Demonix in the Desert

WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited January 5, 2012 in Go Figure
There's this image and 2 more as teasers in my Flickr Stream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/warped-photography/ - the full set will be up on my site when I'm done editing and uploading.

The Story:
Myself and my wife (Sarah) got away with friends and spent a few days up near The Pinnacles for a shoot. As it turns out, as usual it seems for me of late, nothing went quite to plan but it ended up being a lot of fun.

The Original plan - meet, scout location, drinks/nibbles at sunset, share a "cabin" at a close'ish location for the night, back at sunrise for the main shoot.

Wife and I get to the accommodation around 2pm and the cabin is a single room, barely big enough for the small double bed and the bunk beds, a sink and small fridge and that's it. Toilets/showers are across in the caravan park area along with the very old and weather beaten bbqs that we would have been cooking on.
We were told it's the only room/accom to sleep 4 so that's why we booked it and it looked like we'd all be getting to know each other a lot better than we expected.
As it turn out the rest of the place was pretty much empty and we took a look at the one bedroom chalets ..... that had a large couch/fold out double bed in the main living area.
Air con (38 degree C day the first day), 2 x double beds, shower and toilet, kitchen with stove top, fridge and bigger sink ...... a set of sheets/pillows/blankets liberated from the cabin for the fold out couch/bed and we took a chalet instead.

Back to The Pinnacles for a look around at 3pm, it was my first time there after living in WA since 1994, and it's a great location and well worth the look. We drove around, found a couple of good spots, shot some landscape/scenery pics, saw some emus wandering though the rocks .... all pretty cool and good fun.
Into Cervantes for a swim after that, water was perfect.
Back to The Pinnacles for sunset, picnic table set-up, champagne, cheese and bickies, all very civilised and a highly recommended way to spend an afternoon. This is when Sarah says "The outfit is in the car, want to shoot?".
A few minutes later Sarah is in the front of the car trying to strip and then get dressed into the outfit, while I'm in the back of the car rummaging around for the stuff I want as it's all packed in tightly and I wasn't expecting to need most of it until tomorrow morning.
As for the outfit .... it's called The Demonix and is a one-off piece made by a designer/company in the UK called Pretty Pervy. It consists on a bodysuit/leotard in scarlet and red latex with an inflatable devil's tail, the chest section has a cut-out and pasties are needed for modesty (hence just the one "edited" pic posted here). There's a matching hood with 3 long inflatable tentacles. That is teamed with black fishnets and boots and isn't something you see every day and is very striking!
Once the outfit was on and I was ready and we were set to go, the looks on some peoples faces was priceless. Cars driving along the track stopped, reversed, came back for another look - one person even stopped to find their camera and came over snapping their own pics.
The eye holes aren't the easiest to see out of, stiletto heels in sand aren't the easiest either, but my wife managed to make it look relatively easy and with the help I had help with the lighting we made an impromptu, unplanned shoot work relatively well.

Back to the accommodation after that and an excellent meal cooked for us and a few drinks.

4am start, left at 4:30am, planned on getting there just before sunrise at 5:15. Well we got there around 5:15 no worries, but it was 100% overcast with no colour in the sky what so ever, bugger!
The clouds were "lumpy" enough that it wasn't a totally flat grey sky though and looked reasonably dramatic and made for something different at The Pinnacles (rather than the typical clear blue sky you see in all the touristy photos), so we went with what we had.
My portable strobes failed, so the plan to use them and the beauty dish was ditched and I had to resort to the flash and Cactus V5s for off camera fill light. The Demb bounce card and diffuser did a surprisingly good job.
We shot some of the Demonix on a plateau with just the clouds as a back drop, changed her into some ballet heels and shot some of her on a bondage chair in a flatter clear area and using the pinnacles in the distance as the backdrop, then some in close amongst some larger pinnacles with the Demonix back in the original boots.

When I finished up my shots, my awesome assistants tried their own thing for a while, then after that we finished with bacon and egg wraps cooked for us with The Pinnacles all to ourselves and left there around 8am.

Great way to spend a couple of days with good friends, good food and a lot of fun
If at first you don't succeed - maybe sky diving isn't for you.
www.warped-photography.com

Comments

• ricstewricstew Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Awsome and totally not expected.......the Pinnacles are a beautiful area but the best I have seen was a couple of emus as well. The outfit is great , lucky there were no punctures but bad luck with your portables. I think you ( and your wife and helpers ) have done a brilliant job under difficult ( altho fun ) circumstances
    cheers
    Jan
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Out of this world ! Very nicely done.... It was just a lot to read.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer