!

Courtney
    edited December 7, 2011
    How do I activate a coupon I just designed?
    edited December 7, 2011
    Andy wrote: »

Hi Andy!

• cmcmichellcmcmichell Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2012
    Couponing with a limit per customer
    Hello smuggers......:ivar
    I am needing to set up a coupon with a certain amount off per customer.....how do I do this by making the max useage per customer 1 and not using up the coupon on one person. I have to hand this coupon out to 135 customers. Please advise.......there HAS to be a way to set up a coupon for an amt off for use one time by each customer. HELP!!!!!
    Michelle:D
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    CookieLynn wrote: »
    Hi Andy!

What do you mean by activate? Coupons are active as long as they're not expired or used up. You can just give your customers the coupon code once you've set up a coupon and they can use it within the parameters you set.

If you refer to how you can pass out a coupon, you can just paste the code along with details into an email and send it to your customers. There's no built-in function in SmugMug to email out a code. If you like how the coupon is displayed in your control panel > pros tab, you could take a screenshot of the coupon as shown in there and include that screenshot of the coupon in the email you send to customers.

Here's how you can take a screenshot:
    http://take-a-screenshot.org/
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 11, 2012
    cmcmichell wrote: »
    Hello smuggers......:ivar
    I am needing to set up a coupon with a certain amount off per customer.....how do I do this by making the max useage per customer 1 and not using up the coupon on one person. I have to hand this coupon out to 135 customers. Please advise.......there HAS to be a way to set up a coupon for an amt off for use one time by each customer. HELP!!!!!
    Michelle:D
    Hi Michelle and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

You can either create a separate coupon for each customer or create one coupon to be used multiple times.
    It's a trade off. If your biggest worry is that customers would be using the coupon multiple times, your only option is the first one.
    If you don't have time to create and manage multiple coupons, go with the second option.

I'm sorry, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. You have to decide what's more important to you.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • TenduTendu Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2012
    Is it possible to require a minimum order in order to redeem a photo credit? I'd like to offer one 4x6 with the purchase of 2 4x6s. But, when I try, there's no way to fill in the minimum order amount.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to do this as a $-off coupon instead (give the value of a 4x6 with a minimum purchase). Is this correct or is there a work around?
    edited June 7, 2012
    Tendu wrote: »
    Is it possible to require a minimum order in order to redeem a photo credit? I'd like to offer one 4x6 with the purchase of 2 4x6s. But, when I try, there's no way to fill in the minimum order amount.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to do this as a $-off coupon instead (give the value of a 4x6 with a minimum purchase). Is this correct or is there a work around?

Yes, you'd have to use the amount off coupon.

The print credit coupon works similar to a gift card and is specific to one customer. You can't set a minimum order amount on it.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • truviztruviz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 15, 2012
    Preventing coupon and package discount stacking.
    In general I love the coupons and packages, but not the way they work together. I just voted for a feature request to allow the pro to prevent stacking of the discounts. For effective marketing you really need to be able to separate the two discounting methods.

http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/563027-allow-coupons-to-be-disabled-for-packages

Packages and coupons should be able to serve two different functions:

- packages are only used to upsell quantity, at a discount.

- coupons can be used for that, but also can be used for:

--- trigger timing of purchase ("buy within two weeks for 20% discount")
    --- reward returning customers with X% off
    --- viral marketing (customers send friends secret coupon codes for X% off)
    --- reward for facebook page likes (i.e. like-gating)

There needs to be a way to optionally separate the packages and coupons functions. Perhaps in some rare cases you would want the coupon to apply to the already discounted package, but given that the package is already going to represent a discount 100% of the time it would be uncommon.

Please give us either a checkbox on the coupon page for disabling application to packages, or a checkbox on the packages page disabling application of coupons.
  • clappinglizardclappinglizard Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2012
    Hi guys (SmugMug),

Is it possible for me to create coupons for my clients to download images for free by limiting the number of images?

