Help with this image.

oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
edited January 25, 2012 in Landscapes
This image is not especially sharp (handheld,squating), but I'm quite fond of it regardless because of the light that day. The question is...is it too dark? The histogram suggests it may be underexposed but when I bring up the exposure it seems to lose some of the light quality...starts to flaten out.

What say you?

IMGP5442-L.jpg

Comments

• PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    I love it too. I can see why you like it so much. Wonderful shot. I am a noob so I will not be able to answer your guestions. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy it. Where is it at?

Darryl rolleyes1.gif

oldoval wrote: »
    This image is not especially sharp (handheld,squating), but I'm quite fond of it regardless because of the light that day. The question is...is it too dark? The histogram suggests it may be underexposed but when I bring up the exposure it seems to lose some of the light quality...starts to flaten out.

What say you?

IMGP5442-L.jpg
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
  • oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Darryl, thank you. This is above La Verkin Utah looking west.
  • austinjamesaustinjames Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    in my opinion it looks great, light and tones add mood. Think something would be lost if you brightened it up much more...colors would become washed out
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Yeah it's appealing certainly, but not as exciting as it could be, perhaps. If you care to use Ps (there are parallels in Lr etc, and plug in filter options) I would suggest doing a white point adjustment on the clouds only to get brighter whites, and then blending those resulting highlights in a copy of the background, and again blend in another copy of the background layer in Multiply mode, brushing in mid and low tones in sky, to taste, opacity to taste, once again on sky only. In the rest (not sky), you won't lose by lifting midtones exposure and boosting midtone contrast (is the middle of the h'gram comparatively flat?). Sharpen same with USM ~190/0.7/3 in Normal or Luminosity blend mode (experiment). Lift saturation slightly overall. Do everything on the lesser side of moderate, and go more heavy handed if you see the image is going in the right direction and can take it.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 22, 2012
    Neil. I only use LR so a lot of your advise/directions may be lost on me. I've never done any type of layering, blending, etc. The histogram is bunched up toward the left mostly.
  • CrokeyCrokey Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    Would even something as simple as lifting the tone curve at the edge of the midtones but pegging it down in the shadows work?An S-curve but without darkening the shadows. This will brighten the sky too much for this, so maybe drop an ND grad over it in lightroom. Alternatively,(or additionally)you could just pull the exposure over to the left, or the brightness slider which seems to effect the midtones less aggressively than exposure.Then play with recovery and an ND, or brushes to return the sky to a more subtle luminosity. It's also possible that you could sacrifice the warm light a bit and go for a slightly, very slightly, cooler color which should show more contrast between the warm highlights and the cooler, blue shadows in the foreground.I forgot to actually mention the composition which is very attractive, it's the kind of place I would love to sit on a rock for 15 min and take a break during a hike.
  • knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    I worked on a copy of your photo using HSL in LR. Hope you do not mind my making a copy. Using the targeted adjustment tool I increased the luminance of the grasses in front. This increased the luminance of orange and yellow. Next I targeted the clouds and decreased their luminance. I thought I should decrease the luminance of the cliffs. To do this I decreased the red luminance. If I had not been able to decrease the luminance of the cliffs with red, I would have brushed the cliffs to take down their brightness so that the viewer's eye would first go to the brighter grasses. After these moves you could also do some work on the curve a bit. I'm working on my laptop so the luminance moves may be too much or too little for your tastes.

Hope you can see these changes in these copies.

before-L.jpgafter-L.jpg
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 22, 2012
    I like what Knapp did, but the foreground is too bright. I would reprocess this with a negative brightness or exposure gradient from the bottom to the top.
  • knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    I agree with you after seeing the photos on a calibrated monitor and not on my laptop. The foreground is too bright. A bit less luminance with the HSL sliders would be in order.
    edited January 22, 2012
    Last night I played around with it a little more and did something similar to what Crockey suggested. I burned the sky a bit to bring out more color and detail while dodgeing the highlights in the sky to bring back some of the whites like Neil suggested. I brought up the lumunance of the grass in the foreground too, though not as much Knapph did.

I really need to practice more with tone curves as it seems there is a lot to be gained there.

Thank you for the help so far everyone....feel free to play with it as much as you like, I enjoy the lessons.

IMGP5442-3-X2.jpg
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012

What say you?

I don't use Lightroom but I believe everything I did you can do in Lightroom.

IMGP5442-3-X2.jpg

i-K29kkxw-X2.jpg

Brighten Midtones- Added a Linear Curve
    Increase saturation on Yellow, Blue, and Red
    A little more contrast adjustments with Black-Mid-and White points
    A little sharpening
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited January 22, 2012
    That has some snap to it Aaron, I like it. I guess I'm still a bit timid about going very far in any direction in my processing yet. Still learning.
  • DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2012

What say you?

IMGP5442-L.jpg

Beautiful picture! Not knowing what the landscape was like originally, I don't see anything that would tell me that is underexposed. Personally I like the look of images that are slightly underexposed. The colors are much more rich IMO.
    Brian -
    Digi-Scapes | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    That has some snap to it Aaron, I like it. I guess I'm still a bit timid about going very far in any direction in my processing yet. Still learning.

As long as you save an untouched file you can't go to far with editing. Just delete it if it is bad. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • masterofonemasterofone Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    A little exposure, some color, pulled some noise out of the clouds, and a bit of sharpening.

i-JLgpKB4-L.jpgi-MWF8Bwf-L.jpg
    Brian
    Have keyboard and opinion.

Senska Photography
  • PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    You guys did a wonderful job with the images. I enjoyed the original then came back and I can see how just a simple tweek here and there can make a huge difference. Thank you for showing this noob all about post editing.

Darryl rolleyes1.gif
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    the original does seem just a bit flat and underexposed. with all the edits posted, i've a bit lost track, but i think i like Oldoval's edit best.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com