Options

Sports Bar

RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
edited January 6, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Handheld at 1/8 second. Pretty good image stabilization in the camera. A ghost in the middle of the room.

Sports%20Bar.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Lot of interesting layers of repetition (incl towels, boxes, chairs, screens, pennants...) but it is missing a main subject or point of focus to pull it together for me (the ghost does not quite do it).
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Yes an interesting back ground but that is about it.
    You really need to learn how to cull your stuff Russ. rolleyes1.gif BTW.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    Oh no. You guys haven't been reading the threads. You're absolutely right, but we've stopped worrying about that kind of thing. Besides, the empty space is the point of the picture.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Handheld at 1/8 second. Pretty good image stabilization in the camera

Oh you wanna talk about gear, Errr.................

That would be over in "Flea Market"

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    My thought is had you waited another three seconds to let the person in white (ghost) move out of the frame the image would be considerably stronger. As previously mentioned there's nice lines and repetition involved. Having just a single individual (left corner), for me at least, would have solidified a couple thought approaches to include a lonely person or a person being bombarded by entirely too many inputs.

• Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    You're right, Scott. I saw it too at the time, but there were people off to the left moving toward the frame, so I shot. It was a joke more than anything else, but I kind of liked the mid tones once I looked at it. At the risk of giving BD a stroke I'll say that it's not a good street shot.
  • Options
    IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    That's a steady hand. . .or good IS. . .probably both.

I do like the contrast of stillness and motion it gives. Nice capture.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    You're right, Scott. I saw it too at the time, but there were people off to the left moving toward the frame, so I shot. It was a joke more than anything else, but I kind of liked the mid tones once I looked at it. At the risk of giving BD a stroke I'll say that it's not a good street shot.

At the risk of returning the stroke, I'd say it's not a good anything - other than proof that you and your image stabilizer can produce a sharp image at an 1/8th of a second. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    So here's a reasonable question - context.

If the title were say, "Christmas Eve" instead of "Sports Bar", (and the ghost wasn't present) would it make a difference? Or is it still just a bar shot?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    M38A1 wrote: »
    So here's a reasonable question - context.

If the title were say, "Christmas Eve" instead of "Sports Bar", (and the ghost wasn't present) would it make a difference? Or is it still just a bar shot?

The title is irrelevant. Without the ghost it would be an interesting image, no matter what the title. It would convey isolation, loneliness, quiet, whether in a sports bar or the Library of Congress. But with the ghost, it's just a "Delete."
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    I'd certainly agree with that, BD. But practically everybody just finished pointing out that on Street & PJ anything goes. This is "anything," so it must go. But besides a demo of image stabilization it's a demo of what midtones should be like in a B&W unless you're doing Liz's high contrast thing.

It's still just a bar shot, Scott.

Amazing! This turkey has had more responses than anything worthwhile I've posted.