I was thinking that once we set the PriceList for each image, I should create a coupon base on the cost price x number of images that I intend to give out for free. What other additional cost should I add on so both parties don't have to pay anything?

Regards
    Stephen
  • jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2012
    Coupons that are valid for just some customers
    How do I create or set coupons so that they are only valid for specific customers? I need to give a $20 credit to 10 people who paid a $20 sign-up fee at a horse show, but not allow them to "share" the coupon code with friends who could then also get $20 off without having paid the sign-up fee.
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited September 18, 2012
    jcdill wrote: »
    How do I create or set coupons so that they are only valid for specific customers? I need to give a $20 credit to 10 people who paid a $20 sign-up fee at a horse show, but not allow them to "share" the coupon code with friends who could then also get $20 off without having paid the sign-up fee.

You have to give each customer their own specific coupon code - and make the coupons single use only.
  • FabFierceFotogerFabFierceFotoger Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 11, 2013
    Best way to do a "Buy 5 get one 1 free" promotion
    Greetings All,
    I was planning on doing a Buy 5 get one Free promotion and just thought I'd check to see any suggestions or hints from forum on best way. I was planning on using an "Amount Off" coupon with minimum purchase setting equal to buying 4. Intention being they buy 5 use coupon and get equivalent of one free. Is that how others have done or is there a better way to accomplish this?
    Cheers,
    scott
    edited March 17, 2013
    Greetings All,
    I was planning on doing a Buy 5 get one Free promotion and just thought I'd check to see any suggestions or hints from forum on best way. I was planning on using an "Amount Off" coupon with minimum purchase setting equal to buying 4. Intention being they buy 5 use coupon and get equivalent of one free. Is that how others have done or is there a better way to accomplish this?
    Scott,
    The minimum purchase option refers to an amount in USD. So what you could do is to calculate the price of 5 items and then give an amount of in the value of one of the items.
    Note that you can't restrict coupons to specific products which means that a customer can use the coupon with any products as long as the "minimum purchase" amount is met.

Another option might be to use the packages feature which allows you to create a specific set of products and set a price for these. Packages are not available for digital products.
    For details, check out the packages page.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • cfrey6cfrey6 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2013
    Still no link???
    Andy wrote: »

So 18 months later and still no progress on linking the coupon? C'mon Smugmug! rolleyes1.gif
  • taylowataylowa Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    I know my voice is small and I don't do tons of photography (more a hobby than anything) but I would like to see the option that for us on-site photographers to be able to charge a "deposit" to take your X's picture. Then, provide you a coupon for that deposit price (say $5, $10, $20) that you could then go use on the site to purchase pictures. I know people will say "that is doable" but the issue is you can't make X coupons at one time and be able to export the code out to print on cards for your customers. It would be very nice to be able to make 200 $10 off coupons and print them out. Also, it would be very nice to have coupons applied to events. Say you did a wedding with multiple galleries it would be great to provide a coupon to that entire event which you have already setup with the specific galleries instead of having to reselect the galleries again in the coupon mamager.

Again, small voice that I hope someone will hear.
  • ScottLCMScottLCM Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 2, 2013
    Ok so I need some help. I have a business account and have made several coupons in the past so I know how to use the option. But I am currently having issues loading the create a coupon window. This issue started after the update. Am I the only one having this issue if so can some one help me work this out please and thank you.
  • ELPASOPORTRAITSELPASOPORTRAITS Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2013
    How to use Print & ship coupons for a Charity?
    I am doing an event to raise money for a charity and the owner wants the client to pay me a sum of $7 per picture and give her a $1 for the charity.

I would like to have the client be able to have their print shipped to them.

How do I use coupons to give them a print and ship credit for $6.00 without giving them to coupon codes?
  • starsong1966starsong1966 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    Need link for coupon graphic
    So how do I get a link for the coupon that I made? I can't figure it out and I don't see any instructions. I guess we are supposed to make our own graphic, with the coupon code listed to email to our customers?
    It sure would be nice if they made a graphic for us..... ne_nau.gif