Options

Sunset Cliffs

AdamideasAdamideas Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited January 16, 2012 in Landscapes
Hello everybody! My name is Adam, how do you do? This is the very first time I have ever posted a photo in a forum! Hope I did this right. This is a shot from the other night at Sunset Cliffs in San Diego. Critiques are welcome and encouraged.

6696217145_8b0049026b_b.jpg

Comments

• Options
    A-1 BossA-1 Boss Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Nice Shot! beautiful location.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2012
    Hey thanks Boss. I decided to lighten it up some. I always need a few days to look over and process an image. It was taken at f/2 which is not something I usually do for landscapes (1/2sec iso50). I focused on the rocks where they meet the surf in the lower center. I took several in this area but this one stood out to me because of the f/2. Anybody do large aperture landscapes?

-Adam
  • Options
    A-1 BossA-1 Boss Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    I usually shoot with a higher f# like f10 and up but it looks like you got what you were after.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 16, 2012
    Adamideas wrote: »
    I took several in this area but this one stood out to me because of the f/2.
    Great shot. I love the subdued reflected colors and the foreground detail. I'm curious about the above comment though. In what way does the fact that it was shot at F/2 make the image stand out to you?
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Great shot. I love the subdued reflected colors and the foreground detail. I'm curious about the above comment though. In what way does the fact that it was shot at F/2 make the image stand out to you?

Thanks for the comments guys.

Lately I have been wanting to break out of my normal shooting habits to see if I can push myself to do things differently (such as higher iso's or shallow DOF). I took several shots from this location at various f stops, iso's, and shutter speeds and this one it stands out to me simply because I discovered you could do a beautiful landscape at f/2... and I don't think there are any elements in the shot that really give any indication as to what the f/stop was.

Also, I have been trying to put more thought into each shot and understand what the scene requires. For this one, I realized that the waves would not benefit from being in focus if I used a slow shutter and that the far off horizon was a cloudy mess - not a defined line. Its funny, I over thought it because it turns out hyperfocal distance is 67 feet for 35mm at f/2 so I guess technically everything should be in focus anyway (if the shutter is quick enough of course).

-Adam