Next Lens - Advice

AJMAJM Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited December 27, 2011 in Cameras
I have a 5D Mk II, with the 24-105L lens, and the 50mm 1.4 lens. I am now looking for the next lens to have. I am a family man who appeciates taking photos of my family, some landscapes and anything that catches my eye. What suggestions would you folks be willing to share. I really don't want to overlap lens magnification....if I can help it. But I am open minded. I am also receptive to any lens manufacturers....what d'ya think? I like the 100-400 Canon....don't they call it the dust cannon?....should I be nervous about that. IS I like....USM I like.

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2011
    AJM wrote: »
    I have a 5D Mk II, with the 24-105L lens, and the 50mm 1.4 lens. I am now looking for the next lens to have. I am a family man who appeciates taking photos of my family, some landscapes and anything that catches my eye. What suggestions would you folks be willing to share. I really don't want to overlap lens magnification....if I can help it. But I am open minded. I am also receptive to any lens manufacturers....what d'ya think? I like the 100-400 Canon....don't they call it the dust cannon?....should I be nervous about that. IS I like....USM I like.

The best advice is that you go to a shop and try the lenses yourself.
    Your kit is very nice and compact. I would probably recommend to give
    the Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM and the 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS a try.
    Both would be an excellent extension of your kit.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,021 moderator
    edited December 25, 2011
    There are several directions I can recommend, based on the information given.

The first recommendation is actually 2 different items:

1) I too have the Canon EF 50mm, f1.4 USM and it has earned a place in both my wedding/event kit and my travel kit. The one thing it lacks is a close focus capability. A close focus diopter can turn this lens into a nearly macro capable lens.
    Canon sells the 500D, 58mm, which will fit the threads of the 50mm, f1.4. Another that I found will fit is the Sony VCL-M3358. While the Sony is no longer made, you can occasionally find them on E-Bay and KEH.com for a little less than the Canon.

Either of the above will yield around 1/2 lifesize, with the Canon diopter a little more magnification.

Alternately or additionally you could add an extension tube set.

2) A very good addition to your current kit would be a Canon, Tamron or Sigma, 70-200mm, f2.8 zoom lens. They add a longer focal length, as well as a larger aperture. The larger aperture allows the center AF point of the 5D MKII to go into high-precision mode. The Canon version is also extremely fast to auto-focus.
    The Canon version, specifically, allows use of the Canon 1.4x teleconverter, which is sufficient image quality for professional results (IMO). The extra effective focal length is useful for some wildlife and birding opportunities (larger birds, unless you use lures and a blind.)

A Canon EF 135mm, f2L USM. This lens is spectacular on the 5D MKII. An excellent portrait lens it's also sharp and quick enough for some sports. The bokeh is particularly pleasing and compliments the superb sharpness, even wide open. The DOF control with this combination of FF body and large aperture at this focal length is unmatched. When it's appropriate, it's a wonderful landscape lens.

You don't yet have a Super-wide-angle lens for your body. 2 zooms that I can recommend are:

Canon EF 16-35mm, f2.8L USM
    Canon EF 17-40mm, f4L USM

The 17-40mm, f4L is what I use because I prefer a smaller aperture for how I use the lens. It makes a very nice vista landscape lens on a FF body. Image quality is very similar to the 16-35L at the same aperture and focal length. The 17-40L is smaller, lighter and cheaper too.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AJMAJM Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2011
    I appreciate the responses
    I am going to keep it simple. I will investigate the 500D or Sony....sounds interesting. I like the idea of the extension. I will have one someday, so I suppose I have to choose the time. THe wide angle lenses have an emotional pull....but I am afraid of the needle in the middle of a haystack picture effects....I can learn to beat that I'm sure...but. The 70-200 tried one...ok, not blown away.
  • Cookster has spokenCookster has spoken Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 26, 2011
    Re- 100-400

I couldn't wait.. Got one of the first 100-400's out! Hated it! Too heavy, soft at 400 and the barrel extension at zoom is huge, throwing balance way off. Sold it ASAP. A friend just bought 70-300 L. Very nice lens, good contrast. I have an OLD 100-300 F5.6, super sharp, great lens but a bit slow focus. I reccomend it for all but sports.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    I am going to keep it simple. I will investigate the 500D or Sony....sounds interesting. I like the idea of the extension. I will have one someday, so I suppose I have to choose the time. THe wide angle lenses have an emotional pull....but I am afraid of the needle in the middle of a haystack picture effects....I can learn to beat that I'm sure...but. The 70-200 tried one...ok, not blown away.

