Options

Do you put your Studio Name on Each photo?

swiechmswiechm Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 9, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi, I have been putting my Studio name on each print. Small in the corner. I recently had a client tell me that he was disappointed in the way I conduct my business and that he has never had a studio name on photo. Since he paid for the photos to be put on CD there is no way of back-printing, just wondering your thoughts on this and if I am wrong in doing this. Please HELP.. thank you all for your professional and needed thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    If I was a client, I certainly wouldn't want your name on my image. I'm not here to advertise your business. That's your job.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 5, 2012
    If I purchased a photo and it came with a studio name on the photo I would probably return it. If it was an artist signature the photo was printed with the signature on an edge that framed the photo - and I knew the photo was coming with a signature - then I would probably accept it. Note I said a signature, not a studio name.

For images delivered on a CD, make sure you have a copyright in the file. But I don't think it's reasonable to place a studio name on the file in such a way that it prints.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    Thank you
    orljustin wrote: »
    If I was a client, I certainly wouldn't want your name on my image. I'm not here to advertise your business. That's your job.

I looked at several of the professional photos I have had done in the past and not so far distant past. All of them have the Studio name at the bottom in the corner. I am still not sure what I am going to do in this instance. This is the first complaint I have ever gotten and I am not Walmart. I love this forum and would love some feedback from some of the Wedding Photographers out there and ask what they do.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    If I purchased a photo and it came with a studio name on the photo I would probably return it. If it was an artist signature the photo was printed with the signature on an edge that framed the photo - and I knew the photo was coming with a signature - then I would probably accept it. Note I said a signature, not a studio name.

For images delivered on a CD, make sure you have a copyright in the file. But I don't think it's reasonable to place a studio name on the file in such a way that it prints.

--- Denise

Hi Denise,

Thank you for your response. I do have the copyright information embedded in each file, I don't know I just looked at the wedding photos of my daughter and all of them have the studio name on them. Also I looked at a few others that have been done at studios and they also have the name on them. Small like I said but it is there. I don't need the negative publicity that one person can do so I guess to make him happy I will re-do them for him.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    I have seen Pro pix from back in the very early 1900's and they all had either the Photogs name or studio name....I have seen this all my short life (almost 56 yrs now) and I have done it myself for all my time as a Photog 9over 30 yrs)...it is not really advertising for me... it shows that you take pride in your work and want people to know who did it.... In the past it was gold foil stamped on the lower right corner but it showed when the images were mated and framed, now I either actually sign the work or use the PS action I made using a pen/ tablet to create my signature...what I do recoil from is the increasing number of photogs that seem to deem it appropriate to plaster a copyright statement on printed prints they want to sell...been seeing this done to so called fine art prints at shows other places I see prints for sale when traveling now that sux big time to me....also have seen prints with fuill contact info printed into the image....that also to me is a huge no no ...but each to their own...

Every wedding company and studio I ever contracted for had the studio name on all the prints from proofs to the largest enlargement ... it also helps deter that person that want to copy the smallish 5x7 or 8x10 and make the 20x30 or 40x60 enlargement.....and if a prospective client tells me they do not want my signature on the images, I tell them it is for history..so that down the road 25 or 30 yrs anyone seeing that image knows who made it...just like Rembrant, michangelo, or another artist of any medium...we all sign our work.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    I think it depends on the subject of the pic and it's application.

A small studio name on a print from a wedding would not be out of place. I sure wouldn't want to see it on every single pic in an album though.
    on A wall print I think a SMALL and elegant studio signature is appropriate as well.

Of course if you are doing commercial work, then this would be highly out of place.

It the account of the OP, It may well come down to experience as shown here. Some have never seen it so don't expect it, so have so do. I would say this had something to do with the client complaint as well.

As long as it was just the studio name and no conact info, I don't see a problem. If the signature is bold and has website of phone info, I think that would be inappropriate as that is clearly advertising rather than a signature.
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Use the term print license as well vs copyright that is useful, then you can spell out what he has to do (either way you can) but the trend now is print license so you still retain full copyright to those images. Olan mills has that corner mark on it in foil. I don't like it personally and our cd/dvd have no marking on them for clean images when they pay for the disc.

We are converting our corner watermark to a full low opacity watermark for the print screeners to have a crappy look if they copy it. If you do the print mark they can always be cropped out or edited anyway. Most people when printing don't want the distraction and labs will give them more grief over printing and some DO NOT print with the print mark on it. Do you have a sample of what it looks like?
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    Do Ferrari owners complain that the companies name is on the car and they are advertising them for free, rather paying them to advertise for them.

Almost everything out there has the companies logo. Computers, cameras, tv's, shirts, shoes, cars, etc. Why is it so bad to have a studio name on a print?

I started putting my studio logo on our wallets and so far ive only had one customer complain, and that was because I forgot to point out that it was on the wallets before they ordered. If a customer doesnt want it on the wallets Ill take it off.

Its a brand and some people pay more for a brand. :) Plus its easy advertising since wallets are used to hand out. for some customers Ill toss in free rep cards with a picture on both sides and our contact info on the back.
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    it shows that you take pride in your work and want people to know who did it.

.and if a prospective client tells me they do not want my signature on the images, I tell them it is for history..so that down the road 25 or 30 yrs anyone seeing that image knows who made it...just like Rembrant, michangelo, or another artist of any medium...we all sign our work.

As a client, I'm not here to massage your ego. If you can't produce the work requested without the need to proclaim your greatness to the world, I'd move on to the next guy. I don't want your name on my images. 25-30 years down the road, the image will probably be on a dusty old cd in the attic, let alone have someone caring who shot them.