Options

Artistic Style

Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
edited January 12, 2012 in People
Hello everyone, I will admit I don't post here often, I've only recently gained interest in photographing people after developing my own technique. I've been an artist since a child and have always favored the look of a painting (but real). Over the past few years I've been playing with several different programs and finally nailed a look I'm happy with. I am interested in your thoughts, comments, and suggestions for self improvement. Here are a couple samples.

This is the full color candid from over the weekend

1255845381_Ssnp8rL-L.jpg

The same photo blended with a sepia tone to get an older look

1257502930_hJMJBVL-L.jpg

and a black and white of my children.

1259578034_s4Jr9Mb-L.jpg

I've got a few more subjects lined up, so hopefully I can share more soon.

Thanks,

Troy

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    perfect exposure, great light, great processing, and nice poses and expressions. what not to like!?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    Thank You Qarik! Anyone else? good or bad? thoughts on the slight painted look?
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    I really like all three exposures. Very rich looking.

I may be missing something regarding the "painted" look though. Was that treatment applied to all three images?
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    Yes, the 'treatment' is mainly noticeable in the hair smoothing, I had to remove the treatment from the dress because it messed up the pattern. There are about 6-8 differently composed images (cross processed between 3 programs) layer blended in photoshop. A process that can be done rather quickly now.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    Thought I'd share one of the latest images. thumb.gif

Logan001-L.jpg
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    cute baby! but several issues here..skin tones looks off to me..too much grey? Also I am not fan of the crop or angle. Maybe should have kept the legs and shown the whole box.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Like the group shot and baby. The couple seem smashed together for my taste. Do like the hair treatment and exposures.
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Howdy Troy,
    Thanks for sharing... My thoughts...,
    I'm also not crazy about the couple because of the clutch & squish... Lightly touching each others cheeks would have given you a better result... The clutch they are doing is very high school prom... We need to protect our subjects from such hings...lol I like the photo... Just a little lighter touch and it would be deluxe... What do you think?
    As for the baby... I get your crop & like it... Very nice... Show us more...
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Cute baby shot, but in futureyou might want to put new images in their own threads. If someone had "unsubscribed" to your thread back in the spring, they might not have ever seen this image.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I'm not seeing the paint concept. Looks a bit soft focus or glowing (a la NIK) in places, but nothing that takes it into a new frontier. The baby picture works, but I would have preferred a more straight on angle and different crop (either closer -- eliminating the more-or-less empty space on the right side of the frame, or wider -- showing off the whole baby)