Cat suggestion

Mike WernerMike Werner Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited January 24, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Oh Bald-one,

Just a little suggestion to improve on a great site, how about splitting the posting of photos in to categories, ie, something in line like "Action, Landscape, Portraits, Macro". Makes it easier to go to an area in which the reader is interested.
Mike Werner
Paris, France

http://news.motorbiker.org/

Comments

• cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2004
    Oh Bald-one,

Just a little suggestion to improve on a great site, how about splitting the posting of photos in to categories, ie, something in line like "Action, Landscape, Portraits, Macro". Makes it easier to go to an area in which the reader is interested.
    But you need every permutation. The shot of the bee hovering over the flower is Macro/Action. The closeup of the runner's face is action/portrait, the shot of a powerboat skimming the lake in front of a mountain is action/landscape.

Just having a misc or "doesn't fit" category doesn't do it. Lets say I have a shot of the NTT chairman in a restaurant in Cannes. Is it journalism or travel or because my wife is in the shot, family?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Mike WernerMike Werner Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    But you need every permutation. The shot of the bee hovering over the flower is Macro/Action. The closeup of the runner's face is action/portrait, the shot of a powerboat skimming the lake in front of a mountain is action/landscape.

Just having a misc or "doesn't fit" category doesn't do it. Lets say I have a shot of the NTT chairman in a restaurant in Cannes. Is it journalism or travel or because my wife is in the shot, family?
    Bee shot is macro, runner face is Portrait, powerboat is Action, NTT chairman is Portrait. You don't want a large number of categories, hence I suggested 4.

If not, you need to wade through a lot of photos you might not be interested in. I for example am totally not interested in macro photos, but often you can't tell from the title what you're dealing with. It's OK now, but what happens when this little club turns in to a big club ??
    Mike Werner
    Paris, France

http://news.motorbiker.org/
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    Bee shot is macro,
    Certainly if the bee is on the flower but hovering with the wings blurred is really something else. Hmmm... a nature category
    runner face is Portrait,
    With all the strain of the running showing, it is clearly action even though it is also a portrait. And that is my point.
    powerboat is Action,
    Really depends on the prominence of the like/mountains vs the powerboat and it could still easily be journalism, travel, or sport ...hmmm 3 more categories.
    NTT chairman is Portrait.
    Now I haven't posted those photos but that is clearly not the case. Journalism or travel or family but the shots do not fit into any of the categories you have proposed.
    You don't want a large number of categories, hence I suggested 4.[\QUOTE]

You don't want categories that are only framing type and you don't want categories that are only content based or a very large % of shots will be classified in ways that are not really accurate. What is more important, to divide between macro and portrait or between nature and sports. If you enforce either then there will be a lot of unsatisfied folks inluding readers and contributors.
    If not, you need to wade through a lot of photos you might not be interested in. I for example am totally not interested in macro photos, but often you can't tell from the title what you're dealing with. It's OK now, but what happens when this little club turns in to a big club ??
    I can see a future problem with scaling but it gets much worse if we are forcing square pegs in round holes.

Maybe 30 or so categories with a kind of cross posting mechanism so that a closeup shot of the eye of a president's coked-up daughter could be seen by the 'macro', 'medical', and 'journalism' groups without bothering the 'scenic', 'nature', 'sports' groups.

Course the S/W probably doesn't support it :(:
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    30 categories? That's a lot. But the initial point is well taken - there are so many shots pouring into "Show Us Your Best" even with the current small membership, that it will become impossible to keep track once the membership grows significantly. Any kind of parsing would be welcome.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    30 categories? That's a lot.
    That would still be ten fewer forums than ukgser.com :lol
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    Wow, 44 forums I counted. They've split the British Isles into more parts than than ADV does the US. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au