Options

New and would love some cc

AGPhoto13AGPhoto13 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 13, 2012 in People
I am new to photography and I trying to make it a business, please give me some honest CC on my work and on the best ways to advertise.. I am moving to SOMD in 2.5 weeks and I would love to get steady work once we get settled.. TIA

Comments

• Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    Ok Help I dont know how to add more than one photo so here is a link to my website...

TIA I really need any and all advice and comments!! :)

http://www.ashleygunninphotography.com/#!portfolio
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    AGPhoto13 wrote: »
    Ok Help I dont know how to add more than one photo so here is a link to my website...

TIA I really need any and all advice and comments!! :)

http://www.ashleygunninphotography.com/#!portfolio
    You asked......You say your new to photography and by looking at your images your inexperience is evident.

My comment is simple.................learn and practice. You are not ready to present yourself as a professional photographer.

Start by looking at other photographers work. You seem to be focused on people, families,. kids etc. There are quite a few really good people photographers here, look at their work.

Post one or two of your best images and ask for specific ways to improve.

No one can magically become a good photographer without effort and time.

The image you posed has been taken without care in bright sunlight with shadows and blown out areas. The tone is cold rather than the warm glow of impending motherhood. The hand of the woman on the left is way to dark ever emphasizing knuckles. The hand on the right is blown out without any detail.

I do like the concept, but again it takes time and experience to turn an idea into a great photo.

I am sorry if this seems harsh. It is not meant to be, it's intended to be honest. providing false praise is even worse.

If you are determined to get better than stick around read, learn, ask questions and be prepared to work hard.

Good luck!!!

Sam
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Howdy Tia & welcome... Bless your heart but I agree with Sam and If he hadn't of said it I would have... And like Sam... We offer this... Not to offend you but to challenge you. Now A comment about this photo... I'm really not certain what you have going on here in this image - 2 ladies bumping bellies? Sisters... Girl friends... Show offs? Lol. Really... It just doesn't make sense without at least being able to see if they might look like they are sisters... Which is my guess... That or good friends or? The image as it is is a snap-shop... Tell us... What do YOU think you could do to make it better?
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Sam wins.

I was going to post "oh look, another soccer mum got a camera", but figured it would be unfair. Unlike most of the soccer mom's i've encountered, you are asking for an opinion, and do not settle for the oohs and ahhhs from facebook friends.

I looked through the site and facebook stream.. and I'd say I wouldn't be advertising at all.. I'd be reading more books, buying DVDs on photogaphy and attending seminars. While at that, I would be shooting as much as I can and asked people to tear my images apart, and not get butt hurt about people being negative.

That was my start, anyhow. I've learned a great deal from guys on this and few other forums.. but i also have heavily invested into literature covering the topic at hand.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I am new to photography and I trying to make it a business

:/ Logic says, listen to these gentlemen above this post.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I took a quick glance through your website. It's not ready for prme time yet, but your photos of children definitely show that you have a good eye. Now it's time to take it to another level. Learn about light (and lighting), foremost. That is one of the key things that will differentiate an amateur from a professional. And practice, practice, practice. You might be able to find an experienced photographer or studio to intern for or assist. It's a great way to learn.

Good luck!

(and where/what is SOMD?)
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Brett... Nicely said
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Thank you all for all the advice and cc; I know I have a ton to learn. But everyone has to start somewhere. Thank you to those that took the time to look at my website and offer advice. All these images are shoots that I have done for friends just to build my portfolio so I have no real paid work yet. I am actually looking at getting with an established photographer and seeing if I can take some mentoring classes from them- or just intern with them. SO if anyone knows anyone is the southern MD area please let me know. Thanks again I appreciate it. Even the harsh stuff.. :)
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Sorry.. SOMD _ Southern Maryland..
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    AGPhoto13 wrote: »
    Thank you all for all the advice and cc; I know I have a ton to learn. But everyone has to start somewhere. Thank you to those that took the time to look at my website and offer advice. All these images are shoots that I have done for friends just to build my portfolio so I have no real paid work yet. I am actually looking at getting with an established photographer and seeing if I can take some mentoring classes from them- or just intern with them. SO if anyone knows anyone is the southern MD area please let me know. Thanks again I appreciate it. Even the harsh stuff.. :)

Ashley,

I am not tying to be harsh. I am trying to convey a realistic view of your work. Yes we all have to start somewhere, and trying to apprentice with an established photographer is one way in addition to classes and self study.

