Options

Oddball question (re paint)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 13, 2012 in People
So, we need to repaint our living room - it's been 7 years since we moved here, and it's pretty yukky. The seller painted it a pale offwhite with a yellow/green undertone which is ok so we've just lived with it, but we never really liked it that much. The time has now come to pick our own, but it's proving way more challenging than it should be!

I use the room when I shoot headshots, so - even though I'd prefer to go dark (the floor is dark wood) - it needs to stay neutral. I'm ok with that, although I'd like something that is a little more like "beige" than "dirty white".

In addition to the usual differences between natural daylight and incandescent:

Problem #1: marked change in light temp from morning (full sun) afternoon (deep shade from house next door)

Problem #2: marked variance in light temps between summer/winter, due to light filtering through row of large and leafy trees just outside windows.

Problem #3: very small room, meaning colour is reflected in all those mixed temps, and walls all look different.

So, I guess my question is: if I do have to go for a slight colour-cast/undertone, which will cause less issues with portraits?

Even better: has anybody found a really fabulous, neutral-cast shade of creamy beige they love, love, love that I should be looking at????

I thought that Benjamin Moore's "Jute" was going to be The One, but it has a marked green cast in our light that I think will cause problems for portraits. Similarly, Valspar's "Cream in my Coffee" - which looks a beautiful creamy beige on the chip - turned noticeably pink on the walls (it looked like foundation makeup - definitely can't live with looking at that when my room is being my living room!).

All thoughts warmly welcomed - thanks!

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    It may not answer your questions, but here are my musings on the subject...
    • When I shoot indoors I do NOT use the ambient light (unless I'm experimenting). So I don't care if it's day or night, noon or sunset, summer or winter, clear skies or heavy overcast.
    • Even if I leave the room's incandescent on (mostly for focusing purposes), it's typically 6+ stops weaker than any of my studio strobes, so I don't care about the color temp shift in this case either
    • In any case, pure neutral (the darker - the better) is very easy to turn into ANY color by using gels on your bg/light (or in post, if you pardon me for saying so mwink.gif). Any preexisting color would make those actions more difficult.
    • If you paint the room with primarily purpose of using it as a studio, stop fooling yourself and paint it as a studio. One wall pure black, one wall neutral gray, one wall pure white. Alternatively you can replace neutral gray with "digital green", but only if you can make sure that you can avoid the light spill on it when it's not in use.
      The one with the windows - there you can have fun and do some murals mwink.gif
    But that's just me...rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    lilirishangellilirishangel Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Diva

I know what your talking about but we just built our house a 2 yrs ago and every wall in my house is portrait friendly, from blue to yellow to my Favorite which all of my bedrooms are is this color but it is Ralph Lauren color ul-209 Khaki, had it mixed at sherman williams with the eco paint in matte and it is awesome... I have used flash and Lights with umbrellas and get awesome awesome results
    http://www.pbase.com/lil_irish_angel01/image/133061963
    http://www.pbase.com/lil_irish_angel01/image/140778758
    http://www.pbase.com/lil_irish_angel01/image/140778906

As you can see it takes on different color depending on the light.. In day light it looks different it looks light but its darker warmer color in a way.. but works really well

my other color that takes on awesome colors and work just as well is a little darker than Khaki but love it NA-203 county cork form Ralph Lauren colors

looks as though hOme depot doesn't carry then anymore but my whole house has RL(ralph) colors thru out and look smashing.. Hope it helps

Just wish I had better pictures for you
    "MOTIVATION WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BEAT MERE TALENT." Anonymous

www.snaploonphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    Thanks both! Nik, sadly I don't have the luxury of any area in my home available to use exclusively as a studio - everything has to do double duty in our very small home, and this is definitely first a living room, and second where I do my headshots. I LONG to build a garage-studio someday - we have the land, but not enough money!! Someday....

Those look great LilIrish! And they're not available anymore ~sigh~ Several of the HD lines have been axed recently - there was one line of low-VOC paints I found a couple of years ago that I really liked, but they don't do them any more either :( I don't actually need to use the walls as backgrounds (although if they turn out well, I might consider it), but am just trying to avoid tons of work in post with funky colours. I already often combine windows + fill so have to deal with mixed light anyway, and a paint-cast in addition to that would be a real drag.

