Options

G20 Riots.

marcusrichphotomarcusrichphoto Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
edited January 21, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Hey guys, I'd love to get your impressions on this picture taken at the 2009 G20 riots in London, have I done the picture justice or have I over tweeked (I am sometimes guilty of this)?

G20-L.jpg
Marcus.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

My website: http://www.marcusrichphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited January 18, 2012
    It's a great shot, but IMO the processing makes it look unreal.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    It's a great shot, but IMO the processing makes it look unreal.

Thanks for your comment Richard, what is the key thing you would say makes it look unreal?

I made some contrast adjustments, added some detail and threw some of the crowd out of focus to try and pick out some of the key charactors in the crowd and give it more drama.

Here is the original...

G20-89-L.jpg
    Marcus.

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Your 2nd post is much better. The first one draws too much attention to the PP, not enough to the action, which is where your real story is.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    Your 2nd post is much better. The first one draws too much attention to the PP, not enough to the action, which is where your real story is.

What he said.:-) And I would add that the color in this one also seems a bit 'off.' I'd like to see this in a good black and white conversion as I find the color distracting.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    What he said.:-) And I would add that the color in this one also seems a bit 'off.' I'd like to see this in a good black and white conversion as I find the color distracting.

Thanks guys, I'll have a stab at a mono conversion later and post back. Here is a B&W image from the same set...

G20-90-L.jpg
    Marcus.

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Like the BW, but I'm not a fan of HDR or whatever it's called.
  • Options
    NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    I like them all- The processing on the 1st one looks cinematic. It works well. I would have loved to be there to get some pics.

good job.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Nmahooch wrote: »
    I like them all- The processing on the 1st one looks cinematic. It works well. I would have loved to be there to get some pics.

good job.

I would agree with that, and no I don't care for HDR but this one has some draw to me.

To me the B&W needs more contrast.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    I like the crop in #1, but I think it is over processed. It somehow works though. Having said that I think a very contrasty and grainy BW would maintain the sense of drama and tension just as effectively.

Great shot.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Thanks for all your comments guys. I still quite like the first image, although looking back at it, I'd tone down the saturation a little, especially the reds, I'll have a go at a B&W version too, didn't have time to do it last night.

By the way, the image isn't HDR, I made the adjustments using a Photoshop plug-in called Topaz Adjust.
    Marcus.

• Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Nmahooch wrote: »

good job.

I went along to the protest in my work lunch hour, I ended up being stuck in the middle of it all for nearly 3 hours, only managing to get out with the help of a press photographer, it was really exciting stuff. I saw which way the crowd were going and could feel it was about to kick off, so I grabbed the best position I could, held my ground against other photographers and started clicking away just as all the action started.
    Marcus.

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Thanks for all your comments guys. I still quite like the first image, although looking back at it, I'd tone down the saturation a little, especially the reds, I'll have a go at a B&W version too, didn't have time to do it last night.

By the way, the image isn't HDR, I made the adjustments using a Photoshop plug-in called Topaz Adjust.

Adjust does create a very strong HDR-style effect. I prefer to use it on a seperate layer so that I can fade the opacity. BTW, I don't think it's wrong to use creative effects like Topaz on an image like this, but in your first image it is so strong that it overpowers your message.

If you haven't read it yet, I recommend David DuChemin's Vision and Voice, which has some really good insights about when and how to post-process images in order to realize (voice) your vision.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    Adjust does create a very strong HDR-style effect. I prefer to use it on a seperate layer so that I can fade the opacity. BTW, I don't think it's wrong to use creative effects like Topaz on an image like this, but in your first image it is so strong that it overpowers your message.

If you haven't read it yet, I recommend David DuChemin's Vision and Voice, which has some really good insights about when and how to post-process images in order to realize (voice) your vision.

Hey Mark.

I do use Topaz the same way, but guess I overdid it a little on this occasion. Topaz is one of my fav plug-ins for CS5, but I must resist using it quite so much. I've been learning to use High Pass filter and other CS5 tools to get similar, but less drastic results.

The books looks intesting, I'll nip off to Amazon and get myself a copy.

Thanks,

M.
    Marcus.

• Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    sara505 wrote: »
    Like the BW, but I'm not a fan of HDR or whatever it's called.

