Advice on selling bunches of prolab darkroom equipment

snavarresnavarre Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited January 20, 2012 in Flea Market
Hi, I work at once was Cies Sexton Photo lab in Denver, CO. We still have a bunch of old darkroom and photo gear collecting dust. There are Chromega D color enlargers with timers. Ilford BW enlarger. Tons of lenses for these (Nikkor, Schneider, Rodenstock), film carriers. Some studio lighting and gear we used for copying artwork. A huge Durst 8x10 enlarger. 8x10 Calumet film camera. Tabletop Forox copy system. Anyone have suggestions as to a good way to sell this stuff? I imagine ebay may be the best, but some of this stuff we do not know the working condition anymore so it would seem having people come by in person might be the best way. I dunno. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Craigslist and advertise at the local college. Start thinking 5 cents on the dollar is a GREAT price.
  • snavarresnavarre Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Travel wrote: »
    Craigslist and advertise at the local college. Start thinking 5 cents on the dollar is a GREAT price.

College idea is good idea. Craigslist could be hard manage with all the stuff I'm not doing the actual selling and will pass it on to those who are. And yup we realize there's not much money to be made, but the stuff is usable to film buffs...hate to throw it out. I've been at this place long enough to see, at one time, a $200,000 E-6 film processor get thrown in the trash because there was no market. (I still run a Durst Lambda Digital Photographic Imager there though). Thanks again. :)
  • scottgee1scottgee1 Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    If it's any consolation, this situation is not unique to photo gear. Years ago I worked for Honeywell and one of my customers was a major supplier to the auto industry. They made the mistake of buying (rather than leasing) an autocad type system. Maintenance costs exceeded material cost and they couldn't give away what had been hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of hardware and software.