Options

Greetings: Request for feedback, criticism and critiques.

underthesurfaceunderthesurface Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited December 8, 2011 in Technique
If this is not the appropriate forum for this thread, please move accordingly.

I’ve recently come to the realization that photography is a much-needed creative outlet and I would like to pursue it beyond the occasional snapshots of family gatherings and sunsets.

Towards that end; I’ve been trying to educate myself in finer operations of my equipment (Nikon D90) with regards to its settings and different modes of shooting. Additionally, I’m trying to learn the various software applications I have for processing (Lightroom 3 as well as CS5). What I’m finding is I’m chasing multiple avenues of interests, which include landscapes, portraits, nighttime shots, oddball objects, color, black and white etc.

I’m curious to know if this is a sound approach –as it all interests me or would you recommend mastering one area and moving on? If it’s the latter, which area would be a rational starting point?

It seems the fundamentals of composition; focus, coloration and final presentation would all need to be present in any good photograph regardless of the area of interest. Therefore, I would be grateful for any feedback on the following pictures with regards to the fundamentals previously mentioned. My aspiration is to be able to take photographs that begin to approach the quality of shots from the members of this forum.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

1.) October022011-XL.jpg

2.)October092011-XL.jpg

3.)October102011-XL.jpg

4.)
October102011-2-XL.jpg

5.)October182011-XL.jpg

6.) SangredeCristoBWNovember062011-XL.jpg

7.)

November252011-XL.jpg

8.)
November252011-2-XL.jpg

9.)
November252011-3-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Very nice shots. You certainly have a good eye. I would have given the first shot a portrait orientation, as well as cloning out the errant tip of a branch on the upper right (the beauty of digital), but great color and composition. Your night shots are excellent, and a very nice job with the B&W shots, especially #2, which is perhaps my favorite of the group. As far as whether or not you should branch out or stick to one area, that really depends. If you're planning on going into business, you'd probably be best off concentrating on one particular area, but that's certainly not to say you shouldn't shoot other subjects. . .call it cross-training. As you said, all of the fundamentals are present across the different disciplines. Not only that, but you'll find that to most people, photography is photography, so you may consider yourself a Landscape Photographer or a Portrait Photographer, but you may get asked to do a birthday party or a baseball game. And of course, if you're just doing this as a pastime, I see no reason to limit yourself. It seems that everytime I learn something new in one field of photography, it helps give me fresh eyes in another.
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2011
    Islandcrow wrote: »
    Very nice shots. You certainly have a good eye. I would have given the first shot a portrait orientation, as well as cloning out the errant tip of a branch on the upper right (the beauty of digital), but great color and composition. Your night shots are excellent, and a very nice job with the B&W shots, especially #2, which is perhaps my favorite of the group. As far as whether or not you should branch out or stick to one area, that really depends. If you're planning on going into business, you'd probably be best off concentrating on one particular area, but that's certainly not to say you shouldn't shoot other subjects. . .call it cross-training. As you said, all of the fundamentals are present across the different disciplines. Not only that, but you'll find that to most people, photography is photography, so you may consider yourself a Landscape Photographer or a Portrait Photographer, but you may get asked to do a birthday party or a baseball game. And of course, if you're just doing this as a pastime, I see no reason to limit yourself. It seems that everytime I learn something new in one field of photography, it helps give me fresh eyes in another.

Thank you very much for the reply and your kind words.

I went back and changed the orientation of the first shot and removed the branch tip (I hadn't even noticed!) -resulting in a much better presentation. One of the interesting challenges I find myself confronting is overcoming a linear way of thinking and feeling like I need to adhere to what goes into the camera must ultimately be what comes out. This first shot is a prime example as the shot was taken from a landscape perspective while lying on my back. It never occurred to me to switch it to portrait.

The remaining portion of your response makes sense and I appreciate your perspective.

Again, thank you for the reply.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2011
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Nice series.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    That is a sound approach. Just take pictures of what you like..everntually you may find one area is calls to you and then explore that. There really are no rules on this. What really makes for great photgrapher is not neccesariy technique but passion..passion drives everything else. So shoot everything that you are interested in and see where it takes you. But alos what I find is that somone who can shoot one genre well, can generally pick up another genre pretty fast so there is that.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    Well if you want to start taking it seriously you certainly have the eye to do it. Great shots!
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    That is a sound approach. Just take pictures of what you like..everntually you may find one area is calls to you and then explore that. There really are no rules on this. What really makes for great photgrapher is not neccesariy technique but passion..passion drives everything else. So shoot everything that you are interested in and see where it takes you. But alos what I find is that somone who can shoot one genre well, can generally pick up another genre pretty fast so there is that.
    Sound advice and wisdom. I appreciate what you've said. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    Well if you want to start taking it seriously you certainly have the eye to do it. Great shots!
    Thank you. That is very encouraging.