The Digital Download Thread (Tips, Questions)

Comments

• SCC PhotographySCC Photography Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    funcrunch wrote: »
    I take photos at events, typically concerts, and usually have 25 or more photos per event. I would really like my customers to be able to download all the images they've chosen to purchase from the gallery at once, as a Zip file, rather than having to click on each link after paying for the digital downloads. Right now I'm finding myself burning the images to a CD or DVD and getting them to the client that way, which negates the whole purpose of using SmugMug to handle payment processing.

Is this feature something being added as part of the packages? If so feel free to move to that thread, thanks.

I too would like to know an answer to this. In fact, it would be great if there was a way to have those images they download also be watermarked.
  • InspiritorInspiritor Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Possible Conflict in IPTC: Missing Or Not?
    [QUOTE=
    Info: Metadata (© info, IPTC Caption, Description, etc) will reamin intact on your files.

IPTC Data update... here are the fields that, if filled in by YOU, will remain intact in your files:
    Description Data: Document title, author, author title, description, description writer, keywords, copyright notice.
    (Missing: copyright info URL, copyright status)

IPTC Contact: Creator, Creator's Job Title
    (missing: Address, City, State, Postal Code, Country, Phones, Emails, Website)

IPTC Content: Headline, Description, Keywords, Description Writer
    (missing: IPTC Subject Code)

IPTC Image: Date Created, City, State, Country
    (missing: Intellectual Genres, IPTC Scene, Location, ISO Country Code)

IPTC Status: Title, Job Identifier, Instructions, Provider, Source, Copyright Notice
    (missing: Rights Usage Terms)[/QUOTE]

In the above, the first 'Missing:' section lists "... copyright status" .

Under "IPTC Status" it lists "Copyright Notice" as remaining intact.

Are they different fields, or one-and-the-same? Can you please clarify?

Thanks.
  • ergonzalezergonzalez Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Once a customer purchase a digital download, I assume they receive an email with instruction on how to download the file. Is there a way we can see the infromation they get once they purchase a digital download? If they purchase several of them do they get a zip file by email, or do they get a link where to download the file(s)?

www.mcallenphoto.com
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    The customer can download the photos right away from their order page. In addition we send all the details in their order confirmation email so they can go back to the order page at any time to download the photos.
    Individual photos if available can be downloaded via a download button next to each item. Or they can request a zip download of all photos if they ordered more than one. The zip link would be emailed to your customer once available.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ergonzalezergonzalez Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    The customer can download the photos right away from their order page. In addition we send all the details in their order confirmation email so they can go back to the order page at any time to download the photos.
    Individual photos if available can be downloaded via a download button next to each item. Or they can request a zip download of all photos if they ordered more than one. The zip link would be emailed to your customer once available.

Thank you for the response. Is there a way to see a sample of the email(s) that customers get, or would I have to purchase a digital download from my own site to go through the entire process from the customer's experience?

www.mcallenphoto.com
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    You can just set up a download price of $0.01 for testing purposes and place an order for a download as a logged out visitor to see what the whole process looks like.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ajsajs Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2011
    Great Stuff!
    I'm new to SmugMug. This Digital Download Thread and the customization tips have are amazing. My smugmug is looking better than ever. Just in the nick of time - as I landed four jobs the other day. Thank you all for giving such good advice, tips and easy to follow instruction. I am in awe of the amazing photography talent represent in this thread and on the Digital Grin site:ivar
  • 56Kruiser56Kruiser Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    How make digital downloads available, and free...
    I must be confused. Here is what I have done: I have only done pricing on portfolio, and at this time I have not put any prices on digital. I put 0.00 on all.

To test out making digital available for free download, I went to a gallery, and told the syste to clear prices on web downloads. It showed a blank prices, and a profit of 0. I expected this to make a download button appear on the photos, and for only the smalles photo to be available to download.

When I went to the gallery, there was no download button; in pricing, Digital wasn't even there to select from. Then when I went back into the galleryl pricing, the ones I had set to blank did not show a 0 profit, as if I had not done anything.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or give me an idea how to do this?
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    56Kruiser wrote: »
    I must be confused. Here is what I have done: I have only done pricing on portfolio, and at this time I have not put any prices on digital. I put 0.00 on all.