The area that that sparked the responses was your original post asking for advice about starting a photography business and advertising.

The work posted is practice. Portfolio work is your very best work to show clients.

Don't run away............go to work!!! :D

Sam
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Ashley,

Is there anything I can do to help? An impartial eye might help you gain some confidence as well as give you a specific direction. I really like some of the work on your facebook site. I'm wondering why some of those images aren't in your port.

Do you own a reflector? Using one might help you control some of the light in some of the images, especially when a subject is backlit. Are you familiar with basic compositional rules like the "rule of thirds?" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Sam- I really do appreciate your opinion and your comments. Thank you.

Ryan- Thank you for your kind words. I was not aware I had pictures on my FB that were not on my site.. umm I will need to look into that. I don't use a reflector but I was told that would should be my next purchase so I going to look at getting some along with some clips. I am aware of the rule of thirds I don't think I am doing it correctly, but like I said I am very new. I am shooting with a Cannon 60D and I am using a 50mm 1.8 lens; but I am looking at getting a 50mm 1.4 usm; but I am not sure if I should get that one or a 85mm 1.8 usm..

I really do need to make some what of a career out of this so I know I have a long way to go to get there. I have been told from many people forums are the best place to learn, so I am here to learn.. :)
    RyanS wrote: »
    Ashley,

Is there anything I can do to help? An impartial eye might help you gain some confidence as well as give you a specific direction. I really like some of the work on your facebook site. I'm wondering why some of those images aren't in your port.

Do you own a reflector? Using one might help you control some of the light in some of the images, especially when a subject is backlit. Are you familiar with basic compositional rules like the "rule of thirds?" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Ashely much has been said here already so I'm going to only offer some helpful shooting advice based on what I've seen on your FB page and website.

You have a decent sense of your subjects within the frame so the next logical steps are to take note where they are in relation to the environment.
    Look at what's behind them
    Watch where they are located in relation to the sun
    Make sure that they are not halfway in the sun and halfway in the shade
    Try to always place them in the shade unless you shoot at dusk or dawn
    Use fill flash if needed
    Decide weather you want to shoot shallow or wide aperture based on the background and the effect you want
    Learn the rule of thirds but don't be afraid to break it every now and then

Practice these things before you purchase more equipment as buying more stuff will only make matters more complicated until you have a better understanding of light and how to use it to your advantage.

It's true we all have to start somewhere and you seem to have a good loyal client base so you have a great foundation in which to grow in.....

Good luck and keep shooting :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I'll offer you some boringly practical advice. Buy the 85mm f/1.8. You already have a 50mm, and the 1.4 is a very specialized tool. 95% of what you'd want the 1.4 to do can be done with your 1.8.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    I'll offer you some boringly practical advice. Buy the 85mm f/1.8. You already have a 50mm, and the 1.4 is a very specialized tool. 95% of what you'd want the 1.4 to do can be done with your 1.8.

I'll echo this, but what reyvee said is very true. No amount of gear will improve your technique. Less gear will, i.e. using a 50mm f/1.8 exclusively will teach you to move around your subjects.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Won't add more to the comments made here: my initial thought was "Yikes! Hot pixels!"

