Options

Umbrellas

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited January 12, 2012 in People
First time doing outdoor "modeling" with my new umbrella (aww yeah dat soft light). Model is my lovely better half. C&C, as always, very welcome, even more so if it's detailed and honest.

Notice the umbrella in the picture, I was really trying to drive the point home on the whole umbrella subject.

IMG0240-L.jpg

IMG0218-L.jpg

IMG0202-L.jpg

And an outtake:

IMG0170-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Howdy Q,
    I like what you have going on here with a couple thoughts...
    #1 love it overall ... Would like to see umbrella brighter red- like you have it in image 3. But her knees pointing straight up are driving me nuttso & believe me... That's a short drive...lol
    I would like to throw a thought out to you on the posing on #1
    I never seat a woman flat bottomed... I would have rolled her to her left.. She would be sitting on the side of her hip... It's uncomfortable as all get out but it provides a flow when you bring her legs back to the right... This also forces her knees down for a more fem look... And gives a sweet S to the pose... Try it for yourself... You'll feel what I mean...
    #2 more red... Take a look at her calves... I promise she has & I bet she isn't quite happy with them... I think it is just a slight lighting deal or maybe timing... They look a bit thick is what I am getting at... See what I mean?
    I just love 3... Love the red... Love the shadow the light throws too. Your last image... I'm just not crazy about it- it washes her out to much for my liking... Maybe a reflector would balance this shot a little ... But still give the look you have...
    What do you think? Thanks for sharing
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    Howdy Q,
    I like what you have going on here with a couple thoughts...
    #1 love it overall ... Would like to see umbrella brighter red- like you have it in image 3. But her knees pointing straight up are driving me nuttso & believe me... That's a short drive...lol
    I would like to throw a thought out to you on the posing on #1
    I never seat a woman flat bottomed... I would have rolled her to her left.. She would be sitting on the side of her hip... It's uncomfortable as all get out but it provides a flow when you bring her legs back to the right... This also forces her knees down for a more fem look... And gives a sweet S to the pose... Try it for yourself... You'll feel what I mean...
    #2 more red... Take a look at her calves... I promise she has & I bet she isn't quite happy with them... I think it is just a slight lighting deal or maybe timing... They look a bit thick is what I am getting at... See what I mean?
    I just love 3... Love the red... Love the shadow the light throws too. Your last image... I'm just not crazy about it- it washes her out to much for my liking... Maybe a reflector would balance this shot a little ... But still give the look you have...
    What do you think? Thanks for sharing

1. I really appreciate the insight on posing you've given, Cowboy. This was one of my first times working with outdoor "studio" style lighting, so it was a struggle to get that right at first with stands falling over, no E-TTL cord (relying on the 7D wireless ability, which I have now discovered is fairly ineffective outdoors), etc. So, I'm not surprised the posing is wrong, considering I have no idea what I'm doing and my wife can only try her best.

If you could do me a big favor and post an image that depicts what you're saying, that would be great.

2. My wife does have larger legs, she is nearly 6' tall, and danced for 22 years so she has a little muscle down there. I'm not sure how to flatter her more in that shot, but perhaps you could give some insight on that. That image was actually totally random, and not what I wanted to achieve, but I thought the Mary Poppins look was kind of neat when I captured it, so here it is.

3. Thank you very much, it's our favorite as well.

4. Just an outtake, not really anything special, but maybe a reflector will work in the future.
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    The distractions - in #1, I would clone out whatever (pole) high left. In #2 & 3, I would walk down the tracks a little more. Especially #2.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    cbbr wrote: »
    The distractions - in #1, I would clone out whatever (pole) high left. In #2 & 3, I would walk down the tracks a little more. Especially #2.

I would have loved to get farther down the tracks, but unfortunately we were on the very edge of a "no trespassing" area. I went here with train tracks in mind, but we were disappointed to find that there is not a single place without distractions somewhere. I'm disappointed with that stuff as well, but it was more of a lighting study and less of a "let's make a perfect image" study, although I understand that we should always try to achieve that.

#1 is certainly salvageable, though, in that regard, so I will do that.

IMG0240-L.jpg

Much better!