Options

Crawley Boat Shed

SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
edited January 1, 2012 in Landscapes
A few different treatments of an iconic Perth image. The main challenge for me was to come up with a treatment that was different from the gazillion other shots of this place. I think #1 is my favourite. Thanks for looking.

i-9ftDCDR-XL.jpg

i-xB8Nd7w-XL.jpg

i-n7ZpkPV-XL.jpg

i-zJps6V8-XL.jpg
John

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 31, 2011
    Very cool treatment of a very cool subject. For me it's a toss up between 1 and 2. Maybe 2, because it shows how far out there that little boat house really is.
  • Options
    rbtrbt Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    I like #1 but the clouds in the left center of the image look a little overcooked.
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    Nice images. I think I would put them in the order 2, 1, 3, 4. I prefer the uncentered framing of 1 & 2 to the centered framing of 3 & 4. 2 has the advantage of #1 that it gives more sense of depth, but it has distortion, making the boathouse cock-eyed. You could probably fix that in post. I agree with rbt that the clouds in #1 look overcooked.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    No contest #1 is the print.

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll have another look at the clouds in #1 and see how they look with the HDR processing painted out a little.
    John
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2012
    I'd really appreciate people's thoughts on these - colour v B&W especially, but anything other comments are just fine.

#1a
    i-BS87c4f-XL.jpg

#1b
    i-F6wR9fq-XL.jpg

#2a
    i-JbJFzRT-XL.jpg

#2b
    i-44n4qpB-XL.jpg
    John
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    I like # 3 the B/W in the first set it has a much stronger composition than the rest in the set.
    I like the placement of the image in the center it works much better than the off centerd shots and the horizon giving it the depth is much better than the others. thumb.gif
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    I like 2 and 3 in the first set. 3 really shows off the sky that dominates the picture and lots of drama! 2A in the second set gives the opposite effect of serenity - I think anyway.... and would look wonderful on a wall in a beach house! mwink.gif All are very beautiful!
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2012
    Thanks lensmole and Eia. :)
    John
  • Options
    JRomieJRomie Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Nice composition all of them. In the first set, I like #2 and #3. #1 appears overprocessed, and I don't care for the focus treatment in #4. In the second set, I'd like to see some cross between #1b (which has nice contrast in the foreground, but I don't care for the sky treatment) and #2b (which has an improved sky, but a foreground that needs a bit more contrast IMO). I think I prefer the scale (more sky) in #2b as well. As a general opinion, I think I like this scene in B&W best. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2012
    Thanks John - I appreciate you taking the time to make some helpful comments.
    John