Options

Camera Clip? This thing is looking pretty cool

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited January 16, 2012 in Accessories
I am intrigued by this thing and being able to use it with any of my packs.

http://peakdesignltd.com/

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited January 10, 2012
    That has some genuine innovation. Good catch. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    this one nor the spider holster allow you to keep your QR's attached for tripod use.
    but then again I use a tripod more than a lot of shooters do....and have since the beginning....
    If these people would make these things offset and to fit under the QR plate on camera then
    I would be more interested ....until then still sticking with my OPTech Dual Harness....but
    then I do not jog with my cameras ever, even if I was able to jog .... ... ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 10, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    this one nor the spider holster allow you to keep your QR's attached for tripod use.
    but then again I use a tripod more than a lot of shooters do....and have since the beginning....
    If these people would make these things offset and to fit under the QR plate on camera then
    I would be more interested ....until then still sticking with my OPTech Dual Harness....but
    then I do not jog with my cameras ever, even if I was able to jog .... ... ... ...

They do state, "Capture's quick-release plate is compatible with all Arca-Swiss-style tripod heads, so your camera can go straight from your belt to the tripod, no disassembly necessary."

If you use an Arca-Swiss system compatible head you're good to go (they say).
    ziggy53
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    Smooth!:D Thanks. Only concern is how uncrackable is the frame interface between camera and lock?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited January 10, 2012
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    Dang! I like my Cotton Carrier system, but this looks way simpler.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    They do state, "Capture's quick-release plate is compatible with all Arca-Swiss-style tripod heads, so your camera can go straight from your belt to the tripod, no disassembly necessary."

yes i read that ... ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    This is why the arca Swiss standard is great. More and more companies are using it. Even joby uses it for their gorillapod head.
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012

Spider makes an Arca-swiss plate and it works great - from belt to tripod with no problem.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    cbbr wrote: »
    Spider makes an Arca-swiss plate and it works great - from belt to tripod with no problem.

I have been using Manfrotto Plates for over 25yrs...not interested in changing systems now...hence the reason for my comment...both companies need and off set system .....

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »

Me too..............

Sam
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I have been using Manfrotto Plates for over 25yrs...not interested in changing systems now...hence the reason for my comment...both companies need and off set system .....

I don't have one to try, but I don't know that a Manfrotto plate wouldn't fit. The pin can be offset pretty far out. I know for a fact that the newer Spider plate will work, but you will want the heavier holster. Send them an e-mail or give them a call - their customer service is great. Hijack over...
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    ziggy53
  • Options
    PeakDesignPeakDesign Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 12, 2012
    Hi Folks,

Adam from Peak Design here - this thread was shared with us by one of the forum members and I wanted to chime in to answer some of the questions/comments.

First off, we're friends with SmugMug and as of today we have started offering $10 off Capture to all Smuggers

Secondly, thank you ZeroDog for sharing Capture. For spreading the good word we'd like to hook you up - shoot us an email to info@peakdesignltd.com so we can get your details!

Thirdly, let us address some of the great comments/questions on this chain...
    Yep, that's correct. Capture's Quick-Release plate works with *nearly* all Arca-Swiss compatible heads, including brands like Wimberly, Kirk and Really Right Stuff (RRS). Additionally, Capture is compatible with JOBY's GorillaPod Focus and GorillaPod Ballhead X. The only time we've had issues with Arca-Swiss compatibility are tripod heads with a proprietary locking system (i.e. not a screw or a clamp, but some sort of other locking device). We find these nonstandard systems more prevalent in lower end equipment. If you have a decent Arca-Swiss head, you should be good to go.
    Smooth! Thanks. Only concern is how uncrackable is the frame interface between camera and lock?
    We place our company's reputation on Capture's quality and security. The locking mechanism has been tested to withstand 150 lbs of force - here's a video of Peter Dering (Capture inventor and head of Peak Design) testing the QR lock with 105 lbs of weight.
    We definitely hear you. Tripod compatibility was a major factor in Capture's design, and to start we decided to go with Arca Swiss because it's the closest thing to a "universal standard" as you can get. But we won't stop there. We've got a laundry list of product improvements and add-ons designed to let more folks integrate Capture into their existing systems, and Manfrotto-compatibility is right at the top of that list. While we can't pre-announce any specifics, stay tuned to our Facebook Page over the next few months for updates. Note that Capture's plate does have an auxiliary threaded hole to attach an additional tripod plate onto, so you don't have to remove Capture's plate to attach your Manfrotto plate.
    Icebear and Sam - I can't believe we didn't have to even pay you to say that :) You really hit the nail on the head when it comes to the whole point of Capture. No disrespect to Cotton - they make high quality gear, and there is a time and a place for it. But if you're already wearing a backpack, or a belt, or a climbing harness, or lifejacket, or baby bjorn or whatever... then you don't necessarily need a bulky camera carrying system on top of that. Even if you have a full-frame body and a telephoto lens, you can still use Capture with a heavy-duty belt (like the ThinkTank ProSpeed) and lug around your camera with a relatively unintrusive system.
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I was really interested when I saw this on the smug blog, would love something like this to secure my camera when I'm scrambling up some boulders, would love to have both hands free for a few minutes instead of using one to cradle my camera so it doesn't hit the rocks, but I use RRS L brackets and you'd have to pry them out of my cold dead hands. Like Art, I wish there was a way for this to be compatible with my current plate.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    Offtopic you could screw this plate right onto your RRS bracket. I have Kirk brackets and would most likely do the same if I used one of these. My plates have never been off my camera. The L plate is like a little roll cage! I attach my strap to the camera plates too.

I am liking the option of using it like the guy did with the back pack. This would be cool for backpacking and backcountry skiing.
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Have you tried it on a camera with a grip?
    I'd assume that it'd make not much of a difference, but the grip does extend the camera out quite a bit..
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012

I do just fine with my Arca Swiss plate, when running the Spider Hoster. I just screw in the holster nub off-center like it ought to be, leaving the center portion of my plate free to clamp. Works great! Although I do have an ultra-slim ballhead clamp, the TINIEST one that Kirk makes which is less than an inch wide. Holds my gear like a rock though, no problems at all...

This system looks great for anyone who has already adopted the Arca-Swiss system, and especially for people like backpackers who need a way to secure their camera in all different configurations, from shoulder straps to belts etc. The modular design is quite elegant.

For wedding photography though, I gotta stick with my Spider Holster system. Much more functional for action shooting where style and comfort are a factor.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Wow thank you Peak Design! And what a deal for Smuggers too. I will post a full review when I use it with my packs!