Options

Attachments

W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
edited September 29, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
I can't attach a JPG photo to a post. I get the message 'the limit for this filetype is 117.2MB - your file is xxx.xMB', even though my attachments are under this 'limit' and many loaded by others are many times bigger than 117.2MB.

Then I find on the FAQ that 'the administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum'.

Do I not have the privilege to load attachments, or is there something else I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    I believe we all have the right to attach. I've never had the problems you're having, but you may want to use the "Save for Web" option, which will allow you to trim the size down considerably, and will remove the ICC profile, also making the file smaller.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    I believe we all have the right to attach. I've never had the problems you're having, but you may want to use the "Save for Web" option, which will allow you to trim the size down considerably, and will remove the ICC profile, also making the file smaller.
    Thanks David.

Can you please explain where (in what application) the 'save for web' option is that you refer to? And can you confirm that 117.2KB actually is the JPG size limit and, if so, explain how others are attaching larger files?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Thanks David.

Can you please explain where (in what application) the 'save for web' option is that you refer to? And can you confirm that 117.2KB actually is the JPG size limit and, if so, explain how others are attaching larger files?

That's in Photoshop.

The rest I'll leave to the experts.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    That's in Photoshop.

The rest I'll leave to the experts.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    I also think there is a pixel dimension limitation. I cannot think of what it is at the moment, but if you are under 117KB it should work.

The users with larger images displayed linking to images hosted elsewhere on the internet, smugmug, your own website, other photo hosting sites, etc. That make it a lot easier to manage photos with the forum.
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2005
    Just when I thought I was getting somewhere
    patch29 wrote:
    I also think there is a pixel dimension limitation. I cannot think of what it is at the moment, but if you are under 117KB it should work.

The users with larger images displayed linking to images hosted elsewhere on the internet, smugmug, your own website, other photo hosting sites, etc. That make it a lot easier to manage photos with the forum.
    "File Too Large. Limits are 800 x 1200. Your file is 1050 x 742".

Excuse me?
  • Options
    patch29 wrote:

Can you kindly explain how I do this, Patch? I can't find any reference in the FAQs or help anywhere. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Jeez, this has been frustrating ...
    ... but i think I've got it!

37947446-L.jpg
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    Im always from the other side of the paddock ..buuuut...sometimes i have found that 117 on my computer become about 120 when i try to post so i make them about 110 & they fit nicely ne_nau.gif i have no idea why this happens
  • Options
    Humungus wrote:
    Im always from the other side of the paddock ..buuuut...sometimes i have found that 117 on my computer become about 120 when i try to post so i make them about 110 & they fit nicely ne_nau.gif i have no idea why this happens
    Humungus

I've given up on uploading which is a real hit and miss affair, now i've finally worked out how to link to my smugmug galleries.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    Using photos with this forum is described well in this thread. Hopefully that will help.
  • Options
    patch29 wrote:
    Using photos with this forum is described well in this thread. Hopefully that will help.
    That's what I used, but finding it took me an entire afternoon. This information could be usefully folded into the FAQ/Help text IMHO.