Options

Headshots (opinions appreciated)

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited January 9, 2012 in People
So I had a client yesterday who needed some headshots. She will be going to NY for auditions in a couple weeks. Here are some of the images.

chalialatour-20-L.jpg

chalialatour-24-L.jpg

chalialatour-94-L.jpg

chalialatour-146-L.jpg

chalialatour-373-L.jpg

chalialatour-285-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    Justin,

Here is a site that might help with head shot info. I don't know this guy but a brief look seemed be worthwhile. http://www.zerotopia.com/x/home

#6 really bothers me. Looks like a serious attack of static electricity. Also it seems like all the shots were taken with a wide aperture lens. normally I would use something on the order of 50mm to say 135.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    the wind was causing a bit of an issue. I do have a 50mm lens, I will try that next time. I used the Nikon 17-55mm lens
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    These are great portraits, but they don't say headshot to me. Did you see this stickied thread on head shots here? deal.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    Thank you anonymouscuban for the information.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    No problem Justin. Like I said, these are really good portraits. She's going to really be happy with them but I just don't know if they are typical of head shots. BTW, she's a pretty gal and I think my favs are 2 and 6.

Don't listen to Sam about the hair. He's tends to be a little grumpy this late in the day.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    In haste so can't offer detailed C&C of each, but FWIW....

Some very pretty shots but (IMO) WAY too much background for headshots (and they're all 3/4 shots to boot); also, a headshot needs to CONNECT with the viewer - while some "look away from camera" shots can work, usually a straight gaze into the viewer's (casting director's!) face is a good thing :D

I think #2 has great potential if you crop WAY in. Lose all the pillars and crop right into her hair from the left and above - you've got gorgeous light and a great expression there - and awesome leading lines on the rh side - and if you have the pixel density to crop it way down that shot SINGS. Try it and see what you think thumb.gif (#4 might also have worked with a crop, but I'm bothered by the bright patch of light on her neck....)

BTW, an actor should have SOME 3/4 and full length shots to use as needed - particularly ones which show some environment as though they could be a still from a movie - but a headshot qua headshot does need to focus on the FACE.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    one more Might or might not fall in the headshot category:

chalialatour-52-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    This is great advice thank you very much :)
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Long ago I did casting for film and television. These are awesome portraits but as mentioned they may not be the strongest headshots. Tons of information has been written down discussing the art of the headshot. It is one of those things that takes a lot of practice to get good at. Remember that the purpose of this image is to sell, sell, sell. In the final round a casting director ends up with dozens of these things scattered all over the floor as the production team sifts through the options. They will "pair up" head shots with other actors to see how they look together, agonize over every detail, etc. These shots end up in a big casting book with a three-hole punch. Notes will be written on the back, etc. It is going to get physically handled a lot, especially if it makes it to the last round. They all end up in the trash at the end. It is a marketing tool, not a keep-sake. Knowing that can help when doing the photography.

Casting is, quite frankly, quite brutal and mean spirited. Humans get reduced to the shopping equivalent of produce.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    No problem Justin. Like I said, these are really good portraits. She's going to really be happy with them but I just don't know if they are typical of head shots. BTW, she's a pretty gal and I think my favs are 2 and 6.

Don't listen to Sam about the hair. He's tends to be a little grumpy this late in the day.

I agree that the images themselves are nice, but short of a good head shot. As for the hair comment.......that's not grumpy at all. I looked at it a second time and it still bothers me. :D

Now Justin as for listening to Alex.........while he does have very good info to share you need to remember this is a guy who thinks a 57 Chevy is an ocean going vessel. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    Us Cubans can pretty much turn anything into a sea worthy vessel. deal.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Sam and Alex, you guys crack me up! :lol4

RyanS agree with every word thumb.gif

Justin, that last shot you added won't work because of the people in the BG - very distracting. You could try cropping and tilting, but it might be an awkward one because of the way her hair falls on that side (although her expression is nice)

Also, these days headshots for actors are generally colour - you'll see bw on websites etc, but for submissions, it's rare. Some classical musicians will still use BW, but that is also increasingly rare (and usually because their photos are out of date!)
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    only converted a few into black and white and I have some with out the people. And Sam and Cuban you guys are hilarious.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    She loves them though lol (guess thats a good thing) did some cropping last night on some of the images.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    I'm joining this thread a bit late, and most of what I would say has already been said. But I want to emphasize (or perhaps correct) something Divamum says. She says headshots are generally color. I think more properly said, headshots are **always** color. Any casting director will assume that a B&W headshot either (a) is very old and therefore not a good representation of what the actor looks like, or (b) comes from an actor who is very unprofessional and has no idea what's going on in the industry. Although I've heard this isn't true in England, it is definitely true in NY and LA.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    I wouldn't say unprofessional, she just graduated from CSU and majored in theater, more on the inexperienced? Took at look at your site Brett for some knowledge :)
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    I think that last one you posted works best, shows some genuine personality and a bit of her spirit shining through.
    Nice group overall.