Options

Hip Shot Tool

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited January 5, 2012 in Street and Documentary
I tried shooting from the hip & I'm all over the parking lot. Saw this on BH and I've tried it out - it works. It's an easy low tech way to get a grip on your shooting angle.

i-5mLGDMK-XL.jpg
Rags

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited January 5, 2012
    Hmm...might be worth a try, dunno. I suppose if the scene is relatively static it could help. I'd be concerned though that if you're looking at the camera you would call more attention to it, which kind of defeats the purpose of shooting from the hip.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    I'll be doing high SS and hi burst rate, I just have to get the initial setting to stop shooting the ground or sky
    Rags
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    I like this device, but I know it wouldn't do someone like me any good at all. I've only been doing this for a limited amount of time, and I realize it's critical for me to get used to approaching strangers with a camera to my face. I think that's important. I'll put this one on the wishlist, but wait a few years.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    I like this device, but I know it wouldn't do someone like me any good at all. I've only been doing this for a limited amount of time, and I realize it's critical for me to get used to approaching strangers with a camera to my face. I think that's important. I'll put this one on the wishlist, but wait a few years.

Hard to get candids that way
    Rags
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Variations of this available on Ebay for less than $4, including shipping (I searched "camera bubble level")...
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    Hard to get candids that way

I think you just have to wait for the right moment, raise your camera, and take the picture. I was being a bit hyperbolic with the "approaching with the camera on my face" comment. As I've tried more and more to overcome the apprehension I feel taking pictures of strangers, I've found out that most people don't even notice unless you're there for an obnoxious amount of time.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    I spent a lot of time learning to aim the camera by feel--usually at him level, though sometimes holding it in front of me and pretending to be playing with the settings. It seems to work most of the time. That said, I also like to snap a shot with the camera to my eye just as they see me, but before they can mount a posed expression. In any case, getting good candids just takes a lot of practice and some chutzpah!