Options

Angles & Shapes

peterzpeterz Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited January 18, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Any comments pro/con would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks... Peter

http://www.peterzphotography.org/

"To take a photograph is to align the head, the eye and the heart. It's a way of life." Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    I like it. But it took me a few to gain what it was. Very Yin/Yang-like too.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2012
    Tom,

Thanks for your kind comment.

Peter
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Nice. It has an Escher quality to it..,
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    I like the balance and the tones.

...and welcome to the challenges.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2012
    Thank you everyone..
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Welcome to the challenges! Very nice!

I notice that it has a border. Best to post it in the challenge "Entry" thread at the top of the forum and ask that it is OK.

Also, I noticed in the gallery that the Date Taken is not showing. You can post a link to the original that has the Date Taken in it under your entry. From the challenge thread, thanks to Sherry, here's a link to explain how to do this: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=609
  • Options
    Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Double Checking, I also just noticed that the EXIF data is not there.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Since your new I can help explain what we're looking at. If you put your mouse over the large image there will be a pop out from the upper right side, if you click the " i " button it will show the EXIF data which is required in the challenges. By clicking on other images you can see what it looks like.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Looks good :) Welcome to the challenges!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Welcome, Peter...

I like your photo a lot for this challenge. The symmetry of form within the frame is offset by the distinctly different content of the left and right portions. It's a nice combination of abstract and concrete.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    To echo Troy, the one you submitted to the Challenges gallery doesn't have the full exif data attached. You'll need to fix that or it will be tossed. There's ton in this forum regarding how to export/import photos to preserve that data. Search it. Biggest thing is to not use the Save for Web cmd in photoshop when exporting for this purpose.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    I'm pretty sure I Saved to Web. How can I change that so the photo is accepted.
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    peterz wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I Saved to Web. How can I change that so the photo is accepted.
    You will have to re-open the original psd file, hopefully you saved it with all your edits, and then re-save your image by choosing "Save as", and then it should have your original EXIF information.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    Well I did what you said then I couldn't remember where the Gallery Submissions was. I have a hard time remembering all the steps. I guess I'll just have to pass. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    The entry submission thread is alway a "sticky", sticky means always at the top of the Dgrin challenges forum category.

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Here is the direct link. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=213069
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    Go back to your original, save it using the Save As method, as a jpeg. That will preserve the exif data. Then go to the link Troy gave you. Sign in as challenges/challenges, as instructed, and upload the pic. It's a nice pic. Do it!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited January 17, 2012
    Welcome to Dgrin! I am joining the chorus in encouraging you to enter your shot with the exif data! Then go to your other entry and change the caption from Peterz - Stairz to Please Delete.

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    First let me say that I have NEVER been welcomed to a forum, website, etc., etc., the way you folks have welcomed and helped me. It restores my faith that there are people out there who do care and are willing to be unselfish. I could go on and on but suffice it to say THANK YOU SO MUCH...

PeterZ

I have to tell you that I have tried every way to put the exif stuff with the photo but it just isn't happening. I'm even exporting it from Lightroom and I can see all the data next to it but when I export it NADA... I have tried to delete them but all it says at the bottom is delete. I'm trying so hard to learn this but it's not working to well. I just don't know...
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    It's a terrific photo, very on theme. You're off to such a good start...hope you enter it. GP
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    Where is the Challenge Submissions gallery? I can't find it.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    peterz wrote: »

I have to tell you that I have tried every way to put the exif stuff with the photo but it just isn't happening. I'm even exporting it from Lightroom and I can see all the data next to it but when I export it NADA... I have tried to delete them but all it says at the bottom is delete. I'm trying so hard to learn this but it's not working to well. I just don't know...

You ought not to have to put the EXIF 'with' the photo. It started out with it. So what was your process/workflow. If you name that process perhaps someone here can redirect you to having your exif.
    I used GIMP for years and it is notorious for stripping EXIF by default.

And/or if you have the original, you can also upload that and just show That image along with the exif for that image. That is the acceptable way when for instance you do some Cool or neat graphics work in a photo that wasn't originally there.
    tom wise
  • Options
    NelsonKNelsonK Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    I'm looking at the Beta version of Lightroom 4 and it seems to have a bunch of options in the Export feature. In the hopes that this feature shows as little difference from v.3 as the rest of them, here goes: The option that controls EXIF data is called "Metadata" Make sure the drop down box is set to "all" and you are exporting to "Hard Drive". Good luck, and I hope to see your shot in the final entries.
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    I see EXIF data now, but it shows Jan 3 for date taken, while I think it mst be between Jan 9 and Jan 23, right? I have a real good picture from Jan 6 myself :D

cheers,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here