Options

Occupy DC again

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited December 18, 2011 in Street and Documentary
These were shot last night when the police tore down a large wooden structure that had been erected in McPherson Sq. A couple of things made this difficult:

#1 I wasn't intending to go at all and take pictures, but a friend and I went out to dinner and afterwards we were bored and stopped by to see what was going on.

#2 Lots of other media were there and I didn't want to get in the way of people actually working and making a living.

#3 I had to keep an eye on my friend, and so I didn't change position too much.

Anyway, past those excuses, here are three shots I thought were decent. Nothing too spectacular.

IMG8260-XL.jpg

IMG8383-XL.jpg

IMG8389-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    Last picture posted, comments, criticisms and other candid comments are welcome.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    The last one is good. The eye contact between your two subjects makes an interesting focal point. The first two don't have much going on as a main subject.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    The last one is good. The eye contact between your two subjects makes an interesting focal point. The first two don't have much going on as a main subject.

Thanks! I certainly agree with this conclusion, as it is my own.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 6, 2011
    Yes, the last one is better. #1 is OK, but doesn't say protest--it could be almost any public event that attracts a crowd. #2 is better in that regard--the sign and the riot helmet--but despite the cool lighting of the face shield, the image doesn't really engage me. The third one is interesting in that the interaction of the cop and the guy on the left seems friendly, not confrontational.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    Richard wrote: »
    Yes, the last one is better. #1 is OK, but doesn't say protest--it could be almost any public event that attracts a crowd. #2 is better in that regard--the sign and the riot helmet--but despite the cool lighting of the face shield, the image doesn't really engage me. The third one is interesting in that the interaction of the cop and the guy on the left seems friendly, not confrontational.

Thanks, Richard. That's what I was trying to convey. I saw these guys engage in conversation, and it at first it was argumentative. I took a few shots from the opposite side of them, but the lighting was off. Shortly after I moved to the other side, they were done arguing and had simply moved on to talking about being out so late. That continued into a conversation about family, and that brought smiles from both of them.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    This is just a shot in the dark to get a few more looks at this. It was really popular among several friends (not photographers) and I would just like to see a few more expert opinions. If there's nothing else to say, then that's all there is to it, and I ask no more! Thanks guys and gals.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    This is just a shot in the dark to get a few more looks at this. It was really popular among several friends (not photographers) and I would just like to see a few more expert opinions. If there's nothing else to say, then that's all there is to it, and I ask no more! Thanks guys and gals.

The first is just a shot of some reporters and a cop;

The second could be quite good, but is too muddy at the moment;

The third is excellent! The eye contact between the Park Policeman and the protester makes this quite special. Well done.clap.gifclap
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Yes, #3 is very fine, Qunicy. The expressions make it good, but I don't entirely agree with BD on #2. As it stands, BD's right. It's too muddy. But I think a bit of work in Viveza could salvage it. What I'd do is use one U-Point to pull down the cop's jacket. It's black isn't black enough. Then I'd pop a second U-point on his face and bring it up a fair amount. I think the picture could be somewhat ominous if the cop's face were the picture's reference point. The light there is good. Just needs a little work.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    Thanks gents, I actually meant to just ask for comments on three, but that came to fruition well enough anyway. I'm excited about trying what you said with #2, Russ, but will first to learn not only what Viveza is, but also a U-point.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    Viveza is a Nik software plugin for Photoshop and Lightroom as well as for the Apple equivalent. It's an incredible tool as are the other Nik plugins, especially Silver EFEX Pro, which I use for all my B&W conversions nowadays.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Viveza is a Nik software plugin for Photoshop and Lightroom as well as for the Apple equivalent. It's an incredible tool as are the other Nik plugins, especially Silver EFEX Pro, which I use for all my B&W conversions nowadays.

Excellent, I will check this out. Also, are you still in Florida? What part do you spend the winter in? I don't know how you feel about internet meetups, but if you'd ever be willing to share a nugget of experience with me in person, I live in the south Tampa area. I'm rarely home, but I try to take advantage of the time I am.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2011
    Hi, Quincy. I let this one go by and, once I remembered it, had to hunt for it to answer. I'll be in Florida until May. I don't get down to Tampa often but next time I go, if I know in advance that I'm going, I'll try to let you know. If you're there we might get together for a beer in Ybor City -- assuming we could find a place in Ybor that sells beer.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2011
    Hi, Quincy. I let this one go by and, once I remembered it, had to hunt for it to answer. I'll be in Florida until May. I don't get down to Tampa often but next time I go, if I know in advance that I'm going, I'll try to let you know. If you're there we might get together for a beer in Ybor City -- assuming we could find a place in Ybor that sells beer.

I know of one or two such establishments there. I think. Hmm. :D

Yes I would really like to get together with you next time you're here, that'd be excellent. I've never had an opportunity to really just sit down and pick at an experience photographer's brain, or even discuss the subject that much. My wife's family has several amateurs and one professional, but the rare time I spend with them is enjoying the holidays as opposed to much photography discussion.

Long and short of it: I'd really like that. haha.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2011
    Yes, #3 is very fine, Qunicy. The expressions make it good, but I don't entirely agree with BD on #2. As it stands, BD's right. It's too muddy. But I think a bit of work in Viveza could salvage it. What I'd do is use one U-Point to pull down the cop's jacket. It's black isn't black enough. Then I'd pop a second U-point on his face and bring it up a fair amount. I think the picture could be somewhat ominous if the cop's face were the picture's reference point. The light there is good. Just needs a little work.

So here is my first bit of work using this software you mentioned. I think it improved the image quite a bit, just as you thought. New comments on this?

IMG8383-XL.jpg
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    #3 is fabulous!
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2011
    richardman wrote: »
    #3 is fabulous!

Thanks! It's my favorite as well.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2011
    So here is my first bit of work using this software you mentioned. I think it improved the image quite a bit, just as you thought. New comments on this?

I agree, Qunicy. I just wish the floodlights in the background weren't so distracting. Still, it's a good shot.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2011
    Nicer for sure....

Re: floodlights, I like them. The shot has that Berlin Wall feel to it with the big lights illuminating a wall of sorts here. And without those lights, you wouldn't get that great pass-through light on the helmet shield. It's edgy, abrupt and in your face.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2011
    I can't disagree, Scott. I like them too. I only wish they weren't quite so dominating.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2011
    richardman wrote: »
    #3 is fabulous!
    zoomer wrote: »
    That last shot is publication worthy. 3 I mean.

That is probably the most flattering comment I've ever earned. I really do appreciate that.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2011
    I can't disagree, Scott. I like them too. I only wish they weren't quite so dominating.

I tried to tone the floodlights down, but couldn't do much without sacrificing reality. However, I do like the floodlights presence there. I realize they are distracting in a way, but I hope that the viewer can find more substance elsewhere. I know that's a bit backwards, and it is our responsibility to guide those that view our photos, but when I took this picture, I felt the light was integral to the shot somehow or another, and I took it that way. Maybe if I could go back and change it I would, but I cannot! haha
  • Options
    NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the last one. I love the look the two men are giving each other. :)
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the last one. I love the look the two men are giving each other. :)

Thanks! It took a while for them to get to that point with one another, but when they did I was ready to shoot.
  • Options
    BrucheBruche Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    You're showing some amazing talent, Quincy. Number three is my favorite as well...
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2011
    Bruche wrote: »
    You're showing some amazing talent, Quincy. Number three is my favorite as well...

Thank you very much, haha, I still have a very long way to go.