Options

delete saved quick settings

Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
edited September 29, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I find the gallery customization page a little confusing.

Give me a way to delete saved styles. In my list, I have both a "my defaults" and a "my default". The latter was a mistake. How do I get rid of it?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    Gary Glass wrote:
    I find the gallery customization page a little confusing.

Give me a way to delete saved styles. In my list, I have both a "my defaults" and a "my default". The latter was a mistake. How do I get rid of it?

you mean, like this??
    37982503-L.jpg

it's already there, my friend .... deal.gif
    i love it when softballs are thrown :D

wave.gif welcome to dgrin, gary :D
  • Options
    OK, but...
    Thanks. I admit I didn't see it. And this goes back to my point about it being a little confusing. There are reasons why things aren't obvious. In this case there are 3:

1. The control appears only after you select something in the dropdown. Normally, controls appearing and disappearing is not considering good design. For the very reason that people tend not to see it.

2. Your screenshot must be a mac? I'm on a PC. In any case, on my screen the buttons don't look like buttons (as they do on your shot). They look like black-filled white rectangles. Again, why not make them look like buttons? Make them flat and black just makes them all that much easier to overlook.

3. Even when I selected the offending style and deleted it, it remained in the dropdown. So I assumed it was still there. If I refresh or go away and come back, it does leave the dropdown list.

Next issue:

I can't figure out how to change the options in a saved settings. Here's the process I would normally expect: I load the saved settings, modify it, save it. Any galleries that are using that setting will receive those changes. But the process that I find is this:

I go to my home page and select customize under one of the galleries. Under Quick Settings I select "my defaults". All the options are read only. Why? Because what I want to do is modify the options for "my defaults". What do I have to do to get "my defaults" style to be "Journal" rather than "viewer controlled"?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Gary Glass wrote:
    Thanks.

gary, thanks for the detailed feedback, this is great. i've sent this thread to jt, so that he can be sure to see it. give him a few days to respond, he's a brand new daddy :D (see the news forum )
  • Options
    I can help
    andy wrote:
    gary, thanks for the detailed feedback, this is great. i've sent this thread to jt, so that he can be sure to see it. give him a few days to respond, he's a brand new daddy :D (see the news forum )
    Sure. Thanks. I'm admit I'm fussy. I'm a developer by day, and I specialize in GUI design. In fact, I can offer you professional assistance on the site, if you like. For example, a usability review could be a good place to start. Email privately if you like. (Usually I don't have as many typos as in my previous post! Sorry about that!)
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    Gary, thanks for taking the time to elaborate on why you were confused.

As for page elements that show up when you need them, I can see where this would be a problem. I can take a look at how to make it more clear you can delete the item.

You second point about the buttons is also a good one. I can see how they would get lost if the page were busy. I will remove the style sheet code that makes the buttons black and see if they stand out more as a different color.

I'd like to know what browser you are using on the PC. Every browser I tested was able to delete a saved template and the page refreshed with it missing from the list.

As for updating saved templates, I can see if we can add a button that says "update template settings" or something similar.

JT

Gary Glass wrote:
    Thanks. I admit I didn't see it. And this goes back to my point about it being a little confusing. There are reasons why things aren't obvious. In this case there are 3:

1. The control appears only after you select something in the dropdown. Normally, controls appearing and disappearing is not considering good design. For the very reason that people tend not to see it.

2. Your screenshot must be a mac? I'm on a PC. In any case, on my screen the buttons don't look like buttons (as they do on your shot). They look like black-filled white rectangles. Again, why not make them look like buttons? Make them flat and black just makes them all that much easier to overlook.

3. Even when I selected the offending style and deleted it, it remained in the dropdown. So I assumed it was still there. If I refresh or go away and come back, it does leave the dropdown list.

Next issue:

I can't figure out how to change the options in a saved settings. Here's the process I would normally expect: I load the saved settings, modify it, save it. Any galleries that are using that setting will receive those changes. But the process that I find is this:

I go to my home page and select customize under one of the galleries. Under Quick Settings I select "my defaults". All the options are read only. Why? Because what I want to do is modify the options for "my defaults". What do I have to do to get "my defaults" style to be "Journal" rather than "viewer controlled"?
  • Options
    Actually, I'd love to keep this open and public. If at any point in time you are someone else has a better idea of how something should work, mock an example up in photoshop and let us see it. I favor that approach more since everyone can weigh in on something and you can get instant feedback.