To test out making digital available for free download, I went to a gallery, and told the syste to clear prices on web downloads. It showed a blank prices, and a profit of 0. I expected this to make a download button appear on the photos, and for only the smalles photo to be available to download.

When I went to the gallery, there was no download button; in pricing, Digital wasn't even there to select from. Then when I went back into the galleryl pricing, the ones I had set to blank did not show a 0 profit, as if I had not done anything.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or give me an idea how to do this?
    There is no default price for digital downloads (unlike prints). You have to assign a price for it to be offered for sale.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited November 11, 2011
    Hmmm...OK. So there is no way to provide free downloads to your friends and family?

I suppose I can not right click protect, but still don't get a download button. Some folks may not think of right clidk.
    edited November 11, 2011
    56Kruiser wrote: »
    Hmmm...OK. So there is no way to provide free downloads to your friends and family?

I suppose I can not right click protect, but still don't get a download button. Some folks may not think of right clidk.
    Digital downloads do not support free downloads.

If originals are enabled and right-click protection is off in any particular gallery and you have installed the customization for the download button, you will get a download button in that gallery that allows your viewers to download originals. The only way to download pre-made sizes smaller than the original is to instruct your viewers to do their own right-click save.

If that download button customization isn't working for you and you've done all three things above, then post a link to that specific gallery and we can look at why the download button isn't displaying in that gallery.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 11, 2011
    Thanks. I appreciate the detailed explanation. I do have the download customization installed...just didn't realize it only worked on originals.

I'll plan my strategy along the lines of those capabilities.
  • Michael J. O'ConnellMichael J. O'Connell Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    Provide free digital downloads
    I want to be able to allow free downloads for a gallery of images. How can I do this? I tried keeping the price blank but when I attempt to 'Buy' the images for download the Download option does not appear. I am trying from another computer and not logged into my SmugMug account.

Thanks for your help.

Michael
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    I want to be able to allow free downloads for a gallery of images. How can I do this? I tried keeping the price blank but when I attempt to 'Buy' the images for download the Download option does not appear. I am trying from another computer and not logged into my SmugMug account.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Free means they don't have to buy. So set the gallery to Originals available, and protection off, and let them hover over the main photo and download at will...
  • optikoptik Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 12, 2011
    Hi.

I was just wondering if there was any chance of an editorial license for the digital download section?

Thanks

simon.
  • ATapleyATapley Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    Download Option
    I was wondering if the DOWNLOAD feature could be set for certain galleries to allow clients to download their photo at zero cost to them. Sometimes I do event photography for fashion shows and fundraisers. I would like for people that participate to be able to access the gallery, choose their photos and then download them directly but at no cost. Is there a way to do this?

I thought maybe leaving the amount at zero it would allow this but it doesn't because a yellow triangle appears in the pricing area with a message that the image can not be downloaded.

Any help would be appreciated! thumb.gif

Amanda
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    ATapley wrote: »
    I was wondering if the DOWNLOAD feature could be set for certain galleries to allow clients to download their photo at zero cost to them. Sometimes I do event photography for fashion shows and fundraisers. I would like for people that participate to be able to access the gallery, choose their photos and then download them directly but at no cost. Is there a way to do this?

I thought maybe leaving the amount at zero it would allow this but it doesn't because a yellow triangle appears in the pricing area with a message that the image can not be downloaded.

Any help would be appreciated! thumb.gif

Amanda

As long as your images aren't protected, people should be able to download by following Andy's instructions above. Go to your gallery settings, look under "Security and Privacy" and click "no" next to "protected."
    edited December 12, 2011
    How I missed Andy's instructions above I don't know ... eyes must be tired after browsing so many messages looking for answers.

Thank you for replying though. That is what I'm already doing, just thought maybe I could make use of the Download Tab feature and it look more professional instead of having the right click to download their images.

Thanks again,
    Amnda

PS please tell me Andy's not winking at me in his profile pic and it's just my eyes playing tricks on me? Laughing.gif
    edited December 12, 2011
    How I missed Andy's instructions above I don't know ... eyes must be tired after browsing so many messages looking for answers.