Hahaha. Sara, I think I love you now. Don't tell my wife.
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    For what it's worth... I like the 1st shot best ... But I think it needed just a hit of blacks in LR...
    IMO ... The issue i think people have with images tweaked like this is that they aren't used to seeing the demension this processing affords. Imagine what it was like when people first got a look at color images... This is the way things are going to go with our images... I am already seeing images like this in news papers... So I say... More please... And thank you;)
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Hahaha. Sara, I think I love you now. Don't tell my wife.

Ha ha - the story of my life :-)
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    Incredible shots! Well seen and taken.

...And my belief is that if the photo speaks for itself, then any "overboard" treatment devalues the image. These images speak for themselves!
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2012
    I'm going to chide in 1 more time... It's not an overboard treatment... It is literally a new style of photography... I remember when I bought my 1st digital camera in '99... I didn't like not having my negatives - nothing to hold up to the light.
    You have to admit there is added definition & depth.

Have you done any portraits with this technique? I would love to see more... I'll be posting some of my junk here pretty soon
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2012
    So, I've finally got around to doing a B&W version of the first image, here is the result...

G20bw-L.jpg
    Marcus.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2012
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    I'm going to chide in 1 more time... It's not an overboard treatment... It is literally a new style of photography... I remember when I bought my 1st digital camera in '99... I didn't like not having my negatives - nothing to hold up to the light.

Have you done any portraits with this technique? I would love to see more... I'll be posting some of my junk here pretty soon

Howdy Cowboydoug, thanks for your kind comments.

Here's a portrait done with a similar technique, using the high-pass filter...

Bali-483-L.jpg
    Marcus.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2012
    Love the shot... Show us a larger version of your Self portrait

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2012

Love the shot... Show us a larger version of your Self portrait

On the way to a 70's fancy dress party... :cool

i-V6Q4jnk-S.jpg
    Marcus.

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    I like the first one...big fan of HDR...when it's not overdone, and I don't think yours is...in my opinion. HDR has a lot to offer. Other than the post processing, I also like the crop...it's up close and personal. When you pull back, you lose the participation factor...so, number one is my favorite of the color processed ones.

I also like your RAW mono conversion...very nice angle...good capture...I think you were in just the right place to capture the crowd...inspiring. I get the feeling that I'm looking through a window, albeit a monotone window.

Thanks for posting...maybe Dgrin would like to start a forum for HDR.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    I like the first one...big fan of HDR...when it's not overdone, and I don't think yours is...in my opinion. HDR has a lot to offer. Other than the post processing, I like the crop...it's up close and personal. When you pull back, you lose the participation factor...so, number one is my favorite of the color processed ones.

I also like your RAW mono conversion...very nice angle...good capture...I think you were in just the right place to capture the crowd...inspiring. I get the feeling that I'm looking through a window, albeit a monotone window.

Thanks for posting...maybe Dgrin would like to start a forum for HDR.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> Hey Ed,

Thanks for your comments.

I definitely believe HDR, or whatever it’s called, has its place amongst all styles of photography, some shots it suits, some it doesn’t. Why should an HDR conversion be viewed any differently to say, a black and white edit, or any other styles of photographic editing. Sure, some people are guilty of over doing it, I certainly did this in some of my early experiments, but if it’s used well, it can really enhance an image.

Red Epic cameras offer a dynamic range of 18 stops, these cameras are way out of most people’s price range, but if your affordable camera had this function, would you refuse to use it, I don’t think so personally.

I’d also like to see an HDR thread/forum, it'd certainly ruffle a few feathers :D
    Marcus.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2012
    Howdy Cowboydoug, thanks for your kind comments.

Here's a portrait done with a similar technique, using the high-pass filter...

Bali-483-L.jpg

Forgive my ignorance... How does a high pass filter compare to ... Say... photomatix? I'm guessing high pass is simply a PS filter? I haven't played with it yet but will give it a look-see in a bit.
    Just last night I loaded my 1st panorama into photomatix... I'm still working it and it's taking shape... Considering I don't know what I'm doing:)

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2012
    Forgive my ignorance... How does a high pass filter compare to ... Say... photomatix? I'm guessing high pass is simply a PS filter? I haven't played with it yet but will give it a look-see in a bit.
    Just last night I loaded my 1st panorama into photomatix... I'm still working it and it's taking shape... Considering I don't know what I'm doing:)

I meant a similar technique to Topaz Adjust, I haven't used Photomatix for any of these images. High Pass can give an image a more contrasty punch and grittyness, it's also a great sharpening tool, depending on which blending mode you use.

P.s. I look forward to seeing your results.
    Marcus.