Options

A portrait in six frames

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited January 3, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Something different for me. Purely candid, unplanned and unposed.
DS22383-L.jpg

DS22385-XL.jpg

DS22384-XL.jpg

DS22388-XL.jpg

DS22389-L.jpg

DS22391-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    An interesting series, yes. And I'll say it again - many people don't like/appreciate the soft or out of focus look. I've made mention of it on many of Ben's postings as there's a certain style to it he seems to be developing. This falls into that bucket or style. It's not crazy OOF, rather subtle IMO to give a certain softness or mood to the shots. All this is fancy for yeah, I like 'em and what you've done.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    I prefer the furrows, but the subject probably likes wrinkles softened

+++ for candids
    Rags
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    series is key
    There is a difference between one OOF shot, and a series with different areas OOF. Ben's sushi shot on another thread doesn't do much for me because it is one shot OOF. This series is a number of shots with a different element OOF in each frame--that is the key. You need to see all these photos at once to get a true picture of the subject. The same series with a larger aperture and totally in focus would be boring, maybe.

Love the series and the treatment, and the vision. Good job thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Thanks for the kind comments folks. The OOF and DOF were intentional but I wasn't sure how it was going to work out in the end. They were taken in a live venue. I was "with the band" shooting for liner notes for their new CD, thus had leave to shoot into the scene.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Jennifer, I've been struggling with this one for days. It's an interesting offshoot for you. My problem is that I don't quite see how the shots fit together. I guess what's missing for me is a sense of place. It's an interesting face, but what's behind the facial contortions? Maybe, as BD once suggested, I'm looking too much for the pictures to explain themselves, but whatever the reason I can't quite end up with a gestalt -- a sense of wholeness. BD's "wtf" is a good thing in a street shot, but I question whether it improves a portrait -- as a single shot or as a series.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Lose #2 and I'm good with it.

Odd portraits, I like it.

I can see where these would work in a story of ........ ?

In fact I think the last one could stand alone.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Jennifer, I've been struggling with this one for days. It's an interesting offshoot for you. My problem is that I don't quite see how the shots fit together. I guess what's missing for me is a sense of place. It's an interesting face, but what's behind the facial contortions? Maybe, as BD once suggested, I'm looking too much for the pictures to explain themselves, but whatever the reason I can't quite end up with a gestalt -- a sense of wholeness. BD's "wtf" is a good thing in a street shot, but I question whether it improves a portrait -- as a single shot or as a series.

I'm with Russ on this one. Main issue is that I have no better sense of who she is or might be from looking at the series.