Was back to Benjamin Moore this afternoon - two more to consider.... rolleyes1.gif

Any other suggestions welcomed!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ricstewricstew Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    yes yes yes its a colour called dutch cream.......at least it is in Australia.......love it and have used it a lot! Quite creamy, very little yellow but no pinks either......not wishy washy dirty white either :)

http://www.color-swatches.com/wattyl/dutch-cream/ie26/swatch.html
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    And why not a light gray ? Works good for me. Typically earth colors work as well such as clay.
    In each case , whatever the color is go for ultra-extra matt paint (matt=not glossy).
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Thanks both! Nik, sadly I don't have the luxury of any area in my home available to use exclusively as a studio - everything has to do double duty in our very small home, and this is definitely first a living room, and second where I do my headshots. I LONG to build a garage-studio someday - we have the land, but not enough money!! Someday....

Those look great LilIrish! And they're not available anymore ~sigh~ Several of the HD lines have been axed recently - there was one line of low-VOC paints I found a couple of years ago that I really liked, but they don't do them any more either :( I don't actually need to use the walls as backgrounds (although if they turn out well, I might consider it), but am just trying to avoid tons of work in post with funky colours. I already often combine windows + fill so have to deal with mixed light anyway, and a paint-cast in addition to that would be a real drag.

Was back to Benjamin Moore this afternoon - two more to consider.... rolleyes1.gif

Any other suggestions welcomed!! thumb.gif

You can still get those two colors, from the lauren site, just wish we lived close to give you a paint chip, do you have sherman williams around you

• Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    Thanks Ric (in US, so unfortunately can't follow through on that) and DS - I like the look of a good grey and have been checking those out, but even the warmer ones tend to look like "dirty white" in our space.

Irish, thank you so much! I do have a SW nearby - do they do RL? I googled RL paint and couldnt' find a local supplier now that HD has axed it....

At the moment, I'm learning towards either BM's Clay Beige (a little darker) or Muslin (possibly too pale) but our BM store is closed on Sundays so I can't go get more samples until tomorrow :-/ - there's no way I'm spending $50 a gallon without getting a LARGE paper chip or sample pot first. Gah, I HATE choosing paint - it's worse than trying to WB a photo that won't play nice!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    Thanks Ric (in US, so unfortunately can't follow through on that) and DS - I like the look of a good grey and have been checking those out, but even the warmer ones tend to look like "dirty white" in our space.

Irish, thank you so much! I do have a SW nearby - do they do RL? I googled RL paint and couldnt' find a local supplier now that HD has axed it....

At the moment, I'm learning towards either BM's Clay Beige (a little darker) or Muslin (possibly too pale) but our BM store is closed on Sundays so I can't go get more samples until tomorrow :-/ - there's no way I'm spending $50 a gallon without getting a LARGE paper chip or sample pot first. Gah, I HATE choosing paint - it's worse than trying to WB a photo that won't play nice!!! rolleyes1.gif

Diva

If they could i would let you walk into SW and Thats make me super mad at HD they carried that line for so long, why do they do that... But highly recommend the SW Duration Home.... http://www.hirshfields.com/paint/index.html carries RL

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    Why don't you choose a paint color based on what you like, then hang a white sheet over the wall(s) when you're shooting if you're concerned about different color temps or color casts striking your talent from different sides?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    That's a good idea John - thanks. Sometimes (often!) I miss the completely obvious and need somebody to beat me over the head with it... rolleyes1.gif

At the moment, I think I'm settling on "Muslin", but we'll see - I've been this route before.... :bash
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    If you want to see drop dead gorgeous paint, look at C2, Farrow & Ball, or Aura, by Benjamin Moore.
    John :
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    We're almost certainly going with Benjamin Moore. Still haven't decided which of the lines - the room's small enough that we'll probably only need 2-3 gallons (max, even with two or more coats) so cost isn't that big a factor on this occasion. The only thing I've heard about Aura which I DON'T like is that it dries so fast it's hard to keep the leading edge wet enough to blend strokes. I may instead try to the BM low-VOC line which gets great reviews... and won't trigger my allergies as badly!
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    The only thing I've heard about Aura which I DON'T like is that it dries so fast it's hard to keep the leading edge wet enough to blend strokes. I may instead try to the BM low-VOC line which gets great reviews... and won't trigger my allergies as badly!

That IS a consideration. With the Aura, you need to have your workspace cleared so you can just keep rolling or brushing. No time out for lunch. But oh my is it nice. I don't think BM makes a bad line though.
    John :
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    How about a faux finish? Ours is basically in the tan family but the painter "ragged" in two other complementary hues. I wanted this to look like a muslin with some variation. It works nicely and blends well if I get enough separation.

Here's a few examples:

233886139_6e9rN-M.jpg

1120932482_TzxRB-M.jpg

62611-2-M.jpg
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Being that I know you have a DivaPuppy running around the house I would recommend a ceramic paint. No really a paint with ceramic beads, low VOC, and cleans up easily. http://www.paintpro.net/Articles/PP604/PP604_CeramicPaints.cfm We did the dog's entry room, the stairs, the bathroom, the living room, and the kitchen in our last house. It was easy clean up and wore very well. It was not cheap but after simply wiping the walls off for each showing I was amazed at how well it worked. GentlyMad says you should get it to keep DivaPuppy out of trouble.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I really like what Mitchell posted!thumb.gif

As you know, we bought a newly built home a bit over a year ago. So far we have elected NOT to repaint. The builder did an excellent job of choosing neutral colors for the home. As soon as I am able I will ask my DW for the paint chip. They are sherwin williams colors and paint. Three different colors.

Along the same lines, I am officially experimenting with interior lighting. I am trying various bulb combinations to be ready for the upcoming incandescent phase out.

So far?

- I can'y stand the screw in flourescents- They have to "warm up" and come to full power aftera long wait, and the color temp...at least the ones Ive tried...is awful orange.

- I'm nearly pleased with a new LED bulb from eco smart ( Home Depot) that offers instant bright white. The color is still a tad off from incandescent, but I could get used to it. A 60 watt that burns at only 13watts. Dimmable. Cost between $20 and $30 each...but last 23 years.

The jury is still out.deal.gif
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I can appreciate your attention to detail...I'd of never given it a thought....
    Thanks for sharing and giving me things to consider :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Thanks all!

Mitchell, I LOVE the faux-paint looks, but I have nothing like the skill or the time to try it out. We're doing this DIY and it's a major pain as it is - I love our little cottage bungalow, but it does make any job which requires moving the furniture a HUGE pain and very labour intensive since you kind of have to keep moving things around instead of just clearing the room and getting on with it (another of the many reasons I WANT A GARAGE!! rolleyes1.gif).

I have actually settled on "Muslin" from Benjamin Moore. Basic and boringly neutral, but probably best given the small size of the room, the highly variable light, and my shooting activities. It should be a little more present than the icky dirty-white the previous owner put up before selling - fingers crossed!

We've been doing the first wave of dry prep and bookcase-emptying (ugh) today, and hopefully will manage to get at least one coat on tomorrow - goal is to finish the job on Saturday unless something goes drastically wrong. I suspect the painting itself will only take a few hours - it's the prep which is seemingly endless!

Btw, on the subject of photographic light.... has anybody ever used those big builder lights with the 500w halogen bulbs? What colour temp are those bulbs (I've googled but not found the info I wanted yet - granted, I was googling on my phone so may have missed something!). Lowes has them for under $20 right now and I'm tempted - might even be a useful boost to daylight placed outside a window.... hmmmmm..... headscratch.gif:D
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Why don't you choose a paint color based on what you like, then hang a white sheet over the wall(s) when you're shooting if you're concerned about different color temps or color casts striking your talent from different sides?
    Rather than white sheet, how about buying some duvetyne (black, fireproof and great light absorbing) or just plain old black muslin and cover your walls with that. Particularly, in a small room, white is going to bounce your lights around everywhere and you'll lose some control over it. The black gives you the control back.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    Thanks Brett! I use the windowlight a lot, but that's a great idea if I ever need complete control in there. thumb.gif

BB, I think I may have followed your advice, although admittedly coincidentally rather than design! We're using BM's Regal line, and I went with their matte finish for the walls because I liked the way it looked.

From the article you linked:
    "Benjamin Moore’s new ceramic coatings already have a strong legion of fans. In fact, the introduction of Regal Matte Finish — the company’s first new interior sheen in more than a decade — is the most successful product launch Benjamin Moore’s ever had, says Jeff Spillane, senior marketing manager."

thumb.gif