To that end, I'd make one suggestion: learn to use the histogram on the camera, as it will tell you how to avoid over-exposing digital images.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    I too am a non-professional working towards having my own business with photography. I have been working on my portfolio and teqhnique for a little over 2 years now. I have always had a love for photography and if I could make it a full time job I would. My advice to you is to go find a studio or professional and intern. I did 6 hours a day 2 days a week for over a year and then down to 6 hours on Saturday for the last year. I have moved from intern to associate photographer and it was only by studying, learning from him, and practice practice practice. Looking at the photo you posted it looks like you have good concept, but sub par execution. I agree that if you already have a 50 1.8 dont waste your money on a 50 1.4. Honestly I wouldnt even worry about more gear until the gear you have is holding you back. When you find yourself needing more stuff (skrim, reflector, speed light, ect) thats when you should look for more gear. I didn't listen when I first started out and I now have a closet full of cheap reflectors, umbrellas, and stuff I didn't use, but maybe 3-4 times. Get online and research books in the area you are wanting to focus in. Read the reviews on the books and order them. The only thing you are going to do from books is learn. Another tool I have that I found extremely helpful was Photovision. Take a look at them. Its a DVD set that is $50 a year for 6 DVDs. Each DVD has anywhere from 6-8 photographers showing their studio, how they post process, follows them on shoots, and gives you tips about the market. Way worth the money! Anyways I hope this help!
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    ^^^ what Doogin said.

Back in the day, when I used to teach to rookie reporters, I'd show 'em my gear: the digital rig, the 580EX, the big telephoto. I'd get 'em to guess the price. Then I'd do a live demo of how $4,000 of camera gear could produce total crap out of a basic head shot (lined up against a wall, direct flash) , while a $150 POS point and shoot could do so much better with the help of three steps from the wall, a business card and an elastic band to create a quick flash bounce/diffuser. That's how I'd start my "it ain't the gear, it's the user" discussion.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Please take a business course before trying to dive full time into photography. Too many young photographers see that they've made a $100 profit on a job and are estatic about it. Realize that you've got taxes to pay, insurances, equipment costs, gas, rent and utilities providing you have a studio or home set up. All of a sudden your $100 profit is $0.00. Please be aware of that aspect. Right now is not a good time to be depending on an income from photography. Photography studios and photography stores are going out of business in RECORD numbers. I don't want you to be one of them.
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    I agree with Hackbone here. Have you ever thought about joining the PPA? There is a ton of information to be had on the site, and you can get a ton of business, legal, technique, and marketing advice. If you are planning on running it out of your house you would want to make sure that the price you charge covers everything. Lets say you charge $100 for a 1 hour location session. The location is 40 miles away which we will say costs you $10 in gas. After that you give them a CD of 30 Hi Res images. If you are really good at retouching pictures it could take you between 1-3 minutes an image. 1-3 x 30 you are looking at 30-90 minutes. So right now you have $100 for 2 1/2 hours of work. If you do no packaging of the CD then it would cost you about $.15 for the CD. If you throw in a jewel case ($.30) maybe a business card or two ($50-250 for a box of 100 cards = $2.50 a card). So now out of that $100 you are down to around $85. $34.50 an hour isnt too bad huh? But wait theirs more!

Lets talk about the business part. For me here is all the stuff I would have to have
    Master Business License = $125
    Local business license = $40
    Website (other than Facebook) Photobiz.com does one for $125 + $150 for a shopping cart and then anywhere from $15-150 a month to host images
    Business Insurance - You will want this if you plan on shooting in someones home ( you light shorts out their house = you pay the damage)
    Register business name - This will vary, for me it will be around $40
    Purchase web domain - Again will vary, for me it will be around $40
    Apply for tax ID number - $25

Total startup = $725 on the low end

Hackbone made a very key point pertaining to cost. EQUIPMENT! Your camera is only going to last so long before it will need to be replaced. Same thing with the lenses, speed lights, studio lights, umbrellas, soft boxes, ect. If you are like myself and only have one body at the moment (I am deployed) and cant afford to purchase a back up or replacement you will have to put some of that $85 to the side.

Im not trying to shoot your idea down. I am just trying to provide the same good advice that was provided to me. Make sure all your ducks are in a row, and you will be fine. Like Hackbone said photography business are going out of business right now due to bad planning and many other things. My friend struggled the first couple years he had a studio. He didnt take all of the outside factors into consideration before setting his prices and had to work hard for the last year and a half to get things back on track. I wish you good luck!
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    A course in sales and marketing wouldn't hurt either.