Options

How's Your Sense of Humor??

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited January 19, 2012 in People
It took me a week but mine is back.

THE STORY:

Last week I was on a photo cruise to Mexico with a bunch of models and photographers. In Cozumel there were some great rocks with a banner above that said "Anything Can Happen". I thought it would be a great frame so I posed the model and then walked out into the Gulf of Mexico to get this shot:

140980506.jpg

This image represents the final 5 seconds in the life of my 550D AND my 24-105 L because as I snapped the shutter, the camera, the lens and I ALL WENT FOR AN UNDERWATER SWIM. :cry I spent the next three days with my backup camera either shooting from down the block with my 70-200 OR walking back and forth with my 50mm 1.4 prime.

Canon Tech informs me that salt water damage presents a really poor prognosis for repair so I now have a refurbed 600D through the Canon Loyalty Program (they were really terrific) and a beautiful 24-105L paperweight.:huh

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play???
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    My sincere condolences on the damaged gear :cry
    But the story/content is priceless! clap.gif
    And, as they usually say, for everything else there is a Mastercard deal.gifwinkrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif Nikolai.

As you say, it's certainly a good story but not exactly "priceless".ne_nau.gif

The price so far is $540.00 for the refurb 600D/T3i through Canon Loyalty and probably $800.00 or so for another used 24-105 f4L. Actually, the person who should be upset is my son since I'm spending his inheritance.

On the bright side, I also tore up my ankle in that little swim, so my bar bill on the ship was greatly reduced by the fact that pain meds do not mix with Jack Daniels. Since I enjoy breathing, the rest of my week was Diet Coke and iced tea time.rolleyes1.gif
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    I confess to a black-humoured chortle when I read this, 'cos I know *exactly* how you must have felt -with several differences.

Nos involved were far greater.
    Fresh rather than salt water.
    Feathered rather than bikini clad subjects.
    Insured.

I can still see 'the moment' in my mind's eye ... and remember the feeling of utter helplessness as a be-wellied foot was stuck in the mud, stopping me do anything about the event :)

Unfortuately in my case, there was no-one else around at the time to benefit from having their vocabulary extended.

pp
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    A disaster of epic proportions although it is hard to feel sorry for a guy that spent a week on a cruise ship with pretty models.

I am indeed sorry for the financial loss, but it could have been worse. For instance, you could have dropped a Nikon. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    Paul - Misery does indeed love company and I do believe a few of the Mexican waiters got a really good start in colloquial English.rolleyes1.gif

Bryce, didn't I tell you I was using a Nikon to stand on when I slipped??rolleyes1.gif

By the way, there was some cost savings involved. I tore up my ankle pretty well during my adventure, so my bar tab went WAY down since Jack Daniels and pain meds don't play nice with each other. It is indeed MUCH cheaper to be limited to iced tea and diet coke on a cruise ship. I may actually have saved enough to pay for the new camera.mwink.gif
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    but it could have been worse. For instance, you could have dropped a Nikon. rolleyes1.gif

True.

Considering how some people describe said make, the environmental impact would've eclipsed previous similar disasters.

pp
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Y'ouch!!! Sorry about that. Did you at least get some great shots before the catastrophe?

How come you haven't jumped up to the next level of Canons, John? You'd looovvveee having the thumbwheel and a few of the other niceties that come with the XXd and up series (and isn't the 60d refurb about that price via Canon usa? Or am I confused (most likely - I spend much of my time confused at the moment rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    Hi Diva,

Got some decent stuff before the swim but, to be honest, I had been in a bit of a slump for awhile before the cruise. The silver lining may be that I was forced to shoot for 3 days without the 24-105 so my 50mm 1.4 (that I KNOW you love) and my 70-200 got a workout. That also forced me to change some of my operating methods and my absolute best images came on the last day with a fresh perspective.

As for why stay with the xxxD it's simple. They fit my hand. One of the other guys had a 60D and it just isn't as comfortable for me. Since the sensor is the same in both, I don't lose much by staying with the 600D.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Can yousay Nikonos!!!! Do theystill make those? Sorry for your loss though.
  • Options
    KevyGKevyG Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 18, 2012
    Question
    So did you have your camera and lens insured. I have thought about doing it, but I haven't found a good place at a good price. I have a 1ds mark ii and a 1d mark ii, with all l series lenses. Does anyone have a suggestion for insurance that is affordable? www.bestboisephotographers.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Ouch!!
    I know exactly that kick in the gut feeling when you drop your expensive camera and lens. I dropped a 500 off a tripod straight to the concrete and dropped a camera and lens off my tripod that bounced 50 yards down into a desert canyon.
    I though I had learned my lesson on that stuff...till I sat my camera on a fence this last fall and it fell off right on the concrete....that one is still in repair.

How smart did you feel that you threw that backup camera in there at the last minute :). Glad you were able to salvage the trip....looks like a lot of fun.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Oh man...so sorry to hear that but I'm glad you have something to shoot with again....I'd be lost with my cam....
    Yo soy Reynaldo