Free coffee

DSC0660-XL.jpg

Hmmm... street photography... :D
Rags

Comments

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    Rags, They're technically excellent, but they're snapshots. Because they're so good technically, any one would be useful to illustrate an article in a local newspaper, and I guess you could call that photojournalism if you believe that a single photograph with accompanying text is photojournalism, but there's nothing there in any of the three to turn it into a street photograph.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Rags, They're technically excellent, but they're snapshots. Because they're so good technically, any one would be useful to illustrate an article in a local newspaper, and I guess you could call that photojournalism if you believe that a single photograph with accompanying text is photojournalism, but there's nothing there in any of the three to turn it into a street photograph.

Thanks Russ for looking in and your comments, much appreciated.

I'm surprised that with over a hundred views (quality of the pix aside); no one commented on an image (in IR) of a snowboarder upside down, 14' in the air, downtown - in a city that doesn't get snow. The city hall shot was thrown in for context.

Hmmm....
    Rags
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    You want comments? Are you sure? :-)

OK, IR is fine. I have a converted camera myself. In this particular case, it adds an interesting dimension but otherwise does not either add nor subtract in my opinion. Other people may object due to the false colors, but I don't, as I like IR.

As for snow boarding in SF. Yes, it is a great setup, but you particular image, shows... a snowboarder in mid-air. Something that we expect a master sport shooter like yourself can produce. In SF? Hm... yes, that's weird, but people only know it's SF because you said it on your title. Now even if they know, then so what? It's still just a snowboarder doing trick in mid-air.

Would it help if there are are more context, may be with the snow machine (assuming it did not really snow in SF :-) )? May be. Would it help if you show why he's doing it? (Filming a commercial?) May be. May be some interaction between some spectators? May be.

Yes, there are thousands interesting possibilities. If people don't know it's SF, then it's just a snowboarder in mid-air. If people know it's SF, then they may want to see more from the picture.

My Humble Opinion of course.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 15, 2011
    I used to live in SF, so it's all easily recognizable. Nevertheless, I think you would have done better to get a little more snow into the set--there's a bit in the first one, but only a bit--and you have to look closely at #2 to realize it's a snowboard, not a skateboard. It's a nice sport shot though. #3 doesn't really work for me--there's no clear story and the IR doesn't do much for the people. On the contrary, it draws the eye to the trees, which as usual look great in IR. A wide IR shot of the plaza and City Hall shot further to the left would work as a cityscape.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2011
    Thanks Richardman for your comments, you made my point. Thanks for your valid comment Richard

I tested a theory here. I believe people have baggage (knowledge of the subject, bias, association, etc) when they see an image.

That's one of the reasons I don't believe a picture has to tell a story. But text can help especially in an unusual situation.

This shots are of an anomaly.

I supplied facts: the location that doesn't get snow (fair enough, not everyone knows that), verification it was a downtown City Hall shot (for those that require "urban") & white trees to indicate IR. A snowboarder upside down in the air in view of a highrise in the frame is remarkable in itself.

The J part of PJ is this.

The promoter sponsored by equipment makers builds a portable frame, puts plastic sheeting on the frame and has his folks toss crumbled ice on the surface from 50lb bags, holds the event and removes the entire structure in one day.

Pretty damned remarkable.

Here is a shot of a side of the ramp structure and bags of ice (near the boarder going up the stairs)
    RAG6437-XL.jpg
    Jeeze I love to capture people doing their personal best
    RAG6182-XL.jpg

So does one picture have to tell a story... Maybe not
    Rags
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    torags wrote: »
    I'm surprised that with over a hundred views (quality of the pix aside); no one commented on an image (in IR) of a snowboarder upside down, 14' in the air, downtown - in a city that doesn't get snow.
    So that's what it is! :D
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Rags, do you have more like the #1 in your 2nd post? I bet there are interesting shots there.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2011
    These youngsters (teens and preteens) were like a warm up for the event. I thought this one cute; I wonder if the head passed wind?... :D

RAG6040-XL.jpg
    Rags