Options

Red Heads - Correct skin tone...

LilyJackLilyJack Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited January 17, 2012 in People
Hi there,

I took some shots for this senior. He's a red head, has the ruddy skin tone but was also nervous which made him blush a lot. His mom noted it during the shoot and I said I'd be able to tone it down. I've done okay (no expert yet) with some but the one he wants for his wallet is giving me issues. Are there any tricks for getting ruddy skintones to look okay without going greenish? And I know I have lots of lessons to learn with color management...Here's to trying to get better.

Thanks,
Kate

#1 Issues on tones - I can tell it's off because the barn board has a yellowish cast to it too.
i-Bj6HQHN-M.jpg

#2 Okay tones:
i-wpG9R4H-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    I've shot people with red hair and I had similar issues SOOC but I adjusted the WB in post and corrected their skin tones ...
    Based on his white tee collar and the whites of his eyes I's say these are still off a bit....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Thanks Diva. I'd seen that tute before but had lost it. It helps with razor burn too.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Thanks Diva. I'd seen that tute before but had lost it. It helps with razor burn too.

I have it bookmarked and in a folder where I can actually find it (unlike most of the bookmarks I click while browsing rolleyes1.gif). It's the best way I've tried to clean up this particular problem thumb.gif
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    This is what I do:

1. Camera set to RAW, set WB to the closed possible environmental light condition or auto
    2. Before the actual shot, take a picture of a graycard (18%) or a spidercube. (to be used for the WB adjustement later) at that location.
    3. Optional, take a shot of a color checker card (X-rite). (used to calibrate the camera afterwards)
    4. In Lightroom or any other RAW converter program, select the picture of the gray card and use the eyedropper to set the WB (temperature).
    5. Apply these settings to all the pictures taken under the same light conditions.
    6. Optional, create a DNG file of the color checker card and apply it to the X-rite color checking software to create the camera profile, then selected that profile in LR. Redo de gray card eyedropper as in step 4.
    7. The colors should be fairly realistic, and you can now apply the tips referred to by Andy.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    LilyJackLilyJack Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Thanks for pointing me to that tutorial. I did use the Hue/Sat, but not quite like this method. I adlusted manually but I should know my now, our eyes don't render it as well as the system. I will try it tonight or this weekend and repost. I have two kids and a puppy so time during the day for me to photoplay is limited ;) Thanks for that process too, D3. I will have to experiment with that.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    These need a bit more black point.
    Go to saturation, reduce yellow a bit.
    For red skin...select the skin reduce red saturation to taste.

Eyedropper on the white shirt, black shirt or gray fence...one of those would probably get you close.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    This is what I do:

1. Camera set to RAW, set WB to the closed possible environmental light condition or auto
    2. Before the actual shot, take a picture of a graycard (18%) or a spidercube. (to be used for the WB adjustement later) at that location.
    3. Optional, take a shot of a color checker card (X-rite). (used to calibrate the camera afterwards)
    4. In Lightroom or any other RAW converter program, select the picture of the gray card and use the eyedropper to set the WB (temperature).
    5. Apply these settings to all the pictures taken under the same light conditions.
    6. Optional, create a DNG file of the color checker card and apply it to the X-rite color checking software to create the camera profile, then selected that profile in LR. Redo de gray card eyedropper as in step 4.
    7. The colors should be fairly realistic, and you can now apply the tips referred to by Andy.

One of the best tricks Scott Kelby taught me.
  • Options
    SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    My girlfriend is a read head and I always fight with getting the right skin tones.
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • Options
    scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    I adjust it off the eyes also.. 401058_267774276621835_100001677949791_716036_1821802955_n.jpg this is Ramona 4 kids and about 36 years old..
    check out some of my pics on my smug mug site.
    http://www.scotthofferphotography.com
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    If I remember right, you can also use an area of "blackest black" to set white tone? In lightroom, if you have the navigator open, and click set white balance with the eye dropper, you can scan the image with it and see what the white balance would be like, as you move around the image. I actually ran into this issue recently, on a family members image, redhead and was struggling to get the skin tones.