Options

Sorting image files shot on Multi Cams - same event.

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited December 9, 2011 in Finishing School
I can sort files in LR but that only sorts the LR catalog...changes nothing on the original file on HD....
Is there any software (preferabley free) that can sort (quickly hopefully) Multi cam shots by capture time to get the original folder in order of capture time???

T.I.A.
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Not sure what all you are wanting to do, but if your times are correct on your two cameras, you can sort by capture time in LR. At the bottom of the Library, look for the az Sort: and select Capture. Though to get it in folder order, you will probably have to use the rename feature on Export to make it tidy.

True, that won't cure the original folder. If you want that, you can go to View, select details and then sort on Date Picture Taken.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Just curious, Art. Why would you particularly care how they're displayed in the folder, since you can always sort them in the folder or catalog. What am I missing. I know you know your stuff, so I'm not asking just to be a smart-ass.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    jww wrote: »
    Not sure what all you are wanting to do, but if your times are correct on your two cameras, you can sort by capture time in LR. At the bottom of the Library, look for the az Sort: and select Capture. Though to get it in folder order, you will probably have to use the rename feature on Export to make it tidy.

True, that won't cure the original folder. If you want that, you can go to View, select details and then sort on Date Picture Taken.

Hope that helps!

As I said in the OP I know I can do this this in LR...but I want to sort outside of LR...sort and renumber so that my folder(s) match my catalog.....the lower tool bar in LR gets a lot of work from me and always has....

Icebear wrote: »
    Just curious, Art. Why would you particularly care how they're displayed in the folder, since you can always sort them in the folder or catalog. What am I missing. I know you know your stuff, so I'm not asking just to be a smart-ass.

I know you're not being a smart ass and you're probably not missing anything....but I really want my HD folders to match my LR catalog....why....well so that in say a tidbit of time down the road and I want to rework a certain file in another software or just want to re work the file I can find it on the HD and start from scratch ... ... I have friends that I do allow to use some files from time to time, for teaching purposes, and they see image 203 and they want to play with it..so I can easily send them that file if I know which it actually is... it is just an ART thing
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    This may work for you. You can set the file explorer to sort on the date the picture was taken, which should be in the image metadata, instead of its default sort which is name or date when the file was last modified.

Do a right mouse button on the bar with the file attributes on it. Choose more...

i-5RjXs97-L.png

Scroll down into more until you see "Date Taken" and check that. Click OK

i-J52Dj4p-L.png

Go back an click on the Date Taken heading. Each time you click on it, it will toggle between up and down sort order.

i-jb6Pz6D-L.png

This depends on the file explorer being able to find that metadata and on the metadata reflecting that actual times the pictures were taken.

If this doesn't work there are some more drastic things you can do, but try this first.

Art Scott wrote: »
    As I said in the OP I know I can do this this in LR...but I want to sort outside of LR...sort and renumber so that my folder(s) match my catalog.....the lower tool bar in LR gets a lot of work from me and always has....
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,834 moderator
    edited December 6, 2011
    Picasa allows you to sort by date and time. Then it allows you to rename the images, based on the previous sort sequence. If I remember correctly Picasa had a kind of odd renaming convention, so I also had to add a filename prefix later in order to get proper sorting in the operating system and ProShow, for instance. (I used a small batch file automation to add the filename prefix.)

I think that IrfanView has some similar capabilities.

Do be sure to only work on copies of the files, just in case. Start with a small subset until you have the exact procedure worked out.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,834 moderator
    edited December 6, 2011
    Also this system. (Link loads a video utorial.):

http://www.geeksontour.com/showme/picasa/pica23_organize-date.cfm
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    This may work for you. You can set the file explorer to sort on the date the picture was taken, which should be in the image metadata, instead of its default sort which is name or date when the file was last modified.

<snip>

Dan......all images are taken on the same date...so what explorer offers is of no use...explorer does not offer CAPTURE TIME as an option for sorting...I need capture time sorting outside of LR... ... and GOOGLING anything with "sort and Time " in the search box brings back tons of crap on time scheduling software ... ... ... sometimes I really hate GOOGLE :~]

Thanks for trying tho.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Picasa allows you to sort by date and time. Then it allows you to rename the images, based on the previous sort sequence. If I remember correctly Picasa had a kind of odd renaming convention, so I also had to add a filename prefix later in order to get proper sorting in the operating system and ProShow, for instance. (I used a small batch file automation to add the filename prefix.)

I think that IrfanView has some similar capabilities.

Do be sure to only work on copies of the files, just in case. Start with a small subset until you have the exact procedure worked out.
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Also this system. (Link loads a video utorial.):

http://www.geeksontour.com/showme/picasa/pica23_organize-date.cfm

Thanks ZIGGY I will look into these...COPIES...ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO...I did not even open my first raw file in LR as the Original...I make and delete tons and tons and tons of copies every week......always good to be reminded of that tho. :~}}

• Options
    threecubedthreecubed Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    Date taken should be both a date and time field, if it is recorded for your files. My D90 seems to record the capture date/time as Date Taken only on JPG's, not RAW files (that field is blank for my RAW files). The "Date Modified" field may actually work better. As long as you aren't modifying the originals, that should be the date/time the picture was captured (at least it is on my D90, for both JPG and RAW files).

