Options

Jasper - critique please

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited January 14, 2012 in People
My attempt to photograph a friend's infant son. Critique most welcome.

Jasper-1-L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    I like the pose a lot and it is a very cute baby. I also like the pinkness of the baby's skin tones.

Here are a couple of things that could be improved upon, at least in my opinion.

In this photograph the point where the hand is holding the foot is very sharp. The foot in the foreground is very soft. Not sure if that is a DOF issue or a SS issue, but for me and this pose, the entire baby should be sharp.

Part of the baby is being hidden because of the softness of the item the baby is laying on. I would like to see the entire baby. Maybe use something a bit more firm the next time.

Would also be nice to have the background be a bit more pure white.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    Thanks Bryce. It was a DOF issue. I shot it on the spur of the moment while he was lying on the changing table. I will keep your suggestions in mind when next I have the opportunity to shoot him again. Thanks so much for the pointers.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    It's a cute shot, no doubt. But it doesn't quite pop. If you have any off-camera lights (flash, strobe, etc.), you could add some shadowing and depth to the shot.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Also you need to have the infant further from the background. You can see discoloration between the hand and foot. Agree on the depth of field issue. All in all it is a nice shot but a professional would watch out for these issues. Keep posting and educating yourself in photography and business.
  • Options
    VitaminVVitaminV Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    I think this is REAL close to being a very nice capture. I also like the pose and the shooting angle. I think the DOF would be fine, if the focal point was the eyes/face and not the back foot. I'm guessing the camera picked it?

And then as Bryce pointed out, the edge of the changing table (?) both in the front and behind the baby's head is distracting in both how it hides part of the baby and in the reflective property of the plastic. I'd probably grab a soft fuzzy blanket, either white or some other pale soft color.

If no one else will say it, I will. At this angle, you can lose the diaper, especially with the white background. With it, a good percentage of area is washed out. Plus I think it would add to the cute factor, unless of course the parent is against it.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    As close as you were, if you shoot it again, I'd crank that lens down to f/11. Your flash should be able to handle that.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2012
    Thanks so much for all the tips you've provided. It was a spur of the moment thing - no off camera lights etc, just my SB800. Totally agree about the diaper as well. Next time.

patti hinton photography