jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
edited January 17, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Found on an iffy street in Rio.

JHP8426ebw-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Good shot, Jim, but it'd have been even better if you'd waited a fraction of a second to let the guy's face get into that blank spot about a foot in front of him. But I speak from experience. I can't count the number of shots I've blown by shooting too soon.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 15, 2012
    Nice shot, but if I were to be picky, I'd say the problem here is not so much the face but that the briefcase is lost in the background. I think that the briefcase is more important, as that's the basis of the juxtaposition. So sooner, not later. Or perhaps a color version? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2012
    Sorry to disagree, Richard, but faces always are critical. On the other hand, I do agree that if the title of the picture is going to point to the briefcase then the briefcase ought to be distinguisable.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Well, I can agree with both of you and here's why: if physics tell us anything, the right arm is about to swing forward as the man takes his next step, bringing his head into a clear area, and the briefcase will be clear of the distracting leg foreground for just a moment. Or, he may have his right arm very stable, but still the next leg movement will probably give more clarity to the briefcase.

Conclusion: You should have waited one more second to take the shot, but, all things considered, it's interesting, and there aren't many folks here with the skill to grab the aforementioned mystery image unless they were prepared for it.
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »

Conclusion: You should have waited one more second to take the shot, but, all things considered, it's interesting, and there aren't many folks here with the skill to grab the aforementioned mystery image unless they were prepared for it.

There aren't too many folks anywhere that can do that. However, that's what we should strive forwings.gif
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Thanks for all the comments. Yes, I actually wish the briefcase had been in the other hand, but... What originally caught my eye was the obvious juxtaposition of a businessman walking through a marginal (at best) area, wondering what he was doing there. I think the suggestion about the color version may work a bit better since there is more contrast between case & wall. I'll try to post tonight when I home. And yes, I wish I waited an extra second or so for him to clear the graffiti face. Also, I cropped this at a 2:1 ratio, any thoughts?

I found the original color one, shown here:

JHP8426e-L.jpg

although I think i prefer the b&w. Thanks for your input, its clear that successful street photos are made or lost in a second or two of timing!
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Another good example of why "Titles" are a waste, and good ones require far more thought then we/I give them.

and Yes your timing was tad off, no biggie been there done that, plan on doing it again mwink.gif

Like the B&W best.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    The color give mores definition to the brief case.

The color nails the photogs concept, the b&w misses (IMO)

Good grab
    Rags
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    Right, Rags. This is one of those times when color is better. The whole thing comes alive in this version.