Mary Celeste - Casual Sailor

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited January 24, 2012 in People
OK so Ashley in the white dress didn't thrill anyone. I got that.

How about Mary Celeste having a casual drink while she steers her course on the briny?

Taken aboard the Jewel of the Seas just outside my "at sea" office, The Schooner Bar.

p117782-4.jpg

p362019277-4.jpg

p56116726-4.jpg

p282150744-4.jpg

and a semi Hi-Key bikini ashore just for fun
p1039768191-4.jpg
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Hope your feeling better from your mishap and are off of the pain killers so you can go back to "self medicating" :D

Being brutally honest. Not a big fan of the first two as she looks uncomfortable and posed. The boat shots all look like snap shots taken with an on camera flash to me.

The last one is the best lighting and pose wise to me. The cute tushie didn't hurt matters either!
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Also in numbers 1-3 you can see the specular highlight on the left side from your flash? Perhaps something else but defiantly noticeable.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • canoesailorcanoesailor Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    The sailing effect is somewhat spoiled by the shadows on the "water"

otherwise a very desirable crewrolleyes1.gif
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    First, thanks all.

Second, lemme 'splain, we were snooting in a VERY busy hallway leading to my "at sea" office, The Schooner Bar. RCCL definitely did not want lightstands anywhere in public areas so on camera flas, bounced around, was the entire menu.

On second look I agree somewhat about the pose in 1 & 2 but I like 3.

Bryce, you know I love your work and appreciate your comments but "snapshots"
    Seriously?
    My concepts may be terrific or terrible, my execution may rock or suck and my eye may be steely or soft, but Do you think I didn't consider the bkg, lighting, pose or model? Nahhh, I don't think so. ne_nau.gif

On the other hand, thanks for the wishes. My ankle has fully healed but I do miss the pain meds. rolleyes1.gif
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    ok...so you say you were drinking?....lol
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    I like #4 -- has a Terry Richardson-esque style. Though I'd probably like it better 4x5 so you'd lose some of the bottom of the frame.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Yeah, those first three should probably be tossed out. The posing is pretty rough and there's a shadow on the fake water making the photos look poorly staged at best. Try getting your models to arch their backs if you're going to do a pose like that.

Not your best work, John.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Thanks all.

Dogwood, I'm definitely getting that impression. You KNOW I get in trouble every time I go indoors.headscratch.gifscratch

On the other hand, as an outdoor guy, my winters are for learning and stretching my envelope. I actually look forward to the beatings on here. They've been WAY valuable to me in the past.

We'll see what happens when I take Mary and the others to the ship pools.