We mostly know where our UI hangs people up based off of how many emails support gets on a feature, so a complete site review would kinda be a waste of time and energy. Not to make your problem seem little, but the issue of not seeing the delete button on the gallery templates has never been brought up as far as I know (ben would know for sure, but he has never elevated it to me), and thus would not get a lot of time spent on finding a solution. We learned a while back, if it ain't broke ...
    Gary Glass wrote:
    Sure. Thanks. I'm admit I'm fussy. I'm a developer by day, and I specialize in GUI design. In fact, I can offer you professional assistance on the site, if you like. For example, a usability review could be a good place to start. Email privately if you like. (Usually I don't have as many typos as in my previous post! Sorry about that!)
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    {JT} wrote:
    We learned a while back, if it ain't broke ...
    I bet!

So you're up for UI mock ups and such? Cool!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    ui points
    {JT} wrote:
    Gary, thanks for taking the time to elaborate on why you were confused.

As for page elements that show up when you need them, I can see where this would be a problem. I can take a look at how to make it more clear you can delete the item.

You second point about the buttons is also a good one. I can see how they would get lost if the page were busy. I will remove the style sheet code that makes the buttons black and see if they stand out more as a different color.

I'd like to know what browser you are using on the PC. Every browser I tested was able to delete a saved template and the page refreshed with it missing from the list.

As for updating saved templates, I can see if we can add a button that says "update template settings" or something similar.

JT
    Thanks for response.

Does this mean that I can't modify the template after I've saved it?

I believe I was using Firefox at the time, but I can't swear to it. It might have been IE. (I use two or three at once so I can be logged in on one and not logged in on another.)

Another suggestion on the UI: if I'm logged in, what I really want is a left nav menu that allows me to jump to between all the standard admin stuff. For example:

- Control Panel
    - Customize Home
    - Galleries
    - my 1st gallery
    - my 2nd gallery
    - . . .
    - Account

What I find is that I spend a lot of time navigating around, looking around on the page for the embedded link I need, going back, etc. I think a well-designed left nav could really streamline the process.
  • Options
    Yeah, go for it. I am not saying we will actually implement everything we see, but if the design is a for sure improvement and we think it will work for everyone (and not just the designer), than I don't have a problem implementing it.
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I bet!

So you're up for UI mock ups and such? Cool!
  • Options
    Why not create your own left nav using CSS? It will only show up when you are logged in to the site, if others make it visible it won't matter since they can't do anything once they visit the links anyway.

HEADER (you will need to change the actual links):
    <div id="myleftNav">
    <ul>
    <li><a href="/">homepage</a></li>
    <li><a href="/homepage/controlpanel.mg">control panel</a></li>
    <li><a href="/homepage/cobrand.mg">cobranding</a></li>
    </ul>
    </div>

CSS:
    #myleftNav {
    display: none;
    }

.loggedIn #myleftNav {
    display: block;
    position: fixed;
    bottom: 10px;
    left: 10px;
    border: solid 1px red;
    padding: 10px;
    }

And no, you can't update a saved template right now. I will talk to Don and see what he thinks, but if so it is pretty low on the priority list.

Gary Glass wrote:
    Thanks for response.

Does this mean that I can't modify the template after I've saved it?

I believe I was using Firefox at the time, but I can't swear to it. It might have been IE. (I use two or three at once so I can be logged in on one and not logged in on another.)

Another suggestion on the UI: if I'm logged in, what I really want is a left nav menu that allows me to jump to between all the standard admin stuff. For example:

- Control Panel
    - Customize Home
    - Galleries
    - my 1st gallery
    - my 2nd gallery
    - . . .
    - Account

What I find is that I spend a lot of time navigating around, looking around on the page for the embedded link I need, going back, etc. I think a well-designed left nav could really streamline the process.