Options

Photographers giving back. Charity Idea

xernexxernex Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 30, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
As I was watching "Chopped All-Stars" last night on Food Network, I noticed the contestants were playing for their favorite Charity. A noble cause, I think we can all agree. It reminded me of Penny-Arcade's Child's Play Charity, and how much I liked that cause. Then I thought, wouldn't it be great to have an outlet for us photogs to give back.

It got me thinking about an account created just for charity purposes, used by a large group of us. Maybe each photographer picks his favorite charity, and its listed as a category. Then sub-cat of a photog, and further sub-cats for the photos. We could have multiple Charities represented and make our donations as we went depending on where images were sold from.

Just a small idea, but I think with some work we could create something great to give back to the community, while at the same time getting our photography seen. I'm a hobbyist so I'm not in for profit.... I'd be more than thrilled though if my stuff was hanging in more homes, knowing all the while the profits did some good.

Comments

• Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2011
    A noble idea but for -ME-, over complicated>

I have a charity I shoot for when they need something and I do it on a " they ring, I bring" basis which works well so far.
    I shoot what they need and drop it onto the publicists computer and she does the rest. i got a copy of their latest journal yesterday and was pleased to see they had made use of pics I did for them some months ago in preparation for the feature they were running.

It never ceases to amaze me how these people carry on like I donated all my organs rather than just the odd day or half day of my time and skill. What is not a big deal for me IS for them that's for sure. I also like keeping an eye on things and when I see something that can be improved, i write a list and the next time they call I say, get this that and the other ready because while i'm over there I'm going to shoot this properly for you. It's very rewarding when you hear back sometime later how the photos have resulted infinancial benifits for them through the better presentation they have created.

Anyway, good luck with your initiative. I recommend all Shooters find a pet project like this and donate some of their time and skills. It never ceases to amaze me the absolute chit gubbermints will waste money on while leaving the most deserving of charities and the people they serve to fend for themselves.

I don't do much but if everyone did as little as I do, then these deserving people would be a hell of a lot better off that's for sure!
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2011
    Glort,

Sounds like what you do is pretty great.

I'd still love to get some more folks on board with a community of all for charity sales. I think if we could build a community around it that we'd be able to make some fairly sizable donations. It is a bit complicated though, but I figured if I could find people with the ability to put something like that together it'd be here. Personally I lack the skill or time to really build the site, and manage all the payouts etc, but if we could figure a way a great site built and somehow to make sure the money goes directly to the charities involved it'd be a project worth pursuing.

So.... Anybody... Anybody out there with some talent and drive wanna help...and by help I mean basically do all the work I'm completely unqualified to do headscratch.gif
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited December 30, 2011
    xernex wrote: »
    Anybody out there with some talent and drive wanna help...and by help I mean basically do all the work I'm completely unqualified to do
    Take a look at http://eat-art.org/about/our_story - I think that may be similar to what you are proposing.
    Keep in mind that setting up something like this (and keeping it going) is not a small effort.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2011
    Denise,

Thank you! That is very similar to what I was thinking. I had thought of using multiple charities, but using just one may be much easier to work with. I may have to look into joining them!

Thanks again for the info!