Options

Night in San Francisco

RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
edited December 26, 2011 in Street and Documentary
Here's one from long ago -- about 1968 -- that I've been meaning to post. Check the real VW Bug on the street to the right. This isn't Silver Efex's idea of Tri-X; it's the real thing -- pushed.

SF%20Street.jpg

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2011
    she doesn't look like a flower child... :D

Besides the Bug, notice the number the number of men wearing sports jackets (not so today)

That TriX was grainy wasn't it?
    Rags
  • Options
    frewhlfrewhl Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2011
    Is that a patty wagon behind the bug?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 26, 2011
    50 cent parking? Cool. :D
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    Oh, she was a flower child all right, Rags. In 1968 SF was full of flower children. Yes, Tri-X was really grainy when you pushed it as hard as I pushed that roll.

You got me to look at that wagon more closely, Frewhl, and, yes, it sure looks like a paddy wagon. The word is "paddy," by the way. According to the Urban Dictionary the name came from the "PD" on the sides of the New York horse-drawn police wagons used to haul rioters to the police station during the 1863 riots. But there's also a connection with the Irish since they were the ones drunk, rioting, and being hauled in.

Actually, in the mid 1960's 50 cent parking wasn't all that cheap, Richard. I can remember sitting in the Top of the Mark drinking Manhattans and thinking they were pretty steep at 50 cents.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    Love beads around her neck (and she has a great imploring expression), parking .50 (when a penney got you six minutes on a meter), the real "love bug" (for about $2,000), a paddy wagon, and a preponderance of single males (dressed up, no less) cruising Broadway night clubs. And Finochio's awning in the background to top it off (for those whose taste ran to cross-dressing males on stage).

And pushed Tri-X (1600?). Well done!