Options

New twin exhaust job

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited October 2, 2005 in Holy Macro
Sorry about the title- but it is sitting on my car :D . A flying aphid taken with my emergency macro lens setup.
For those that don't know- the twin exhausts are where the aphid excretes alarm pheromones when attacked ( I thought it was where they excreted the sugar drops from). Comments welcome.

48266662_f021a5589e_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2005
    I would be a happy camper getting such a shot. :D
    Even though it was your emergency lens - dof is still enough for the picture.
    Hope the texture on your car is water or are cars availiable with such a bumpy paint job? rolleyes1.gif

I like your picture and your new driving buddy.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2005
    I would be a happy camper getting such a shot. :D
    Even though it was your emergency lens - dof is still enough for the picture.
    Hope the texture on your car is water or are cars availiable with such a bumpy paint job? rolleyes1.gif

I like your picture and your new driving buddy.

Sebastian
    Thanks Sebastion,
    As for the car- well I haven't washed it for a while and I think any metallic paint finish at this magnification (the aphid is about 5mm long) would look like that.:):
    Brian V.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Neat one Brian. Is he radio controlled? Those exausts certainly look like aerials rolleyes1.gif.

Any news on your Sigma?

alan
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    Neat one Brian. Is he radio controlled? Those exausts certainly look like aerials rolleyes1.gif.

Any news on your Sigma?

alan
    Thanks Al, certainly looks as if it could be an RC model!
    No news yet from sigma-uk apart from acknowledging receiving the lens. They said it could be 2 to 3 weeks. I'm actually almost getting used to my emergency lens setup (50mm pentax lens on pentax rings attached to a modded eos tmount). It gives me about 1.5:1 and the images seem excellent when I get them in focus. I'm shooting with the lens stopped down manually at F11 so the viewfinder is a bit dim lol.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    A Brown One
    Sorry about the title- but it is sitting on my car :D . A flying aphid taken with my emergency macro lens setup.
    For those that don't know- the twin exhausts are where the excess sugar drops are excreted by the aphid when feeding, which make such a mess of your car if you park under a tree with aphids on.
    Comments welcome.
    Hi there Lord Vetinari.......... we mostly get the green variety around my place.

Actually I was outside today checking out my Swan Plants to see if there was any catapillars on it since I've been gone......but alas...there is none :cry darn.
    They have quite an interesting body don't they.

I like watching the ants milk them, and I have seen the Lady Bugs get stuck into them too....the insect world is a fascinating one isn't it.

Great shot as per usual with you......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    Thanks skippy.
    Yes they they do seem to have some interesting body structure- this is the first time I've managed to shoot one which didn't just have an amorphous blob for a body.
    Presumably your bug season is just getting going down there.
    Brian V.