Options

Child Occupier

macgartmacgart Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited January 4, 2012 in People
Hello all. This is my first post here at dgrin. I've been a lurker for a bit now and, quite frankly, given the level of work displayed here have been a bit intimidated to post anything.

I was in Denver in mid-December and stumbled into a small Occupy Denver gathering. I decided to spend a bit of time in the crowd. While there I noticed this young girl sitting on a bench with her guitar eating a cookie. Something about her caught my eye so I took a couple of shots of her. I liked how this one came out. I am pretty new to digital photography so I still have tons to learn.

Any comments are welcome. I did the b&w conversion in LR3 and did some basic adjustments with the brush.

6527221229_8453cba98b_z.jpg

Exif:
<table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="lookatme"><th>Camera</th><td>Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS</td></tr><tr class="lookatme"><th>Exposure</th><td>0.006 sec (1/160)</td></tr><tr class="lookatme"><th>Aperture</th><td>f/8.0</td></tr><tr class="lookatme"><th>Focal Length</th><td>116 mm</td></tr><tr><th>ISO Speed</th><td>100</td></tr><tr><th>Exposure Bias</th><td>0 EV</td></tr></tbody></table>

Comments

• Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    macgart wrote: »
    Hello all. This is my first post here at dgrin. I've been a lurker for a bit now and, quite frankly, given the level of work displayed here have been a bit intimidated to post anything.

I was in Denver in mid-December and stumbled into a small Occupy Denver gathering. I decided to spend a bit of time in the crowd. While there I noticed this young girl sitting on a bench with her guitar eating a cookie. Something about her caught my eye so I took a couple of shots of her. I liked how this one came out. I am pretty new to digital photography so I still have tons to learn.

Any comments are welcome. I did the b&w conversion in LR3 and did some basic adjustments with the brush.

<table style="width: 1px; height: 27px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="lookatme"><th>
    </th><td>
    </td></tr><tr class="lookatme"><th>
    </th><td>
    </th><td>
    </th><td>
    </td></tr><tr><th>
    </th><td>
    </td></tr><tr><th>
    </th><td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

Macgart,

This is an excellent shot fundamentally, sharp and well composed. Is there paint on the face, because there seems to be some distortion on the cheeks and the nose?

The only issue I see is that this isn't really an Occupy shot, as much as it is a "girl eats a cookie" shot. There is very little context to put her where you say she is, but you didn't post this in street, and may not have intended it to be that so it's a good, candid portrait of a girl eating a cookie.

It looks like some detail is lost in the darkest part of the image near the top and a few areas around the head blown out a bit, but the image is nice to look at, so that's a bit subjective.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't post in Street since this shot is essentially a portrait. I really appreciate the good constructive feedback. I think she had something on her face but I may have applied too much NR as well.

I took this one mid-afternoon on a snowy day. At least it was overcast so it made the light better to work with. This was my first attempt at photographing people on the street. It was really fun, too bad I live 3 hours away from the city.

I may try to use an adjustment brush to take care of some of the blown highlights. The thing that really got my attention was the look in her eyes while she was sitting there. I hope that comes through to the viewer.

Practice, practice, practice...
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Technically ok , although content wise a bit low. If I didn't read the text I could not figure out what this was about. The framing is kind of strange to me, the hand with the cooky seems to come out of nowhere , like somebody is feeding here.
    LR3 is a great raw tool, I use all the time. I guess you gave missed a few spots with the "soften skin" brush. That could explain the previous comments.

Anyhow it is sharp , that is for sure....

Nice work otherwise.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2012
    D3,

Great point about her hand coming from nowhere. I had not even considered that. Thanks very much for taking the time to look and comment. I have looked at a lot of your posts and your do excellent work. Your comments are well taken.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    macgart wrote: »
    D3,

Great point about her hand coming from nowhere. I had not even considered that. Thanks very much for taking the time to look and comment. I have looked at a lot of your posts and your do excellent work. Your comments are well taken.

No problem, I might be a bit direct sometimes, but that is how `i am ' . It is never intended as a negative comment.

Thanks for looking, I have still a long way to go. But it is through open and honest comments that one can improve. That's why this forum is great.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    No problem, I might be a bit direct sometimes, but that is how `i am ' . It is never intended as a negative comment.

Thanks for looking, I have still a long way to go. But it is through open and honest comments that one can improve. That's why this forum is great.

There simply aren't enough people that think like D3.