Options

Did my first wedding show

Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
edited January 17, 2012 in Weddings
On Saturday I had a stand at a quite intimate wedding fayre at a hotel in Plymouth (England), there were only about 15 stands in total and I was the only photographer..... I'm still trying to work out if that we good or bad as there was no competition but also no one to potentially blow me away quality wise.

I had a fantastic time, no bookings, but I didn't ask for any as I'm really not into the pressure selling route, I encourage people to take their time and ensure they are happy not only with the photographs but also the person they are going to be working with. Have a few meetings set up so hopefully all will be worth while.

I really enjoyed myself, I love chatting to people so a great day as far as I'm concerned

A quick shot taken by my dad. My problem is I make everything look so small as I'm 6'6" tall and 20 stone smile.gif

Wedding-Fayer-01.jpg

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

Comments

• Options
    joyaphotodesignjoyaphotodesign Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 1, 2011
    Congrats Mate! Keep us informed if any of those meets resulted in a sale.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    Yeah definitely keep us informed / updated on if you get anything out of it... looks like a very well done set up!
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2011
    Hi Mark,

The display looks very nice & hope your meetings lead to more work.
    How did you mount the prints in the display?
    What size prints did you use in the display?

Take Care,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    www.aperturefocus.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    Chuck, really simple, I just used stick on velcro circles, one in each corner, that's it :)

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited December 11, 2011
    Great smile - I think that's the main draw for couples. Can't wait to hear about the meetings, keep us posted :D
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Mark1616 wrote: »
    My problem is I make everything look so small as I'm 6'6" tall and 20 stone smile.gif

Damn!

That means you bump your head more than I do and are even more squashed up in the back seat of cars or in busses, trains and planes.
    You have my sincere sympathy for that!

Your pics are simple and clear and can be easily made out even in the pic you posted here. Very good choices for display prints. I'm sure that will go a long way to selling your work.

Did you do a competition or collect names and contact details of the people you saw? I have found thats the real value of doing shows. I have been lucky to get a booking or 2 at the event, its afterward when you start selling in earnest.

Being the only shooter at a show?
    Can't remember the last time that happened. Here there are usually upwards of 10 and I have been to not all that big shows where there were 20.
    I prefer not to be the only guy there, I think it's good to have someone to be compared to as no 2 shooters are the same or appeal tot he exact same clientele but when there are too many, people get confused, it gets too hard to decide and people tend to put it in the too hard basket till later.
    Also I found when there are too many shooters some start getting desperate to have people look at their work or get bookings and make the clients very gun shy of all the shooters there.

Anyway, I hope you end up doing well from it. Could take up to a year before you really know how you did.
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    congratulations Mark!

basing on your experience from this, do you think you would do another wedding show?
  • Options
    oldlutheroldluther Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Mark, your display looks pretty good. I've done shows in the past, mostly where there was only one pro of each segment. one limo , one tux, one cake, one photographer, etc. I realized that most clients were there to compare what they already had booked. It still is a good way to showcase your professionalism and artistic presentation. Good job, Mark.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    Glort wrote: »
    Damn!

That means you bump your head more than I do and are even more squashed up in the back seat of cars or in busses, trains and planes.
    You have my sincere sympathy for that!

Your pics are simple and clear and can be easily made out even in the pic you posted here. Very good choices for display prints. I'm sure that will go a long way to selling your work.

Did you do a competition or collect names and contact details of the people you saw? I have found thats the real value of doing shows. I have been lucky to get a booking or 2 at the event, its afterward when you start selling in earnest.

Being the only shooter at a show?
    Can't remember the last time that happened. Here there are usually upwards of 10 and I have been to not all that big shows where there were 20.
    I prefer not to be the only guy there, I think it's good to have someone to be compared to as no 2 shooters are the same or appeal tot he exact same clientele but when there are too many, people get confused, it gets too hard to decide and people tend to put it in the too hard basket till later.
    Also I found when there are too many shooters some start getting desperate to have people look at their work or get bookings and make the clients very gun shy of all the shooters there.

Anyway, I hope you end up doing well from it. Could take up to a year before you really know how you did.

Tell me about it, being tall isn't the easiest sometimes but I wouldn't change a thing.

I ran a promo rather than a competition so didn't take names which I realise was a mistake. The main problem was that most people who were at this show already had a photographer, so for me, things were quiet. Same problem with the dress people as well. The florists were doing well though so possibly it is a time of year thing. I think a Feb or March one would be better.
    rhommel wrote: »
    congratulations Mark!

basing on your experience from this, do you think you would do another wedding show?

Not too sure, I'm almost fully booked for this year now and starting to take 2013 ones just from the site and word of mouth so need to work out if it is worthwhile. I would probably give one more a bash but at a different time of year.
    oldluther wrote: »
    Mark, your display looks pretty good. I've done shows in the past, mostly where there was only one pro of each segment. one limo , one tux, one cake, one photographer, etc. I realized that most clients were there to compare what they already had booked. It still is a good way to showcase your professionalism and artistic presentation. Good job, Mark.

Thanks, I think that can be true. I'm happy sticking with my 'normal' methods of getting customers for now so keeping on the first page of Google is key as is having a website that works for people.

• Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    Not too sure, I'm almost fully booked for this year now and starting to take 2013 ones just from the site and word of mouth so need to work out if it is worthwhile. I would probably give one more a bash but at a different time of year.

So did you end up booking a couple that came to your booth at the wedding show? Sorry for the ask, it's just that I am thinking of doing one in September but I am getting some mixed reviews about it...
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    rhommel wrote: »
    So did you end up booking a couple that came to your booth at the wedding show? Sorry for the ask, it's just that I am thinking of doing one in September but I am getting some mixed reviews about it...

Not as yet, but as I say the mix of people there was horrible for a photographer. The ones that didn't have a tog were looking quite low end. Probably should have aimed for a bigger show, but thought this would be a good toe in the water to learn from.

• Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    Not as yet, but as I say the mix of people there was horrible for a photographer. The ones that didn't have a tog were looking quite low end. Probably should have aimed for a bigger show, but thought this would be a good toe in the water to learn from.

good stuff! thanks.. I'll probably do the smaller ones.. the smaller bridal shows here in toronto are around September and the big ones are usually in January
  • Options
    WhitefootWhitefoot Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    I enjoy your display. Great not to be pushy. Seems like much window shopping is done before people make the jump and pick someone now.
  • Options
    JamesCroftPhotographyJamesCroftPhotography Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Nice work
    The display looks great, and I love your website... You have some outstanding work!
    Tim
    James Croft Photography
    http://www.JamesCroftPhotography.com
    Photography makes life worth living, or at least makes it more attractive.