Rags
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2011
    I'd say she was Out Santa'd rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    This is a GREAT setup - how often do you find everyone in a Santa hat and one person not like the others? Work the scene and this could have been a great photo. Remember the gray tone santa woman? That works because one of the photos was a good snapshot and the gray tone makes the picture.

(yes, I do sound like a broken record, and I have a billion misses myself...)
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 15, 2011
    OK, rainbow, I think you've got everything you need here for a fine image but the conversion isn't working for me. A bunch of Asian Santas surrounding an Islamic woman and a pair of crutches in the foreground--not your everyday street scene (even in SF :D). However, the image is flat. You ought to be able to do something creative with the red channel to give it a little more pop.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    torags wrote: »
    Everybody can like the Christmas season... good grab
    bfjr wrote: »
    I'd say she was Out Santa'd rolleyes1.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2011
    richardman wrote: »
    This is a GREAT setup - how often do you find everyone in a Santa hat and one person not like the others? Work the scene and this could have been a great photo. Remember the gray tone santa woman? That works because one of the photos was a good snapshot and the gray tone makes the picture.

(yes, I do sound like a broken record, and I have a billion misses myself...)

Thanks! Unfortunately, there really was no further working the scene. I saw her approach this bottleneck of Santa's (I was going to work the motorized bike/crutch Santa) and felt fortunate that all the eyes went to the baby while catching the crutches on the right edge. I dashed to the left a few paces for a second snap which was not as good. Then the moment was no more.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    OK, rainbow, I think you've got everything you need here for a fine image but the conversion isn't working for me. A bunch of Asian Santas surrounding an Islamic woman and a pair of crutches in the foreground--not your everyday street scene (even in SF :D). However, the image is flat. You ought to be able to do something creative with the red channel to give it a little more pop.

I am so glad you noticed! Because I actually was creative with the red channel to deliberately flatten the Santa's to an anonymous grey. I wanted the woman and carriage to pop against the mass of grey. But I rued that the girl on the left was not in Santa red/grey and wore black so that I could not really achieve completely the effect I wanted.

And you noticed the crutches... His sign says "We are the 99%", but I deliberately cropped it out to focus on the people...

Thanks for the feedback. I will revisit processing on this as it is my favorite shot from the event that day (even more a favorite than "Vixen"...)