I had the 500D and it was passable for a faux-macro, but Not sure how that fits with your family/landscape leanings.

Based on your responses though I have to wonder what it is you're really after? You dismissed the wider range, so thats done.
    Now on the longer end. I can imagine trying a lens and not being blown away, you didn't mention what lens (brand, etc) and what was it that makes you say, not blown away?

Leaning towards the end of the present range you have, Sigma makes a 105mm f/2.8 Macro that can be found used and even new is cheap and it will blow you away: for it's dynamite clarity in portraits and of course it's macro ability too.

Canon's 135L f/2 I own and it is stellar. Canon's 85 f1.2 is another Stellar lens, but requires good technique...which really is applicable to many large aperture lenses.
    tom wise
  • AJMAJM Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    Exactly...!
    I was thinking those exact thoughts, photographer skill, and technique, as I was using my 50mm 1.4 Canon lens wide open in a candid portrrait situation (versus the comments regarding the 85mm 1.2 and the 135mm 2.0). The 70-300mm may be interesting. I plan to lean towards Canon lenses, unless another make/model is the "Talk of the Town". And again...I have opened up to the wides (some hesitation...but not much). Maybe it is the hype I have heard/read of where many folks with these wides/ultra-wides take photos of the world and not pay attention to the subject matter in the photo.....the move closer advice, affect, situation. I suppose that this is relatively easy to overcome, as I see many wides sold for reasonable monies, quickly...and...I see many EXCELLENT images published that are taken with wides....most have made me look twice regarding content...and made me imagine the perspective of the photographer, the lens, the light, etc. It seems that wides are a greater benefit to a man's lens arsenal, than telephotos. Ho-hum...I will eventually have both, but which first. I will have to figure it out for myself as I knew that none of you would convince me, however, I also know that many of you can/will steer me in the direction to head first. Finally, even with two good lenses...I am the master of neither of them...I need to understand them more...as they are both awesome tools, not to be underestimated. I appeciate your feedback. This post-set may help others too!
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    It does ultimately come down to your shooting style and choice of subjects. Perhaps it will help if you look at your photos with your 24 - 105. Are you bumping up against the wide or long end of the lens more (or do you wish it were wider or longer when taking your shots)? Or is there a genre of photography that you are looking to explore next? Wildlife/nature probably demands a longer lens. Street (and maybe landscape) may be better served with a wider lens. You are perceptive in thinking that wides are of "greater benefit"... if nothing else, you can crop a wide to get the same photo as a longer lens, but not vice-versa.

BTW, I just ordered a 14mm for my 5D (my 17-40 does not feel wide enough at times) and will likely order a 70-300L and sell my rarely used 100-400L (or just sell the lens and keep my 70-200 f/4L IS).
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    I think a wide-angle would be of the most use to you. I've used my 20mm f/2.8 USM on a 5DII, and it's pretty good. It has lots of vignetting on full frame, but that can be quickly (and easily) corrected in post. It is very wide, though. Another option is the 28mm f/1.8 USM. It's not as wide, but it has the fast f/1.8 aperture. If you like playing with DOF and wide-open stuff on your 50mm f/1.4... trust me, you'll love playing with wide-angle shallow-DOF shots. I certainly do with my 20 2.8.

If you're not into the wide aperture thing, the 17-40 f/4L is an excellent option. It gives you the flexibility of zoom, getting you almost to the focal length of your 50mm without changing lenses.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    Thanks Ziggy for drawing my attention to the 500d lens. I did not know such a thing existed. It looks like a lot of fun for very little money. I often use my 50mm 1.4 as a walk around lens and this adds a lot of flexibility with no weight. I'll be adding it to my travel bag next time I pass by my local camera store.

@op. it seems like you want to go longer not shorter. My third lens was a telephoto 70-300 IS USM. Not the L version. It works really well on my 40d. Not sure whether it does justice to a 5d but there is plenty of choice depending on your budget. If I had a 5d and a penchant for family photos my Christmas treat would be a 135 L portrait lens.
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    Skimming through here, I'd concur with the 70-200 f2.8: it's my there-mostova-time lens. I've been eying the tamron 29-75 f2.8 for a while, and it seems like that might work well for the family (in-close) stuff.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net