Options

Mule Deer

D90markD90mark Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited December 19, 2011 in Wildlife
I took this shot the last weekend in Nov. at the end of the rut. I had a shot lined up with the entire rack in it but he tipped his head to take a sniff of me so I took what I could and moved on.

DSC2222-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CRobHCRobH Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    Nice Shot!! That is one wide Muley!
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2011
    Thanks.....Yeah he is pretty wide. This was taken on a national wildlife refuge so there are several really excellent bucks that reside and breed there. The rut was really somethig to witness. I have a few more shots I will post up in the future.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Very nice capture.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Looks like about a 34" buck, beautiful animal, Nice shot!
    Their ear width is generally about 24", kind of hard to tell in this shot.
  • Options
    Colorado CJColorado CJ Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    Nice! That is a WIDE rack for a mule deer. I was out with a herd of mulies this morning up in Rocky Mountain National Park (photos should be up shortly).

What wildlife refuge was that? I'd like to visit it some time.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2011
    Nice! That is a WIDE rack for a mule deer. I was out with a herd of mulies this morning up in Rocky Mountain National Park (photos should be up shortly).

What wildlife refuge was that? I'd like to visit it some time.

That was during the rut at Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge. Things have quieted down a bit so now I am on an eagle quest, they are there its just a matter of getting to them.

I really like RMA. You generally get something decent to shoot and its only 15 miles from the house.
  • Options
    Colorado CJColorado CJ Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    Thanks, thought that might be the one you were talking about. Believe it or not, but I've never been there. I'll have to visit soon.

Is there a lot of birds there as well? I love wildlife photography, but I've been mostly concentrating on larger game. I'd like to try my hand at birding as well.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2011
    This weekend was one of the slower times I have been out there, But yes there are birds. Its a little slow now because all the lakes are frozen over. In the winter the Eagles return, there are a lot of raptors and some Owls. The summer is awesome with all the Cranes, Cormorants, Coots, Pelicans.......Etc.