bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    Now that made me DIZZY !! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 7, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif. What's the story on this one?
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    I just have a technical comment.

SS30 is too slow for this activity, a wider fstop might have been more appropriate
    Rags
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    I'm trying to decompose this....

Are you sitting on the top-plate of the wall studs shooting down and the fireman is on his right side at ground level having just kicked out the wallboard which is swinging back?
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »

Good! I was wanting a "visceral", physical response to this (though dizzy was not what I was seeking). The blur is deliberate and I wanted it to convey urgency, or chaos, or discombobulation... rather than only a visual, detached viewing of a photo.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif. What's the story on this one?

This is a training exercise for potential firefighters. The situation is that he needed to escape a room quickly to save his life so had to break through the wall and squeeze through the 14 1/2 inch gap with his breathing apparatus. I wanted to capture the urgency and chaos that such a situation entails.

Note that there is a foot at the bottom of the frame that belongs to another person holding the wooden framing steady as he squeezes through it.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    torags wrote: »
    I just have a technical comment.

SS30 is too slow for this activity, a wider fstop might have been more appropriate

The f/stop was deliberately narrowed to give the slow shutter speed and to achieve the motion blur. I believe the shot would have been worsened if motion were stopped and the person appeared sharp and focused. Otherwise I almost always shoot the 17-40 mm lens at f/4.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    I'm trying to decompose this....

Are you sitting on the top-plate of the wall studs shooting down and the fireman is on his right side at ground level having just kicked out the wallboard which is swinging back?

Well decomposed!

I am standing below the bottom of the frame holding the camera out above him (shot at 17mm FL). Direction of travel is to the right as he started from the left and has almost exited the area to the left of the frame.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »
    Well decomposed!

I am standing below the bottom of the frame holding the camera out above him (shot at 17mm FL). Direction of travel is to the right as he started from the left and has almost exited the area to the left of the frame.

So that's your foot as the odd artifact then, right? mwink.gif

• Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    So that's your foot as the odd artifact then, right? mwink.gif

No, it is another trainee holding the framework steady as the subject pushed through it. I am standing to his left close to the beam running vertically and reaching to the right one-handed with my camera in front of this person.