Thank you for replying though. That is what I'm already doing, just thought maybe I could make use of the Download Tab feature and it look more professional instead of having the right click to download their images.

Thanks again,
    Amnda

PS please tell me Andy's not winking at me in his profile pic and it's just my eyes playing tricks on me? Laughing.gif
    If you want a "Download Image" button to make it easier on the desired galleries, then see customization #9 here to add it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited December 12, 2011
    Thanks John! I'll give that one a try!

I couldn't locate where to "set the gallery to Originals available, and protection off" in the gallery settings.

Amanda
    edited December 12, 2011
    Thanks John! I'll give that one a try!

I couldn't locate where to "set the gallery to Originals available, and protection off" in the gallery settings.

Amanda
    In the Security & Privacy section of Gallery Settings for the desired gallery, set "Protected" to "No" and "Largest Size" to "Original".
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited December 13, 2011
    That I already had done, thanks.

I will try the "Download Image" button you mentioned to make it easier on the desired galleries, following see customization #9 to add it"

Thanks!
    Amanda
  • dkinderdkinder Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2011
    Did anyone else notice that smugmug now charges you a base cost for digital downloads? With the migration to price lists, you're now charged 49 cents per image for digital downloads by your customers (well more than the 21 cents base cost for 4x6 prints).
    -- David Kinder, kinderpics photography
  • adamjasonphotoadamjasonphoto Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2011
    Starting some event photography and I am looking for a way to provide, as a courtesy, free web-sized (low-res 0.3 Mpix) bulk download at the gallery level to the event coordinator - so they can put images on their blog or webpage (figure it will help advertise to the parents that images exist and are for sale). The only thing I've come up with is to create a collection of images in a separate gallery, set it to private with a password, and set it to $1.00. I trust this user, but continuing to use this method, i can see the hole is that others could grab the images for $1 if they found out the link/password. Any ideas? The only thing I could come up with is waiting for product-level coupons to be released and issue a single-use coupon (for at cost, or price of the download) - that way I can at least ensure only ONE transaction.
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 25, 2011
    Adam,

You can do this as the site owner using the download all option. Go to the gallery and use Tools>This Gallery>Download All. An email will be sent to you with a link to download a Zip file that contains all of the photos. That way you can control who has access to the photos for download.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93331-backups---download-all-photos-in-a-gallery
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    dkinder wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that smugmug now charges you a base cost for digital downloads? With the migration to price lists, you're now charged 49 cents per image for digital downloads by your customers (well more than the 21 cents base cost for 4x6 prints).

I understand the need for a base price but this is way too high. That's especially true since (as far as I can tell) we still can't do proof-delay on digital downloads. :cry
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    I was going to use digital downloads for a client even though I typically don't allow it. But now with this minimum pricing, I'm just going to have them send me a list of files. For a couple of hundred images, this gets really costly quick.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited January 3, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    I was going to use digital downloads for a client even though I typically don't allow it. But now with this minimum pricing, I'm just going to have them send me a list of files. For a couple of hundred images, this gets really costly quick.

You can sell a whole gallery of digital downloads for a set price, too.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    You can sell a whole gallery of digital downloads for a set price, too.
    Good to know. thumb.gif

For my particular situation, my client will be selecting a handful of images out of galleries that have a couple of hundred images in them. Because of the limited ability to enforce copyrights once someone has a digital copy, I'd rather them not get every image, just the ones they want. I know I could move their selections to another gallery and all that, but it's going to be just as easy for me to download them or grab them off the archive drives.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited January 3, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    Good to know. thumb.gif

For my particular situation, my client will be selecting a handful of images out of galleries that have a couple of hundred images in them. Because of the limited ability to enforce copyrights once someone has a digital copy, I'd rather them not get every image, just the ones they want. I know I could move their selections to another gallery and all that, but it's going to be just as easy for me to download them or grab them off the archive drives.
    Make an event. Let them heart their faves. The price a download gallery in the hearted (client fave) gallery.