Options

Old Sturbridge Village, MA

rt2photort2photo Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited January 13, 2012 in Journeys
OSV is a working museum village set in the 1830's, rural MA, and less than 45 mins from my house. My wife and I have a yearly membership there, and can come and go at will, and I love the place, always something different and interesting to see, from tin workers, to blacksmiths - and on this particular trip, they were butchering a pig. It was an OSV raised animal, and the meat will be butchered and preserved in traditional period ways - then used in their kitchens and demo homes throughout the coming year.

I've been in a bit of a photographic rut, and decided that I'd bring along my DSLR and a single, fixed lens (the 28mm f1.8), no flash (many of these homes and buildings have no interior lighting beyond period lighting) and shoot the entire set in B&W - I also had my wife and toddler along, so many times, I was even restricted to one hand shooting, as I was carrying / feeding / hanging onto a toddler at the same time!

You can find the entire set here:

http://www.rt2photo.com/Travel/Old-Sturbridge-Village/OSV-January-2012/

But here's some of my favorites:

A tin worker making candle holders that then get used in the homes or sold in the gift shop:
2012-01-07-at-13-03-18-M.jpg

The blacksmith, stoking his fires to make trivets (they also make everything from horseshoes to the nails they use in the buildings):
2012-01-07-at-13-42-17-M.jpg

The potter:
2012-01-07-at-13-55-52-M.jpg

The farmer bleeding out the pig:
2012-01-07-at-13-19-03-M.jpg

The housewife in her kitchen - a bowl of the intestines from the pig, last years blood sausage and showing a group of kids the hearts from the animals
2012-01-07-at-13-32-29-M.jpg

They carefully signposted the entire area with the butchering going on, and made sure people were aware what they would see - as a country boy myself, it was no big deal, but my city bred wife was amazed!

My son and wife enjoying cookies and mulled cider outside the general store :)
2012-01-07-at-14-35-50-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    Lovely light. I especially like the first and third one.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2012
    Lovely light. I especially like the first and third one.

Thanks - that was lit with the regular daylight coming in through windows just outside the frame - those buildings are really dark, especially the blacksmiths and potters!
  • Options
    divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Very good series with interesting story. I think the one of the tin maker really captures the mood/atmosphere superbly. As a side note, the color in the watermark is somewhat distracting on the B/W shots, at least to my eye.
    Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    divmedic4 wrote: »
    Very good series with interesting story. I think the one of the tin maker really captures the mood/atmosphere superbly. As a side note, the color in the watermark is somewhat distracting on the B/W shots, at least to my eye.

Hi,

Agreed - the tin maker shot became one of my favorites pretty quickly - I'm also partial to some of the potter.

The w/m is only there when they are hosted on SM and shared - my final prints, obviosusly, won't have it :)