It looks like Ziggy may have some other options for you that will actually rename the files if you want to go that route.

But I'm still not sure why it matters how the originals are sorted on the hard drive. In LR where everything is organized and sorted to your liking, you can just right-click the image you want to open from the hard drive and select, "Show in Explorer" and it will open Windows Explorer with the file you want pre-selected. That way you can send the original to someone else as you mentioned you like to do. Or if you want to edit the image in another application, there's an option for that in the right-click menu as well.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2011
    threecubed...It is really just an ART thing.... I do all of my culling of images outside of LR / PS
    in windows photo viewer...larger image and I want to sort and renumber them before I get into
    LR / PS ... just my way .... I use cue cards for a lot of events but if I had a software to do
    the sorting & renaming outside of PS & LR then I can be sorting one job and actually working on another...
    If I do it all inside of PS or LR then I can only do 1 thing at a time...import and sort...process...then export
    and rename....with other software ...I can sort and rename and be processing at the same time...
    2 different jobs ......

Also I could not find anything like this addressed anywhere on the forum...so I wanted to address
    it for people that do not have LR and might also need to be able to sort by capture time ...

For this one event I took the route of doing it al l in LR 3....it was a waiting game for it to import / sort
    and render my previews, process and export /rename .... waiting is wasted time for me ...

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Faststone Image Viewer can do that
    in right pane choose ; Report view ( the middle of the 3 view-icons )
    next to that are 2 drop-boxes
    in the right one choose ;Date

strange detail ;
    in my PC , Faststone and LR differ 3 seconds from e.a , but basically they display same capture time
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    thanks everyone.....Faststone Image viewer, I like very well...
    That is instanious the sorting is done as soon as it opens a folder...
    wow... ... ... ... gonna be a real time saver

THANX AGAIN.

• Options
    threecubedthreecubed Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    thanks everyone.....Faststone Image viewer, I like very well...
    That is instanious the sorting is done as soon as it opens a folder...
    wow... ... ... ... gonna be a real time saver

THANX AGAIN.

That looks like a nifty little app! So are you using it to rename the photos so that the names are in chronological order? Or did sorting in Windows Explorer not work for you for some reason?
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    threecubed wrote: »
    That looks like a nifty little app! So are you using it to rename the photos so that the names are in chronological order? Or did sorting in Windows Explorer not work for you for some reason?
    sorting in Windows dont work , because it cannot read RAW , Faststone does
    its a nice viewer indeed , and free too
    http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    threecubed wrote: »

I neded a stand alone software to quickly sort files from Multi Cameras events...they have to be sorted by CAPTURE TIME and FASTSTONE does this nicely

basflt wrote: »

There are a couple of plugins that allow viewing of DNG and Raw in windows but not actual sorting or arranging by CAPTURE DATE.....

But I can't see away to renumber / rename in faststone...but that can be done upon export from LR.

Thanx again.

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    Windows Explorer will read/sort on data taken for raw, but you need to add raw support to explorer from Microsoft here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829

Then set the folder type to pictures and videos. Once you do that the images, including raw, are sorted by date/time taken, not the file date/time. You can also see a lot of the exif data, if you want, add the exif properties to the file properties shown by explorer

i-hDmPNgB-L.png

• Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    ART , what you mean with : "But I can't see away to renumber / rename in faststone " ?

you can rename , batch-rename , convert
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Windows Explorer will read/sort on data taken for raw, but you need to add raw support to explorer from Microsoft here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829

Then set the folder type to pictures and videos. Once you do that the images, including raw, are sorted by date/time taken, not the file date/time. You can also see a lot of the exif data, if you want, add the exif properties to the file properties shown by explorer

i know and you are right , i have them too , NEF and CR2
    but i removed them as i dont like it , i prefer Faststone over Windows
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    ART , what you mean with : "But I can't see away to renumber / rename in faststone " ?

you can rename , batch-rename , convert

Guess I had not found that yet in the instructions ... good thing I have a few RAW files copies to play with... unfortunately I am not as computer literate as I wish I was......wow just a bit of poking around and that is cool...one thing missing from the convert list ... DNG ... but I am begining to like this FastStone...

I have not remeoved the windows plugings for viewing DNG and RAWS but they are not reliable for me....by that I mean they only work intermittently I was very excited when I found them a few months back but then they started going wonky ...for going thru and culling images it was great as I was looking at images the size3 of my screen in win image viewer....but nowe FastStone seems to load much faster than LR and givng me the speed with which it sorts and all... FastStone wins...at least for now.

Thanks agan BASflt

• Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    select a pic
    either right-click > rename , or hit F2 key
    batch-renaming ; tools from menu , or F4 key

changes appear in LR too , after synchronize the folder
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    yeah...found what I needed under tools.....

THANX AGAIN!!