Options

Slideshow Software

fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited December 29, 2011 in Finishing School
Hi everyone. I did a search on this but everything that came up was a bit dated, so I thought I would start a new thread.

I have done some research looking for a good standalone slideshow program. I ended up downloading Photostage based on a published review of 10 such programs. I think it must have been a bit biased because I think for it to have taken the Gold award, it should have been much better. I put together a simple slideshow with one effect and one transition for each of the 8 images, and it still has problems.

In any case, I was looking to see what everyone is using. I have LR3, but don't want to use it with the digital rights and portability issues. So I am looking to be able to produce standalone slide slows with variable output formats in HD, WMF, AVI, Youtube (flv) etc. I need to be able to have flexibility with audio also. Need to be able to lay multiple tracks and break up audio files as needed.

I already spent the money on Photostage (not recommended) and I am working to get a refund. I don't mind spending the money if the value is there.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    If you are on a PC, then go with ProShow Gold from Photodex. It creates self-executing slide shows that can be run on any PC. If on a Mac, go with FotoMagico from Boinx. Both programs can save to a variety of outputs. To run my shows cross-platform (I use FotoMagico) I export as a QuickTime movie.
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
  • Options
    Merlin_AZMerlin_AZ Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    I use ProShow Gold. It has a bit of a learning curve, but it's very nice.
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    Merlin_AZ wrote: »
    I use ProShow Gold. It has a bit of a learning curve, but it's very nice.

Yea, you are not kidding. I down loaded the trial. Working through that learning curve at the moment...
  • Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    I have ProShow producer and I LOVE it. The learning curve is next to nothing for what functionality you have.
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    Since you have LR already, you can use the embedded option to produce a slideshow.
    I do a good number of talks and my workflow is to collect all the pictures I want to use into a collection (not a smart collection), select the sort option to user sort, then sort them with drag and drop and then export them as a jpegs at desired size with a name and sequence number.

Then I use Irfanview (free) on a thumbdrive with the images to do the show. The only downside is the limited transition methods with Irfanview.
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • Options
    xposureproxposurepro Banned Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2011
    I use to use ProShow Producer but now I export directly from Aperture 3 into an Animoto Pro account. Saves me more time which increases my profits, while still offering a quality product. The Animoto account is $250 a year but considering I sell slideshows for $175 per client and we sold 100+ slideshows last year it's an amazing investment.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    ProShow Gold, period. Once you've got it down, it's REALLY powerful. I've even used it to make non-slideshow stuff, like simple animated graphics.
  • Options
    rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    ProShow Gold, period. Once you've got it down, it's REALLY powerful. I've even used it to make non-slideshow stuff, like simple animated graphics.

Go with ProShow Gold or Producer. I've used both and am currently using Producer. It doesen't take long at all to learn.
    Rich