Options

Ice #91 C&C - first try

JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
edited December 10, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are my first tries.. I bumped up the resolution, did some edits, but haven't cropped much. To see the largest versions you can go here. I can do some cropping on all of the images if any of them look like they might be good enough. The largest versions have some pretty detail.

I could use advice on how to crop or anything else if anyone has the time to look at the originals or just advice on these. Much appreciated! :-)

Thanks.

1. "Pure Ice" (this is the xlarge size)
P1070107ice1-XL.jpg

2. Pure Ice
P1070128ice2-X2.jpg

3. Pure Ice
P1070101ice3-X2.jpg
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    #2 is the best crop in my opinion... the ice is a bit over exposed tho... I would see if you can adjust that a bit.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    Here is #4:

P1070091ice4-X2.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    #2 is the best crop in my opinion... the ice is a bit over exposed tho... I would see if you can adjust that a bit.

OK .. thanks! I can crop all of them differently. I didn't post the largest versions here, but if you want to see them enlarged you can see them here. I've looked at them so much I can't see the forest for the trees now.. Laughing.gif {{crop this way .. edit .. ooops .. undo ... crop that way ... arghhh!}} :-)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Jenn - I really like the nail polish idea - why don't you forget the frozen ice and expand on the polish (keep the bottle in the shot)? I'll bet you could get some creative shots with that.

Nail polish on ice doesn't quite make sense to me.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    I also really like your comp/crop in #2. I think the polish with the ice is the way to go (as opposed to just the polish like in #4). Great idea. I will agree that the ice in #2 is overexposed. I would want to see some detail in the ice. Get that good sharp detail in the ice & keep the comp as in #2 and I think you'll have it. clap.gif

Sherry
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Oh, let me clarify. I wasn't suggesting to just shoot the polish. I thought maybe some action with hands could work.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Funny how two people see something differently. I thought the "Just Ice" polish actually on some ice (or in the ice) was just a really 'cool' idea. mwink.gif So while normally, polish on ice wouldn't make sense, to me in this case it does because of the name of the polish. I just loved the play on the name.

Sherry
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    slpollett wrote: »
    Funny how two people see something differently. I thought the "Just Ice" polish actually on some ice (or in the ice) was just a really 'cool' idea. mwink.gif So while normally, polish on ice wouldn't make sense, to me in this case it does because of the name of the polish. I just loved the play on the name.

Sherry
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Oh, let me clarify. I wasn't suggesting to just shoot the polish. I thought maybe some action with hands could work.

Thanks for the input Sherry and Sandi. I was thinking the same thing as you, Sherry, about the name being a play on words... that it would fit the challenge. I was looking for something out of the ordinary to do and it was right in front of me... That little bottle of nail polish "Pure ICE!" Laughing.gif I'll work on the crop and comp. :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Agreed on #2 if you can get the image "crispier" - sharper focus and more detail on the actual ice as it's too overexposed....if shooting again, perhaps a polarizing filter could help? GP
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    Here are two edits with new crops... Better? thoughts?

2b: "Pure Ice"
    P1070128ice2b-X2.jpg

3b: "Pure Ice"
    P1070101ice3b-X2.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    2b is better in my opinion.... both the crop and the color. Seems like your white balance is off on 3b.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    I like what you are doing with 2b and 3 b. Great concept. (I like the Ice [product] on Ice) I would like to see more detail in the ICE [the frozen kind]. Try bracketing you exposures more and then you have more to work with in PP.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2011
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    2b is better in my opinion.... both the crop and the color. Seems like your white balance is off on 3b.

thanks ... I think what you're seeing is that I have different filters on each image. I'll try a different filter on 3b and see if it's more pleasing to the eye.
    kwickers wrote: »
    I like what you are doing with 2b and 3 b. Great concept. (I like the Ice [product] on Ice) I would like to see more detail in the ICE [the frozen kind]. Try bracketing you exposures more and then you have more to work with in PP.

question: If I shoot for more detail in the [frozen] ICE... won't it take the focus away from the [product] ICE?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    For a crop - why not reshoot a full fame image of 2/2b, but keeping the bottle over there on the left 1/3 of the image? I like the distance that you have from the bottle in 2/2b and the concept is great, but it might be a little more dramatic if it was a wider shot. I also really like the condensation on the bottle. It adds a lot, imo.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2011
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    For a crop - why not reshoot a full fame image of 2/2b, but keeping the bottle over there on the left 1/3 of the image? I like the distance that you have from the bottle in 2/2b and the concept is great, but it might be a little more dramatic if it was a wider shot. I also really like the condensation on the bottle. It adds a lot, imo.

I can actually go back to the uncropped original image and probably edit and crop it wider. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2011
    Here is 2b-WIDE with a new edit and wider:

P1070128ice2bWide-X3.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    oh yeah. i like where this is going :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2011
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    oh yeah. i like where this is going :)

thanks! :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2011
    Ice #91 C&C - 2nd try
    I've taken some mores shots of this idea... here they are. Is 4a or 5a better than 2bwide, or should I just stick with my 2bwide?

Opinions, thoughts welcome.

4a:
    P1070249ice4a-XL.jpg

5a:
    P1070255-5a-X2.jpg

This one, 3a, is the best one of the first try:
    P1070128ice2bWide-XL.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)