Options

Best way to travel 6 months...

pekelharingpekelharing Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited September 30, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
Hi. I'm going travelling for 6 months lateron this year and am trying to figure out the best way to store my digital photos. Anyone have any good suggestions.
My options:
1) Copy pictures to multiple CDs, send 1 CD back home, keep 1 and only destroy that one when home says the CD has arrived OK
2) Upload pictures to smugmug when on the road (anyone have experience uploading several GBs of pictures in South America + Asia?
3) Copy pictures to a portable storage device (anyone have any good suggestions for PSD?)

thanks!
Mark

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    Mark,

I sympathize with your problem and I'd love to help. How about if you send me the expenses and I'll travel for you? mwink.gif

Uploading on the road tons of photos doesn't sound like a good idea. I'd prefer to filter the really good ones first, post processing them and only then upload a select batch.
    I use an XDrive II but for short travels, not 6 months. It uses an internal hard disk that may not live through the duration of your travels.

I think your best bet is burning to multiple CDs. I did this a few years ago in Paris - it took me an hour to find a photoshop that would do it for me and for making two identical CDs of 4 Sony Memory Sticks they took 52 Euro!! Maybe purchase a CD burning device that takes the type of memory you use.

But then again, I'd be happy to take these worries off your shoulder....

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    Hi. I'm going travelling for 6 months lateron this year and am trying to figure out the best way to store my digital photos. Anyone have any good suggestions.
    My options:
    1) Copy pictures to multiple CDs, send 1 CD back home, keep 1 and only destroy that one when home says the CD has arrived OK
    2) Upload pictures to smugmug when on the road (anyone have experience uploading several GBs of pictures in South America + Asia?
    3) Copy pictures to a portable storage device (anyone have any good suggestions for PSD?)

thanks!
    Mark
    How many pics (read, how much data) do you expect to create while you are gone? The economics change a lot if it is 5 GB or 500 GB.
  • Options
    pekelharingpekelharing Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    How many pics (read, how much data) do you expect to create while you are gone? The economics change a lot if it is 5 GB or 500 GB.
    Hi Richard,
    I think I can fill about 20GB quite easily. I'm off to see antarctica, chili, japan, tibet, etc, and think there will be enough things to take pictures off. (must remind myself to look with my own eyes more often than through the lens :):)
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    Hi Richard,
    I think I can fill about 20GB quite easily. I'm off to see antarctica, chili, japan, tibet, etc, and think there will be enough things to take pictures off. (must remind myself to look with my own eyes more often than through the lens :):)
    Given some of you destinations, I think you probably want to be as self-sufficient as possible. That would suggest a laptop with DVD burner, a portable CD/DVD burner or a portable mass storage device. If you search Dgrin's accessories forum you will find lots of info on these.

Have a great trip and post some pics when you get back. :D

Cheers,
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,181 moderator
    edited September 30, 2005
    Mark, I use an Addonics MFR to burn CD's (I need to upgrade to the DVD version) without having a computer or laptop. I make 2 copies from each card, then I reformat the card(s). You could mail one CD/DVD home, and keep the other there with you. This drive also works as a DVD movie player for the TV. Comes with a remote, a rechargable battery, and all cables. Not cheap, but very versatile.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky