Options

TheAtlantic - Pre/Post WWII series

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited January 9, 2012 in Street and Documentary
I've come across an interesting series from TheAtlantic on pre and post WWII images I thought I'd share. Coming from a variety of photographers, there are some very powerful images in the series. I've only made it through a few sections thus far and the work is amazing. Take time to study the images and read the captions too.

On interest is Migrant Woman which has been discussed here recently.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/ww2.html

Comments

• Options
    ChesterJackChesterJack Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    M38A1 wrote: »
    I've come across an interesting series from TheAtlantic on pre and post WWII images I thought I'd share. Coming from a variety of photographers, there are some very powerful images in the series. I've only made it through a few sections thus far and the work is amazing. Take time to study the images and read the captions too.

On interest is Migrant Woman which has been discussed here recently.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/ww2.html

Thank you for the link. Amazing, historic shots.
    "Dont tell me this town ain't got no heart, cause I can hear it beat out loud" Robert Hunter
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Thanks so much!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Pretty cool, thank for sharing! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Thanks, Scott, for the terrific link. As a major WWII buff, I really appreciate this source of info and pictures.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Good catch, Scott. I was a kid during most of this -- I was 15 when Japan surrendered -- and I was delivering afternoon papers from the time I was twelve, less than a year after Pearl Harbor, until after the surrender, so I had to hawk headlines on my route. I didn't understand a lot of it, but I knew what was going on and how it was affecting people around me. A buddy of mine and I used to pop into newsreel theaters from time to time to get the picture. Now that TV is universal, nobody remembers those newsreel theaters, but for a dime or fifteen cents they used to take the place of TV for war films.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    I've now made my way through the color/Pearl Harbor section. Wow.

Looking at these mostly posed images, what were they using for their light sources? Strobes were not around yet so was it flash bulbs? Or did they have lighting specific to that 5500K range? From a technical perspective, I wonder how these were accomplished. I did see they were using Kodachrome.

And the photographer Alfred Palmer... Was he a general war correspondent in addition to what I'll call portrait duties?