Options

The Money Changer

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited January 12, 2012 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Now you're talking. This is street photography. The expression on the guy's face as he counts the money makes you wonder whether or not he's been ripped off, and the composition that put him in the left third of the picture and included the pictures -- especially the darker picture in the upper right, which draws your eye in a diagonal from the man's face, which is angled down, to the picture is excellent. Really good geometry in this one, Ben. Bravo! It's a winner.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    I would have preferred to see this composed to the right third of the frame,the pictures in the upper right are distracting and take your eyes away from the main focal point, mainly the money.

The man is looking down and to his right, this would have given him some space,and would have provided a place for your eyes to come to rest and focus on the subject, because people read from left to right their eyes have a natural tendency to follow this same pattern when looking at a photograph .

Something to keep in mind .
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    You're right, Mole. Ideally the picture would have been best if the man was on the right, looking down to his left, as he is in this picture, and with the pictures on the wall to the left. It's usually best if a person looking inward in a picture has space in front of him. But that's ideally. Like the guy in that old seventies song, "You ain't seen nothin yet," Ben had to take what he could get. What he got was pretty dang good. Under the circumstances I don't see how it could be improved.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Now you're talking. This is street photography. The expression on the guy's face as he counts the money makes you wonder whether or not he's been ripped off, and the composition that put him in the left third of the picture and included the pictures -- especially the darker picture in the upper right, which draws your eye in a diagonal from the man's face, which is angled down, to the picture is excellent. Really good geometry in this one, Ben. Bravo! It's a winner.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2011
    lensmole wrote: »
    I would have preferred to see this composed to the right third of the frame,the pictures in the upper right are distracting and take your eyes away from the main focal point, mainly the money.

The man is looking down and to his right, this would have given him some space,and would have provided a place for your eyes to come to rest and focus on the subject, because people read from left to right their eyes have a natural tendency to follow this same pattern when looking at a photograph .

Something to keep in mind .

You do realize he is Chinese rolleyes1.gif

Seriously.
    I have no problem approaching folks in pursuit of images, but some need a cautious approach and this is one of them. I did try from the right but he immediatly stop what he was doing. I moved on and then approached from the left and the above is the result.
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Ben, I am Chinese and it's more difficult for me to get a street shot of Chinese than other people.

On the other hand, that just means that it's a great challenge (see my next post).
    bfjr wrote: »

Seriously.
    I have no problem approaching folks in pursuit of images, but some need a cautious approach and this is one of them. I did try from the right but he immediatly stop what he was doing. I moved on and then approached from the left and the above is the result.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011

Seriously.

Yes I agree with the previous post RSL pretty darn good ,considering the circumstance.
    I would be on edge counting money anywhere,even at the Bank.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011

QUOTE]

I assume you are referring to the direction of reading. A traditional Chinese text would read from right to left...

Good knowledge, Ben.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    You're right, Mole. Ideally the picture would have been best if the man was on the right, looking down to his left, as he is in this picture, and with the pictures on the wall to the left. It's usually best if a person looking inward in a picture has space in front of him. But that's ideally. Like the guy in that old seventies song, "You ain't seen nothin yet," Ben had to take what he could get. What he got was pretty dang good. Under the circumstances I don't see how it could be improved.
    richardman wrote: »
    Ben, I am Chinese and it's more difficult for me to get a street shot of Chinese than other people.

On the other hand, that just means that it's a great challenge (see my next post).
    lensmole wrote: »
    Yes I agree with the previous post RSL pretty darn good ,considering the circumstance.
    I would be on edge counting money anywhere,even at the Bank.

I assume you are referring to the direction of reading. A traditional Chinese text would read from right to left...

Good knowledge, Ben.

Thanks Folks
    Richard, this shot was taken in LA China Town. Just in ref. to your project.
    Mole, he was truly on the sidewalk counting away.
    Rainbow, yes direction, thanks for that.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Chinese is read from left to right, sometimes top to bottom.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    damonff wrote: »
    Chinese is read from left to right, sometimes top to bottom.

Horizontal phrases in Chinese are written left to right, but usually only used for store signs and banners etc.

Normal writing is up and down, and right to left. Hence books open opposite of the English language ones.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    richardman wrote: »
    Horizontal phrases in Chinese are written left to right, but usually only used for store signs and banners etc.

Normal writing is up and down, and right to left. Hence books open opposite of the English language ones.

That is the source of the stereotype: when you see an Asian reading it looks like s/he is agreeing with what is written whereby the Western language reader looks like s/he is disagreeing.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Ha ha Ben, in my memory, I thought you have a full face on picture of him and I wondered how you have gotten it, as he is alone in a great wall of nothing else. So I thought either you must be right in front of him (like within 2 feet :-) ) or all the way on the other side of the street (30 feet?). I guess you can walk from the right hand side.

Still a good shot though. I thought if he has seen me taking his photo, he will for sure curse me out in Chinese :-)
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Nice one Ben... thumb.gif

Good conversion

Well done
    Rags