Options

Old World Gentlemen

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited January 22, 2012 in Street and Documentary
On my way out the door to do afternoon errands, I came upon, within thirty seconds of each other, two of my neighbors, Leon and Dennis, and was thrilled when each of them graciously allowed me to grab a quick portrait in the gorgeous light of the vestibule of our building, and even happier with the results (are we supposed to be boycotting the internet today? Sorry, I can't keep track of this stuff).

brklne-8698-M.jpg
Leon

brklne-8702-M.jpg
Dennis

Comments

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Good light and good informal portraits, Sara. Good work.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    feel a bit tight to me, but yes would not pass on the light thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    feel a bit tight to me, but yes would not pass on the light thumb.gif

Thanks for commenting, Ben. I also have slightly wider views that include the hands - I love hands - but these are meant to be all about the faces.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Good light and good informal portraits, Sara. Good work.

Thanks, Russ - from you, I'll take it :-)
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Sara, to my eye those are lovely shots: great lighting on the subject and a very subtle editorial hand. I like the simplicity of technique, which allows the richness of the subjects to shine through. Really beautiful!!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 19, 2012
    Both are nice shots. I think the light in #2 is better. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Sara, I just took a look at your personal website, and love your eye and editorial restraint. You see an interesting subject, capture it very effectively, then let it tell its own story. Really nice work!
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    Sara, to my eye those are lovely shots: great lighting on the subject and a very subtle editorial hand. I like the simplicity of technique, which allows the richness of the subjects to shine through. Really beautiful!!
    Thanks, John. Yup, keeping it simple these days, back to basics with just my 5D&50/1.4 slung over the shoulder at all times (thinking I would ever use the G12 in my purse was delusional, for the most part), composing in-camera, no flash, simple BW conversion in LR. Pure drop. Stripping down has changed my photography drastically. So to speak (I still put on clothes when I leave the house).
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    Both are nice shots. I think the light in #2 is better. thumb.gif
    Thanks, Richard. Amazing, isn't it, what only a slight change of angle will do. Leon had the light coming in from the side, Dennis had the light full-on. I think I like the side light and the drama it adds.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    Sara, I just took a look at your personal website, and love your eye and editorial restraint. You see an interesting subject, capture it very effectively, then let it tell its own story. Really nice work!
    Thanks, John - for looking and for your comment. Much appreciated:D
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Very nice, Sara. Very nice indeed.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Very nice, Sara. Very nice indeed.
    Thanks, BD. Your opinion means a lot. :D
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    You certainly have an eye for quality light, as evidenced in these and the violinist shot I commented on before.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    You certainly have an eye for quality light, as evidenced in these and the violinist shot I commented on before.

Ah, Quincy! Much easier - I like it! Great avatar, too.

Thank you very much for your comment. It's true - I have a fondness for light :-) Which is why I am head over heels in love with BW, because the light is what it's all about.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    sara505 wrote: »
    Ah, Quincy! Much easier - I like it! Great avatar, too.

Thank you very much for your comment. It's true - I have a fondness for light :-) Which is why I am head over heels in love with BW, because the light is what it's all about.

I can only agree with your sentiments. I do love people, down to my core I do. But, if I find great lighting, I honestly don't care who walks into it.

Thanks for the avatar compliment, I was trying impromptu reflectors out, using a big thick piece of white paper. Not sure if it worked out exactly like I wanted, but I still got a good image. You just need to tell the folks over at DPChallenge that it's good, hahaha.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2012
    I can only agree with your sentiments. I do love people, down to my core I do. But, if I find great lighting, I honestly don't care who walks into it.

Thanks for the avatar compliment, I was trying impromptu reflectors out, using a big thick piece of white paper. Not sure if it worked out exactly like I wanted, but I still got a good image. You just need to tell the folks over at DPChallenge that it's good, hahaha.

I think that my formative years, with no light-meter (using the guideline on the side of the Tri-X box, which I remember by heart) and shooting everything in manual mode, definitely helped sensitize me to light. I still shoot all-manual-all-the-time, which makes me constantly aware of my surroundings. On some level, I am constantly reading and analyzing the light - direction, quality, brightness, contrast, etc.

Good light is the difference between a snapshot and a photograph in most cases, I believe.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012

Glad to hear I am not the only one who finds good light, then waits for a subject to walk into it.

I posted this elsewhere on this forum, but it's an example of light that was waiting for a subject. It's not the richest street shot I have done, but you'd never guess this was a bus stop.

p1033204667-6.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012

Ha ha - Quincy, I just realized that you have inserted my remark into your profile - you are too funny. Just don't let them put it my tombstone rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    I like the these environmental portraits, Leon is the one that stands out to me the most,although it causes me to wonder about the fashion of the hats that these gentleman wear, and is it something that will disappear in the foreseeable future .
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    I like the these environmental portraits, Leon is the one that stands out to me the most,although it causes me to wonder about the fashion of the hats that these gentleman wear, and is it something that will disappear in the foreseeable future .

Probably not, in this Jewish Orthodox neighborhood, the conventions of which transcend more worldly fashion trends.